Pet Craft Links

Winterpaws

I'm looking for a 'sunsuit' pattern for a very white/pink staffy pup... she's got a lot of growing to do so I don't want to buy one as she'll be out of it in no time. Her belly and inner thighs are particularly pink, and she's already lying on her back in the sun.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Susan

Not quite a sunsuit, but when our Whippet was growing, we'd buy kids T shirts, and put elastic in the hem to hold them onto the dog. You may need to make a few nicks in the neckline to accomodate some dogs. These work well and are very cheap, and wash well. You can get sun safe T shirts at Best and Less and other cheap clothing shops. (SPF 50 plus)

Although they don't cover the legs, the dog probably won't want to bake as much as they are a bit warmer when clothed. I used these but was home to monitor the dog and prevent overheating WARNING- be careful that the dog doesn't overheat.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New link for hooded hound coat......

go to http://www.duncanspca.com/

enter the site , find the link that says more, then go to animal clothing

lots of stuff here:

cabled jacket.pdf

carolines dog sweater.pdf

doggie sweater.pdf

fleece dog sweater.pdf

hooded greyhound coat.pdf

puppy sweater.pdf

puppy sweater1.pdf

puppy sweater2.pdf

puppy sweater3.pdf

small dog sweater.pdf

• 5 weeks later...

Ridiculously cute dog hoodie :rofl:

http://www.urbanthreads.com/pages?id=192

I'm no where near good enough to make this but hopefully one day :D

Pattern for full dog suit incl legs. Is listed as a raincoat but have read someone used polar fleece with this pattern to make pyjamas

http://www.saunalahti.fi/glottis/raincoat.htm

Edited by Sezz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if this has already been mentioned....

www.ravelry.com

Has heaps of knitting and crochet patterns, a lot of them are free. There are quite a few things in there for dogs eg a tuxedo dog sweater, knitted bone, various knitted toys .... there is even some knitted dog poo (hmmm)

You do need to register to use the site, but membership is free. There are also a lot of people in the forums to help with any knitting/crochet questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to share.

I just got a new sewing machine YAY, Whippets are very excited, I've been sorting through material, planning my first project, and they've been wrtapping themselves in it. I think they want new coats for winter..

Great thread!!! I am excited to sift through all of the patterns and ideas!

Here are some crafty sites I have been told about with lots of patterns/ideas...

http://tipnut.com/projects-pets/

http://www.favecrafts.com/Pet-Crafts/31-Patterns-for-Pet-Clothing-and-More-Pet-Crafts

Greyhound Snood pattern: http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/blog/2012/02/daily-diy-pet-pattern-knit-a-greyhound-snood/

Here's a homemade biscuit recipe that our dogs always enjoy. You can use them as a training treat, or give them to your dog with a little yogurt for something different

1 cup of rolled oats

1 cup wholemeal flour

1-2 whole eggs

Enough water to make it stick

Optional - fresh garlic chives snipped through, a little gravy, ect. (Note: mixture will not keep as long with gravy)

If using gravy, lower the egg content

Mix flours with eggs and enough water to make it all come together. Press mixture onto baking tray and bake in moderate oven for 20 -30 minutes, or until quite hard and dry.Turn onto rack to cool and cut into squares. Store in the fridge.

I like to roll the mixture into bite sized balls, but this can take a little extra time. I find the biscuits dry out better this way and keep for longer. If you add too many eggs, the mixture does not dry as well and doesn't keep as long. Make sure biscuits are completely cool before storing, otherwise they will sweat and go moldy.

S. :)

Edited by sjp118

• 1 month later...

Can anyone send/share a good pattern for greyhound coats? I can't seem to get onto the links previously provided.

My current pattern has been copied and copied and copied and is now a bit wonky.

With thanks

PS - doesn't matter if it is knitted or sewn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again

Has anyone got basic dog coat patterns (sewn) with measurements? I have some spare fleece and thought of sewing resuce coats for small and medium dogs. My Whippet measurements would be wrong for most breeds, and the coats patterns I found online tell you to measure your dog....bit hard when they are going to unknown dogs.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Someone has given me Kwik Sew Pattern 3357 which includes 2 styles of no sew fleece dog coats in sizes XS, S, M, L and XL. Basically it looks like a massive babies bib with long ties - you end up with a coat shape that covers the back that has two long straps which go round the neck and cross over the front chest, loop back around the armpits and tie on the back.

It's a great idea for people who can't sew and you would get 2 coats out of the length of fabric you required so also fairly cheap.

I did a google and it looks like the pattern is still current/available to buy.

Whippetsmum I do have a few dog coat patterns now in different styles and sizes but I am actually making oodles of coats for rescue right now so can't loan them. I had the same problem working out sizes, particularly with the coats that have the stupid tab fronts - I want actual neck sizes! I ended up measuring a few dogs and going from there as I was told it wouldn't matter - rescue would find a dog to fit the coat! I've mainly knitted smalls and mediums and sewn everything from large to giant. With the spare bits of fleece I also made some pom poms and stuffed dog bone toys. And I always trawl my local op shops for any rib fabric pieces so I different colour options as the coat style ones don't require much.

• 1 month later...

So this website has a lot of cute DIY craft and cooking items.

Haven't tired this one but I know both my dogs love cookies (or any food really but cookies are fun!) http://prettyfluffy.com/2012/07/diy-the-best-gingerbread-dog-treat-recipe.

Love this thread by the way - I am going to start making some agility equipment. A lot of the stuff I got on ebay has been good but is falling apart.

• 2 months later...