Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Attention All People In Rescue - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Attention All People In Rescue

#31 User is offline   jacks4life 

• NDTF Trainer, MDBA Member, Rescue, local govt
  • State:VIC

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hi there,

I just came across your post, and was very interested.

I am looking at starting a jack russell rescue group in victoria! And would love all the advise I can get.

I was wondering if you could please send me some of your book on foster caring?

That would be fantastic.

My email address is [email protected]

thanks for your help

steve

View Postshmoo, on 19th Aug 2007 - 12:14 AM, said:

There have been some incidents recently that have really highlighted to me just how disordered and muddled rescue can be. The bombardment of appeals never lets up and keeps many rescuers in a constant state of emergency, rushing to retrieve dogs and rushing to place them, in a frantic effort to keep pace.

Here a some important points to remember:

1. DOL rescue is not the be all and end all of rescue. A hell of alot goes on behind the scenes and not every pound is listed on DOL. There are many other dogs on death row in other shelters that need just as much help. There are also MANY rescuers who are not on DOL, and have not even heard of DOL.

2. Not everybody on DOL rescue is an educated, experienced rescuer or foster carer. If ANY group wishes to pursue a member on the forum offering foster care for a dog it is the RESCUE GROUPS responsibility to check out the foster carer, regardless of how well they paint themselves. This includes a house and yard check, background check with other groups (if possible) and for a member of the group, preferably from the committee, to meet the potential foster carer and mark them as sound to foster.

3. If you see a dog on DOL rescue and want to help, do the right thing. Research which group you want to join with, take the necessary steps to becoming a fully fledged carer. Being a foster care provider takes time, dedication, and genuine caring. Fostering a shelter pet is a full time job. Temperament assessments are always advised before taking on a rescue dog and it is strongly advised you do this YOURSELF to make sure YOU are satisfied with the dog and are 100% positive you can provide care for the term of fostering.

4. If you are unsure on the status on a dog you have seen on DOL. Call the pound directly. www.operationtoby.com is a good place to start looking if you need to view a pound webpage for details. Be patient, be courteous, be clear and be specific. The pound staff do not enjoy the worst part of their job and it is not their fault that not every animal can be saved. If you wish to comment on the procedures of a pound, its conditions or operations, take the appropriate action ie: contact the supervisior, manager or council via email, mail or phone. Unless you are speaking on behalf of a rescue group, do not say you are.

5. When offering or asking for transport, be clear about what is needed. Give as much information as possible. Dates, times, locations, phone numbers.... Everything that might be needed, just might be needed. For rescuers asking others on DOL to pick up and drop off, make sure that all paperwork is completed at each end to save time, confusion and dogs being incorrectly chipped.

6. If you are going to say yes you can take a dog, be sure that all communication between you, the rescue group and the pound is clear. If you are unsure of anything, do not hesitate to ask. This may end in the dog being PTS even if it had a place to go, simply because communication was puzzled.

7. Try to avoid asking others to post on your behalf. This only leads to confusion and inevitably dogs may suffer. While many of us know each other in real life, many don't. One person may not realise which people belong to same groups, or how close rescuers may live to each other etc.

Key points for preventing burn out.

- Recognise and accept that you cannot save every animal.
- Use common sense.
- Learn to say no.
- Ask for help.
- Be patient.
- Know your limits.
- Know when to quit.

For anybody interested in becoming a foster carer, please PM me and I will forward you the first part of my book - A Guide To Foster Caring.

Emotion plays a large part in rescue, but emotion as the driving force can have significant drawbacks. We all have to respect our own and each others abilities and limitations.

And remember: if you have no room for just one more dog, donít take just one more dog.

#32 User is offline   so over it 

• Forum Regular

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

i totally agree with this post,ive not been fostering for very long at all,since friends of mine have asked to do the same because they like my foster pups but they dont have the room time or money for them,but want to do it for the reason that pups are cute.that said pups may be cute,but there is more to fostering then the cuteness of the pups/dogs including the impact it has on your existing animals family life not to mention money.i would do anything for a dog in need but there is only so much you can do,if you run yourself into the ground with more then you can handle then how are you to help these poor dogs,and remember that just cos they seem sweet and cute does not mean that they a perfect dog some will need special attention for what ever reason they dont all come to be at the pounds thru the best circumstances and it may take a while to get them rready for re-homing.

#33 User is offline   Troy 

• Forum Administrator
  • State:QLD

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

#34 User is offline   shmoo 

• fostermanual.com
  • State:NSW

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

I can't believe it was almost 2 years ago that I started this thread :(

I have had many inquires for the drafts of the book, and a few pages have been released. Please be aware and respect that these are only a draft and are not to be published.
Not a day goes by that I don't think about the foster carer book, and I have been working on it in small pieces, but I have had such a crazy past 1.5 years with Cordy's Rescue closing, my health taking a major dive and now my relationship is on the rocks.

I do have every intention of completing the book and when it is finished and ready for publication rest assured DOL will be the first place to hear about it!!

#35 User is offline   shmoo 

• fostermanual.com

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Thanks everybody for your kind words and support. Copies of the manual can be purchased here: http://www.fostermanual.com/

:)

#36 User is offline   ~Anne~ 

• Meh
  • State:Overseas

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

Way to go Shmoo!!!

To those who may not have purchased their copy of the book, I can only say - do it now!

#37 User is offline   simone07 

• Forum Regular

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

great post! In regards to some rescues/people, they have too much emotion and it destroys their judgement and ultimately leads to them burning out. The key to longevity is to pace yourself and don't take on too much - we would all love to take home the 10 dogs due to be pts at the pound, but we need to stay practical and professional if we are going to help any animals. Emotions don't help animals.

#38 User is offline   Napoleon 

• Forum Member
  • State:QLD

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hi this is my first time posting here so not sure if this is the right place however i do have a qst regarding the logan pound near brisbane, qld. Is there anybody who saves these dogs there or most of them? How can i find that out? I have been following dogs on their website since recently and once they were gone from the website i would check rescuepets website to find them in hope a rescue group would advertise them there but i never could.. Does that mean all those dogs have been killed? Because in the sale program thers hardly ever any dogs safe compared to the numbers that come in. I honestly feel people are not educated enough about the existence of the animal pound!!! The media should talk about it more because most people i know are not even aware of animal pounds with a kill policy existing in their neighbourhood. I am unable to foster care at the moment but how else could i possibly help the logan pound??

#39 User is offline   shmoo 

• fostermanual.com

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Napoleon, I would post your question as a new topic in the rescue section. :)

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions