Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roux

Italian Greyhounds

5,253 posts in this topic

Right now, another shot at starting a thread for the beautiful and amazing little Italian Greyhounds.

I am owned by only one and she definitely does not want any permanent 'siblings'. She has made this very clear.

Almost two years ago I saw a piccy of Roux on a horse forum and it all began from there. A few emails back and forth and she was eventually 'posted' to me from SA to Victoria. Life has not been the same since.

I am grateful every day that I have this strange little dog to live with me. The leather working tools from my teenage years have been resurrected - well a little dog needs stuff - and I have even begun knitting again, for her of course.

Some baby photos and then some more recent ones.

.post-18606-1183514568_thumb.jpg

.post-18606-1183514622_thumb.jpg

.post-18606-1183514492_thumb.jpg

..post-18606-1183514657_thumb.jpg

.post-18606-1183514815_thumb.jpg

Please add to this.

I don't have an italian greyhound, but I think they are great dogs. I was considering getting one for a while but my byofriend refused because he was scared he'd break it :D

I've never seen a photo of one as puppy until i saw your photos... OMG they make adorable puppies! I love greyhounds, italian greayhounds and whippets.

Oooh, I am very happy to keep supplying you with photos.

Roux is a surprisingly physically tough/strong dog. I live on acreage with horses and cow and calf. When the Italian Princess first came, she was a weird looking puppy, I used to look at her running about and wondered what on earth possessed me to get such a dog!

She is an excellent farm dog - chases kangaroos, wombats and foxes. Loves to scream at the tractor when it is going and is great to take riding (horses).

I think if Iggies get enough (plenty) of running, their bones strengthen and it would greatly reduce the chance of fractures.

She jumps and leaps and bounds all over the place.

I have 3 beautiful Iggies :) I agree they are an amazing but strange breed.

Zipper

post-2093-1183518066_thumb.jpg

Gigolo

post-2093-1183518145_thumb.jpg

Khandi

post-2093-1183518190_thumb.jpg

eta: Forgot to add pics :D

Will post some more soon :worship:

Edited by Roxiekda

I would love to know more about the breed. I want to add a toy breed to my family and for showing in the future. I really like alot of the little breeds but after much debate decided i didnt want to deal with long hair of many of them which is unfortunate cos i love the hairies. Anyway i have narrowed it down to the iggy and min pin.

Id love to learn alot more about this gorgeous little breed and more photos are a must.

We will be hopefully getting an ig within the next 6 months :laugh: I can't wait - I am totally besotted with them, even if Rox's Gigilo prefers to bark at me :o

I was never a small dog person but they are just gorgeous - and so so tiny as a pup, couldnt get over the size of Khandi

I reckon Iggies are big dogs in small bodies, well the Italian Princess is at least.

She is happy to play with big dogs - Labs and BC - but equally she is aware of her limitations due to size. She can be quite tough without ever being accused of suffering 'small dog syndrome'.

She takes each dog at face value (pity more people are not the same, eh?)

As I have said, Roux came from South Australia from a new breeder and is just bluddy brilliant.

She does all the correct doggy things, except for rolling in hideous smelly stuff, but is almost cat like. She weighs about 7kg. As handy as a cat but as good as any big dog outside.

Perfect arrangement in my opinion. But I am not in any way biased!

If you want contact with her breeder, just email or PM me.

I loooooove my little boy. He is just perfect and I can't wait to step foot in the ring with him. I just love some of their expressions. They are energetic but easy to cope with.

I plan to hopefully have him titled by the time he is 2.

ETA: He loves my Belgian and my god is he a randy boy LOL

Edited by Okeekarma

Okeekarma - whereabouts in Melbourne are you? would you like to go to the Whippet races in Healesville tomorrow? Action starts at 11am.

My tiny Princess would love to meet some of her cousins.

Roux I am on the Mornington Peninsula.

Unformtunately I wouldnt be able to cause my husband has his first job under his own mobile dj company tonight.

I really do hope that IG become a bit more popular down here in VIC over the comming years. I think that might just happen since I have had 2 enquiries about pups in about a week. Of course I have no plans of pups for atleast another 2-5 years.

m_harry6weeks.jpg

This is my baby at 6 weeks of age

Edited by Okeekarma

What a beautiful baby. Methinks Roux and I may have to take a drive down towards Mornington eventually.

This is Carlo...I found him for a friend of mine...with help from Roxiekda. :laugh: He's about 6mths old now.

carlo10.jpg

carlo17.jpg

oh what a gorgeous Iggy. I just cant get enough of looking at them.

Must say there are some absolute classic videos of IG on YouTube.

i am in loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee , iggys and whippets just love them..

ill have an iggy one dayyyy

Iggies can make good terriers as well. What do you think these two are hunting?

.post-18606-1183852013_thumb.jpg

Ok all you IG owners, I have decided to get some expressions of interest in forming an IG club of VIC.

I have emailed the 3 other breeders in VIC from the breed pages here but if anyone knows of any others in this state please pm me or send them an email.

I don't know if this has been attempted before but I have had comments about how the IG are making a comeback to VIC so I think it's about time a club was started.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Feel free to pm me. :rofl:

Sounds good. My tiny delight would love to meet more similarly elegant and wonderful canines. What is involved?

Ok all you IG owners, I have decided to get some expressions of interest in forming an IG club of VIC.

I have emailed the 3 other breeders in VIC from the breed pages here but if anyone knows of any others in this state please pm me or send them an email.

I don't know if this has been attempted before but I have had comments about how the IG are making a comeback to VIC so I think it's about time a club was started.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Feel free to pm me. :laugh:

You should probably contact the VCA, they might be able to help with advice & hopefully to give you a list of all pedigree IG breeders, at least in Victoria. Good luck, I think it's a great idea.

Linda

What are peoples thoughts on this? Feel free to pm me. ;)

Would the club be only for breeders or for owners as well?

I would love the club to be open to anyone with an IG if I could purely to increase the awareness of this gorgeous breed and to increase its popularity.

I will get in touch with the VCA to see what would be needed, if anything and go from there.

As of yet I havent had any response from the 3 breeders that I emailed but I am going to my first show with Harry on the 18th Aug so hopefully will meet up with some then.

I will keep you all updated and let you know how I go.