Ears Won't Stand Up

ShellyBeggs

I have a 20 wk old red and tan kelpie Carlos, and I've just started taping his ears - they've gone up a few times but they flop down after a few days. My 4 and a half yr old black n tan Ella was practically born with pricked ears - and she's the rescue puppy - Carlos is meant to be of good breeding! He gets a little annoyed with the tape but I just distract him with cuddles and play until he forgets it's there. I think the younger you did it the less this would be a problem, but they recommend waiting til 20 weeks. Watch this space I guess.

My 6 month old Frenchie has the same problem with one of her ears... it went up, now its coming down again... First it flopped when she was tired... but now it flops all the time. Although its only half flopped. But I put it towards her currently teething and going through a growth spurt. But if it doesnt, i dont mind too much, its pretty cute..

e2626254b6e511e3869f0eac24f9eb78_6.jpg

Gosh this is an old thread!

My first samoyed needed his ears taped for weeks before they would stand up on their own. Plenty of prick eared dogs ear do weird things when they teeth. Doesn't mean the breeding is bad ;)

Hmm, if you really really want them to stand up, you *could* try taping them.

At the age of 8 months, I honestly wouldn't bother .. You need to get them earlier. Taping them will just annoy the shite out of him. IMO.

Yep to this although looking at the ears i would say they would never stand up up

8 months is pretty late to tape them but it may be worth a try as the ears do keep lifting at least till 12 months and even later. I have had a BC with perfect half up and over ears, suddenly develop pricked ears at 12 months. If the ears feel really soft though, nothing will ever make them stand right up. Encourage him to hold his ears to the side like in the second photo by pushing them back into that position. You could try taping the fold into them so they sit like that even if they don't stand all the way up. They look much better that way than flopped down his face. To tape the fold in follow these directions. Place a piece of tape along the outside of the ear then fold the ear back where you want the fold and put another tape at right angles to the first, wrapped around the ear. In the photos below the red edges of the second tape meets with the red edge of the first tape with the ear folded back. Then flip the ear forward and the fold will stay put. This helps strengthen the ear and still allows it move and strengthen.

post-14901-0-68986300-1396230509_thumb.jpg

post-14901-0-05509400-1396230538_thumb.jpg

post-14901-0-69665700-1396230566_thumb.jpg

I was hoping my cattle dog x something would get pointy ears but they've stayed steadfastly rose eared or half pricked.

I thought given it's way too late to tape them now (If I'd known in the first three to four months, I'd have had a go but I probably would have had to stop her playing bitey face with other puppies too), I keep wondering if botox injections would do it for long enough for the cartilage to toughen up. She has lovely pointy ears facing into the breeze.

I read an article by a vet that said it's not uncommon for the ears to go down again a couple of times - especially whilst teething and after desexing, but they'll usually go up again by 20 weeks. Another article said they should go up between 26 and 30 weeks. At the end of the day if taping doesn't work I'll still love Carlos asuch ad I love Ella, but taping is not frightening or distressing him so Ill give it a go for a week or two. I found it's less annoying for him to tape the hairy side only and I've put a cotton tip under a wide strip of fabric tape about 2cm in from the outer edge of the ear - like a splint. It has to be redone every day but the ears are staying up better already. I'd add a photo but I dont know how????

Gosh this is an old thread!

My first samoyed needed his ears taped for weeks before they would stand up on their own. Plenty of prick eared dogs ear do weird things when they teeth. Doesn't mean the breeding is bad ;)

I'm surprised it's not a closed thread as most that are this old are.

I tried taping one of Tilba's ears over to match the other one from about 4.5 months. Family members thought it was cruel so kept taking the tape off. If left alone I think it may have worked.

Carlos has one ear standing up already - it was only taped for a couple of days. He doesn't mind the taping but my other kelpie, Ella keeps taking it off the other ear...chewing is supposed to help build up the cartilage as well - so by rights they should be well up by now...lol. I'll persevere for a little bit longer and see how he goes.