Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Chicken Mince - Cooked Or Raw? - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Chicken Mince - Cooked Or Raw?

#1 User is offline   pomquest 

• Breeder/Exhibitor

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

Hi.....Could I please get some opinions on feeding Chicken Mince? Is is preferable to feed it raw or is lightly steamed ok? Am I treating my dogs too much like humans because I would rather feed it cooked? And what about Beef Mince? For some reason I am quite happy to feed Beef raw but not Chicken...... :)

#2 User is offline   Blue Fox 001 

• Blue Fox Park home to the wonderful poo "T"
  • State:SA

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

pomquest, on 2nd Nov 2007 - 05:57 PM, said:

Hi.....Could I please get some opinions on feeding Chicken Mince? Is is preferable to feed it raw or is lightly steamed ok? Am I treating my dogs too much like humans because I would rather feed it cooked? And what about Beef Mince? For some reason I am quite happy to feed Beef raw but not Chicken...... :)

I suppose everyone will have a different opinion pomquest but I am a fan of the Dr Billinghurst raw diet and I would say raw for everything. I suggest you also feed raw chicken wings, even if only the tips to your pom. They have notoriously bad teeth and this will help keep them clean, prevent gingivitis etc...

#3 Guest_kitakins_*

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:28 AM

if your dogs can handle raw, feed raw. if you dogs cant handle raw, dont feed raw. pretty much do whatever works. :) i personally cook my mince as my dog just cant handle raw. hardcore raw feeders would say im doing her a disservice but id rather give her cooked mince than have vomit and diarrhea all over the place.

#4 User is offline   iltby 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:40 AM

Feeding raw is preferable because most chicken minces have ground up bone in them and cooked bone is off-limits for dogs. Like Blue Fox, I would recommend the BARF diet.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• Forum Regular

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:19 PM

I don't cook any of my dog's food. She gets raw chicken mince (minced chicken frames) and raw beef mince as well as chicken necks and marrow bones etc.

#6 User is offline   IZZY 

• MDBA member

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

I feed either raw or cooked, but I only use human grade chicken mince, have a spy at the supermarket who lets me know when its marked down..........LOL

#7 User is offline   Ittybitty_ 

• Perfect Pomeranians

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

definately raw..... Cooking the chicken takes all the goodness out of it.. Sometimes if the poms get fussy as they do, I will cook it, but through it, I put some extra biolac, some performace oil, molasses etc, just to put back in what has been 'cooked out'..

But like said above, watch the tiny bones in it :rofl: unless you get the human grade chicken mince.

This post has been edited by Roxiekda: 04 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

#8 User is offline   koolietas 

• Forum Regular

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:16 AM

I buy human grade chicken mince and I give it to my sheltie raw a couple of times a week with his fruit & veg mush. Just treat your meats for your furkids as you would your own and you shouldn't have any probs.

#9 User is offline   persephone 

• Shutter-click Addict
  • State:SA

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:21 AM

if it's good quality..raw, definitely.

#10 User is offline   pomquest 

• Breeder/Exhibitor

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to try the BARF diet as I hear so many good things about it. They had their first meal of the chicken flavoured patties last night and they scoffed it down. A good start for fussy Poms. :rofl:

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions