Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Kinked Tail - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Kinked Tail

#1 Guest_Tiggy_*

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

I didn't notice my Stafford puppy had a kinked tail until I brought him home last Saturday. I don't think it's fair the breeder didn't tell me. She sold him on the main register and said he's a show quality pup. I'm not going to show him anyway but she shouldn't have said I could show him when I can't as his tail will spoil his outline. If she'd pointed out his tail I still would have bought him as I love him to bits. I'm annoyed that she didn't tell me. I don't think I should have been charged as much as the other pups either. I sent her a friendly email just saying he has a kinked tail and do you know what happened to it but she hasn't replied. Do you think he was born with it or has it been broken?

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Cala 

• Breeder, Trialler, Border Collies

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hi,

Some breeds carry the 'kinked tail' problem in their genetic make up, there was an Australian Cattle Dog years back that was renowned for throwing the problem in the odd pup.

Sue

#3 User is offline   laneka 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:51 PM

An occassional kinked tail crops up in the Rottweiler. You are lucky, for us it is a disqualifying breed fault.

#4 User is offline   benshiva 

• ANKC Border Collies ARE Border Collies
  • State:NSW

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:55 PM

I produced a kinked tail in a litter that I had quite a few years ago. I doubt it was broken, I'd say baby was born with it. Its sure is a beautiful baby though :)

#5 User is offline   curlyking 

• Breeder since 1975

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

[quote name='Tiggy' date='29th Jun 2007 - 11:55 AM' post='1850415']
I didn't notice my Stafford puppy had a kinked tail until I brought him home last Saturday. I don't think it's fair the breeder didn't tell me. She sold him on the main register and said he's a show quality pup. I'm not going to show him anyway but she shouldn't have said I could show him when I can't as his tail will spoil his outline. If she'd pointed out his tail I still would have bought him as I love him to bits. I'm annoyed that she didn't tell me. I don't think I should have been charged as much as the other pups either. I sent her a friendly email just saying he has a kinked tail and do you know what happened to it but she hasn't replied. Do you think he was born with it or has it been broken?

Did you collect the pup from the breeder? Did you not nitice the tail kink? There is a fair chance the breeder did not say anything as they thought it so obvious that anyone could see it. Why should it be cheaper than a pup without a kinked tail? Costs the same to raise a pup on the limited and the main register and also the same to raise the pup whether or not it has a kinked tail or a wonky ear or anything else. At the end of the day if you have a happy healthy pup consider yourself well served.

#6 Guest_Tiggy_*

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

Point taken!

#7 User is offline   badboyz 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Well I don't 100% agree with that Curlyking. Any honest breeder would be foolish not to point out any known fault a pup has, if only to protect themselves. Up to the breeder whether the pup is discounted or not.
I had a beagle pup once with a kink on the tip that my vet snipped off. I did not reduce the price as is was not noticeable and sold as a pet, but I certainly pointed it out to the owners before purchase. I once had an overshot jaw (beagle again) which I did reduce the price on and told the new owners before they took the dog, as it may or may not have affected the dog in future.
He most certainly should not have been sold as show quality or on main register.

This post has been edited by badboyz: 29 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

#8 User is offline   Ittybitty_ 

• Perfect Pomeranians

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

I have a shepherd with a kinked tail. She had it broken at about 8 wks old. I knew it was broken, and her breeders were completely honest, they even tried to have it reset for me. Never worked.

She has been shown her whole life with a kinked tail, never stopped her winning multi Best in Groups, Classes in show both Specialty and all breeds. And its not like you cant notice it..

#9 User is offline   ellz 

• Forum Regular
  • State:TAS

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'd have to feel the kink before I'd really comment on whether there is a "right or wrong" in this situation.

Personally, I feel that a small kink in a tail is the LEAST of a Stafford's problems. If it doesn't affect quality of life, then what is the problem?

#10 User is offline   badboyz 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:32 PM

But it is different showing/breeding a dog who's tail was broken than one born with a kink. Not something you want to pass on to future generations

#11 User is offline   Ittybitty_ 

• Perfect Pomeranians

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

ellz, on 29th Jun 2007 - 04:31 PM, said:

I'd have to feel the kink before I'd really comment on whether there is a "right or wrong" in this situation.

Personally, I feel that a small kink in a tail is the LEAST of a Stafford's problems. If it doesn't affect quality of life, then what is the problem?

Agree, especially if the pup was only purchased as a pet..

One of the pups in our last litter, was born with a kinked tail. He was such a gorgeous pup. We told his new owners who were only after a pet, that he has a kink in his tail, we told them when they rang us, that if it really concerned them, we would pay to have it re-set. But they said as pet buyers they would love him if he had 2 heads :cry: lol.. Needless to say he is in the best home possible..

Here he is.. Eucha

Attached File  Euka2.jpg (89K)
Number of downloads: 10

This post has been edited by Roxiekda: 29 June 2007 - 04:37 PM

#12 User is offline   ellz 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

Depends what caused the kink. If it was a large litter the tail could have been malformed in utero.

Just because a tail is kinked doesn't mean it is a genetic defect. It largely depends upon the breed. In Staffords, it is nothing.

#13 User is offline   curlyking 

• Breeder since 1975

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

badboyz, on 29th Jun 2007 - 04:24 PM, said:

Well I don't 100% agree with that Curlyking.
Any honest breeder would be foolish not to point out any known fault a pup has, if only to protect themselves. He most certainly should not have been sold as show quality or on main register.

I don't have a problem with the dog being registered on main register but I agree with you that he probably should not have been sold as show quality. However unless the standard makes it a disqualifying fault there is probably nothing to stop the pup being shown. Standards often indicate that scarring or other result of injury should not be penalized and most standards mention that any fault should only be penalized in accordance with the seriousness of the fault. Let's face it anyone can show any dog that is regostered on main register but it does not necessarily mean it will win! And therein lies a fundamental problem with people buying a show quality dog. Most then assume it will win but forget about the input and time etc. they need to make to ensure it does win.

I think you are being a tad harsh in suggesting the breeder may not be honest. I do agree common sense says the problem should have been pointed out . Not only would I have pointed it out but I would not have sold the pup as a show prospect IF it was my breed. it may not be an issue as Ellz suggests with the Staffy. Without knowing the full circumstances though I would not comment on the honesty of the breeder. It could be simply inexperience. I don't know and I'm not prepared to judge but there are two parties here and I assume both capable of spotting the fault.

This post has been edited by curlyking: 29 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

#14 Guest_Tiggy_*

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

I'm terrible when I buy new animals. I once bought a horse with a bowed tendon, parrot mouth and goose rump but never noticed when buying him :o . I think the breeder should have mentioned it whether she thought it was obvious or not. I obviously hadn't noticed it or I would have asked her about it. It wouldn't have put me off buying him. The most important thing is I have a happy healthy puppy who I love to bits :cry: .

#15 User is offline   ellz 

• Forum Regular

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

As I also said, I'd want to see it before I could really pass judgement. It may not be something that the breeder has noticed. Not everybody goes over their puppies from head to tail, especially if tail kinks aren't a disqualifying fault in the breed or the pre-cursor to a possible genetic problem as in some other breeds. From the photo posted, I'd be inclined to think it has gone un-noticed and the first that the breeder knew about it was when the OP rang them to tell them.

As a breeder (of Staffords and American Cockers), personally, I feel that I WOULD notice, but again, it would possibly depend upon the severity. I also tend to downplay my puppies and mention every fault so it may have been one of the first things I would mention, but that's just me. Not everybody else is like that, and chances are if the OP has told the breeder that they don't wish to show or breed from the puppy, they may have thought it not worth mentioning.

But I should also add here that that is where the breeder of the OP's puppy and I have major differences anyway. I only register what I'm keeping for myself, or what is going to guaranteed, bona-fide, vouched for show homes on Main Register, the rest goes on Limited Register so the OP wouldn't have even got a MR puppy from me in the first place, so the issue probably wouldn't have arisen.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions