Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Broken Ear Cartilage? - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Broken Ear Cartilage? never would have thought..

#1 User is offline   bluecollie 

• Rescuer & Mum

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

I just got an email from a friend of mine -

Apparently dogs can by flapping their ear too hard, brake the cartilage within the ear and subsequently blood will pool within the ear. This problem occurs in dogs with floppy ears.

Who would have thought in an old Lab X? Not really floppy eared like a Spaniel or something.
I don't know whether he had something internally bugging him to be shaking that hard- have asked but no reply as yet..

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Vehs 

• owner of the brat prince

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:15 PM

You can break the ear cartilage in dogs with pricked ears, like Shepherds and then they will have floppy ears - not ideal.

By damaging the blood vessels in the ear through excessing head shaking or restricted circulation (like matted ears) that is then released (clipping the hair) the blood can pool in the ear causing a hemotoma (sp) the blood can actually seep out through the ear :laugh:
I have seen this happen with a Lagotto (matted ears) and a Shepherd after a dog fight.

Not a pretty procedure or healing period once they've gone to the vets :p

#3 User is offline   Kavik 

• Team Kelpie
  • State:NSW

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

I must have been lucky then! When I was overseas and Diesel and Zoe were staying with Diesel's breeder, Diesel got attacked by one of the breeders dogs and it sliced his ear almost in half! (made for a very stressful overseas trip that's for sure! Having to talk to the breeder and the vet about what happened and what to do.) The vet sutured it together and while there is a scar there now, it stands up fine and you can't really tell unless you feel for the scar.

#4 User is offline   bulldogz4eva 

• Forum Regular

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Apparently dogs can by flapping their ear too hard, brake the cartilage within the ear and subsequently blood will pool within the ear. This problem occurs in dogs with floppy ears.

Its called an Aural Haematoma and its from burst blood vessels in the ear.Sometimes they can heal without surgery but sometimes they will cause a cauliflower ear if untreated.It really depends how big.I had my dog operated on a couple of months back and it is fine now.I decided to have it operated on rather than leave it as it was quite large.It is quite common in labradors so I am told.

#5 User is offline   bluecollie 

• Rescuer & Mum

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

I never knew... But I guess its one of those things that unless you're unfortunate enough to have it happen with your dog (or you're a vet)

#6 User is offline   ~Anne~ 

• Meh
  • State:Overseas

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

Aural haematomas are actually very common, particularly in long eared dogs. Usually they need vet treatement.

The Vet will make several small slice incisions all over the ear to clear out blood and to help drainage of vessels that may still spot bleed. The incisions usually only require a stitch each.

#7 User is offline   WreckitWhippet 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

It's not just long eared dogs, my first pet Frenchie had the same thing, his didn't look as nasty but he did require an operation to fix it. He spent a few weeks with a clear and hard plastic stitched to his ear ( after the fluid was drained ).

He didn't appear to have any excessive head shaking or scratching prior to this happening, the first I noticed it was when he began to shake his head and attempt to scratch his ear. I know of another DOLer who had similar problems with a Terrier

#8 User is offline   ish 

• Mad about GSDs
  • State:VIC

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

One of mine got one after flapping her head around with an ear infection - only took a day or 2 to happen, she was booked into the vets the next day so I had to change the appointment from a consult to surgery!

Posted Image

Her ear still stands mostly upright, but on a bit of a lean now - the scarring feels very thick

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions