Quarantine Area

Nothing else would be regarded as quarantine, but there are other precautions that could be taken to minimise risks for the home foster carer without kennels.

Having dogs vaccinated and treated for parasites at least two weeks before bringing them home.

Fostering healthy adult dogs instead of puppies or dogs with health problems.

Fostering surrenders instead of pound dogs, especially surrenders with known histories.

Taking these precautions mean that a person may not be able to save every dog that they want to save, but there will still be some dogs that need rescuing that are much lower risk than others.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing else would be regarded as quarantine, but there are other precautions that could be taken to minimise risks for the home foster carer without kennels.

Having dogs vaccinated and treated for parasites at least two weeks before bringing them home.

Fostering healthy adult dogs instead of puppies or dogs with health problems.

Fostering surrenders instead of pound dogs, especially surrenders with known histories.

Taking these precautions mean that a person may not be able to save every dog that they want to save, but there will still be some dogs that need rescuing that are much lower risk than others.

i understand what you are saying, how would you suggest they go about it?

1. where will the dog stay for the 2 weeks before bringing it home? Staying at the pound is not an option, do you suggest boarding in privately owned kennels?

2. not many carers can spot a dog in a pound or a picture from a website that the dog has health problems. and some lay dormant for many days.

3. not many rescue groups take on surrenders. most focus on saving dogs on "death row"

im not meaning to sound rude. just asking questions that i would need answered before i wrote it in the book. :laugh:

Schmoo, I think if people are taking dogs of unknown history directly from a pound then they do need to have access to quarantine kennels.

If a rescuer has no way of quarantining dogs then they could get dogs from other places, like FTGH ads in the paper, taking dogs being surrendered by their previous owner or by taking a dog from another carer where the dog has already been quarantined. If a rescue group has any carers that have quarantine kennels, they could move the dogs around so that all dogs spend 2 weeks in those kennels before going to a carer without quarantine kennels.

Edited by Greytmate

ok have written this:

When fostering dogs directly from a pound it is strongly recommended that a purpose built quarantine area such as that described above be used. In the case of foster carers being unable to build or access such a facility, precautions should still be taken to illiminate disease and lower the risk of infection for other dogs. For example:

• Link yourself with a rescue group that has consistent and continual access to such kennels.

• Have dogs bathed, vaccinated and treated for parasites before bringing them into the house environment ie at a vet clinic.

• Foster privately surrendered dogs, especially surrenders with known histories.

• Foster dogs no younger than 6 months of age.

does anyone have the name of a specific bleach to clean eg crates? is normal household bleach ok?

i will transporting a suspect dog (not sick but has been living near a dog recently diagnosed) tomorrow in a crate in my ute tray and want to be able to clean the tray (which has a liner).

Thx

normal Bleach is fine to use. If you can get some F10 that is the best:

f10 Disenfectant F10SC is a total spectrum disinfectant that, unlike other strong disinfectants on the market, has no adverse side effects on people, animals, or on equipment and surfaces. It is ecologically friendly and biodegradable, and carries a wide range of registrations and approvals from around the world. In Australia , F10SC is registered by the APVMA for use in animal production and housing facilities, approved by AQIS for use in food export processing as a non-rinse disinfectant, and is also listed by the TGA as a Hospital Grade Disinfectant. The benefits of using F10SC include:

• Kills all types of pathogen – F10SC is bactericidal, virucidal, fungicidal, sporicidal

• Minimal chance of microbial resistance due to F10SC’s unique benzalkonium chloride and polyhexamethylene biguanide combination of actives and mode of action

• *Rapid kill times – less than 30 secs for gram positive bacteria, 60 secs for gram negative bacteria, Canine Parvovirus 30 mins

• Non-corrosive, non-toxic, non-tainting, non-irritating, aldehyde-free

• Highly cost effective

• Biodegradable & ecologically friendly

• *Tried, tested, independently verified and documented, and approved around the world

What it’s used for:

F10SC, as a general disinfection of animal house keeping procedures e.g. Food & water Bowls cages pens, transport boxes.

Also used for the Special situation, disinfection e.g. parvovirus, “Cat Flu”, ringworm, distemper, sniffles.

• 10 months later...

Just an idea - Does anyone know if local vets would board small dogs during this period? Only thought of it cause i know some board cats...I know its kinda different...but as a person looking to start a rescue up...I know I dont have the facilities for a quarantine area. Not until I get into our place!

• 1 month later...
Just an idea - Does anyone know if local vets would board small dogs during this period? Only thought of it cause i know some board cats...I know its kinda different...but as a person looking to start a rescue up...I know I dont have the facilities for a quarantine area. Not until I get into our place!

That would depend on your relationship with the vet. I am pretty sure standard vet boarding price is about $40 per day, so it would be up to you to negotiate a discount. One problem a vet may have is that if your dog is taking up a kennel, it might prevent the vet taking in an extra patient.

It is a good idea though, and there are some vets that are highly supportive of rescue that might be happy to help.

• Troy unpinned this topic