Papillon Vomiting - Hairballs?

Bee

I need a bit of a hand with Poppy, my 1 year old papillon dog. She has been throwing up about 1-2 times a week lately and I am getting a little concerned. She seems to be doing it on a fairly empty stomach most of the time, and is otherwise bright and happy. The vomit is a grey colour and appears to be saliva and a few unidentifiable things, but mostly composed of her own fur. She is a black and white dog by the way, so perhaps this explains the grey colour?

I want to make sure that she is ok, what do you think I should do? She is perfectly fine, apart from the occasional vomit. Should I treat it as if she was a cat, just coughing up furballs? She is a really fastidious groomer as well, but she hasn't been losing hair excessively or anything else odd, just the vomiting. It seems to have become slightly worse now that she is moulting.

Any advice? What can I do to make her feel better? Do you think it is serious? Obviously I will consult a vet on this, but I want to make sure I am at least on roughly the right track. She is fully c5 immunised and has had her yearly heartworm injection (she's never been without heartworm treatment), so I assume that rules a few things out. Is there a hairball medication my vet might recommend if this is what she's suffering from?

I think you are on the right track by taking her to the vets. Do you brush her daily to get rid of the excess hair. It's moulting season at the moment for our dogs, as you know.

Have you noticed if her bowels are working normally? Do a darn good inspection to make sure the poop is of normal consistency.

My young boy vomits on a regular basis, maybe once a fortnight, it's usually bits of bone that he brings up with that grey liquid you mention.

I have never done anything about it as he is quite happy otherwise and I assume it's just his body expelling something foreign that shouldn't be there......

But if it's happening so frequently with your little one, as cavNrott said, a vet check would be a good idea to rule out other things.

:thumbsup:

Yes my dogs get hairballs and they bring up matted stuff and also pass it as well.

First check with the vet that is all it is.

I use good old fashioned parrifin oil that I buy from the chemist, this is the "secret" ingredient in the hairball cat food.

I mix it in their food once a month and it covers the hair and expels. Wonderful for constipation also as it softens the stool.

My 7kg dog gets a cap ful.