Ears Won't Stand Up

ShellyBeggs

My kelpie Anzac is 8mo.

His ears still do not stand up.....he will hold one up if something interests him (rabbit in the distance) but it either flops back down or flops over the top of his head.......as soon as he looses interest.

I think he is a lazy sod who won't hold them up......

Any ideas how I can help them stand up??? or will they ever stand up?

Here they is.......

smaller1Anzac28-8-07.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

P.S sorry about the demon eyes......but they suit his nature!

You could try taping them. I did that with my dog for a while.

http://www.leerburg.com/tapingears.htm

I just used making tape and that's it. If you force the ear into position and tape around where it folds, the ear will stand up. Well, at least it does on my tiny dog - i'm not sure about big dogs.

Also giving the dog stuff to chew, apparently that helps thier muscles develop which in turn holds the ears up

Edited by deltron

Is that how he normally holds them in that pic? They look like they want to sit down and not up! Do you have any pics with them standing as up as they get?

For comparison, this is Kaos as a pup, at 5 months, and at 12 months. You can see that even as an 8 wk pup his ears were partly up.

post-489-1188975598_thumb.jpg

post-489-1188975642_thumb.jpg

post-489-1188975698_thumb.jpg

They do look like down ears in that photo.

My Kelpie has very large ears but they were up at your dog's age, although it took them a long time to come up - some do it faster, some slower. You could tell they were on their way up.

Do you have any photos of his ears looking different to that?

It's perfectly acceptable for working Kelpies to have ears that don't stand up. How important is it to you?

Edit: Here is Xia's ear progress for you to look at.

3 months:

Xia_20Dec.jpg

5 months - you can see the left ear is quite folded over:

XiaSheep12Febcropped.jpg

6 months - that left ear is still a bit soft, but has come up:

Xia30Mar05front.jpg

It was definitely up (although wobbled at times) at about seven months.

Edited by sidoney

It's perfectly acceptable for working Kelpies to have ears that don't stand up. How important is it to you?

Edit: Here is Xia's ear progress for you to look at.

3 months:

Xia_20Dec.jpg

5 months - you can see the left ear is quite folded over:

XiaSheep12Febcropped.jpg

6 months - that left ear is still a bit soft, but has come up:

Xia30Mar05front.jpg

It was definitely up (although wobbled at times) at about seven months.

Wow your dog is really pretty :) What breed is she?

disorder, she's a working Kelpie, and registered with the Working Kelpie Council. Her colour is called "cream".

Audrey, good luck. I had moments when I thought that ear would stay down, so you never know. If Guinness is the same as Xia's, it may well come up. What are the ears like of Guinness's family? I had hopes of Xia' ending up erect as I knew that her family has erect ears, although her grandmother does have VERY huge ears. Check out these spinnakers - Avenpart Georgena.

gena2.jpg

Edited by sidoney

My kelpie Anzac is 8mo.

His ears still do not stand up.....he will hold one up if something interests him (rabbit in the distance) but it either flops back down or flops over the top of his head.......as soon as he looses interest.

I think he is a lazy sod who won't hold them up......

Any ideas how I can help them stand up??? or will they ever stand up?

Here they is.......

smaller1Anzac28-8-07.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

P.S sorry about the demon eyes......but they suit his nature!

Oh he is cute reminds me of Santas little helper on the simpsons :)

he looks like he is going to be so norty :hug:

He is always very naughty........and nearly got called Santa's little helper but since we got him Anzac day he got his name that way......now I wish I had of called him demon or devil....he is sooooo naughty!

He holds his ears like this a lot

smaller3Anzac28-8-07.jpg

Sorry I have none of him holding them briefly up, I will try on the weekend......I only just got my camera.

His mum has nice dish ears but I can't remember about his dad.

Apparantly all his litter mates have their ears up already.......hence my lazy sod comment!

Hmmmmm he may just keep his down ears......it doesn't bother me, I just love big dish ears of a kelpie...very expressive

If he holds his right one up any longer than a few seconds it tends to flop sideways over his head in a comical lopsided look.......but to feel his ears they dont have any firmness about them....they are like nice soft velvet labrador ears!

Poooh.....I knew he was broken when I got him, but not this busted!

Hmm, if you really really want them to stand up, you *could* try taping them. They don't seem committed to staying down ATM. Part of ears standing up is having a partial cone shape that's firm enough to keep them up, and without creases that fold them down.

I don't have any experience of taping though.

Edited by sidoney

Hmm, if you really really want them to stand up, you *could* try taping them.

At the age of 8 months, I honestly wouldn't bother .. You need to get them earlier. Taping them will just annoy the shite out of him. IMO. :rolleyes: