Which Antihistamines Have Worked For Your Dog?

Mango

Hi all,

I am going through the process of trying to find an antihistamine which helps with my puppy's atopic allergy. We have already been to the vet and tried Iramine for 3 weeks (apparently usually the most successful one for dogs). We are now onto stage 2, trying human antihistamines. The vet has recommended that I start with Polaramine, which I've gone and purchased today. Can anyone give the names of ones which have worked for their dogs? Thanks so much.

We use Zyrtec - dog weighs 15kg - one tablet every day and two tablets on days she has her immunotherapy.

Have to say I did ask the dermatologist last time I saw her if we would be better on another anti-histamine and was told that Zyrtec is a second generation medication and so doesn't cause drowsiness like the first generation ones do eg Polaramine and since I do obedience and agility she didn't consider these being an alternative.

i have used polarmine on my wei, he swelled up one day after being out for a walk, bubbles everywhere, face swollen, rang vet ,but surgery was closed till later, nurse recommended it, gave me dosage, within 20 mins he was fine again.

I might be wrong here, but i'm pretty sure Iramine is pretty much the same as Polaramine?

Iramine is chlorpheniramine, where as Polaramine is Dexchlorpheniramine and I don't think there's much difference between the two.

Might be better off trying a completely different antihistamine with a totally different active ingredient...

Have to say I did ask the dermatologist last time I saw her if we would be better on another anti-histamine and was told that Zyrtec is a second generation medication and so doesn't cause drowsiness like the first generation ones do eg Polaramine and since I do obedience and agility she didn't consider these being an alternative.

Dogs are like people though and do react differently to antihistamines: some get drowsy, some don't.

Both my guys get 1 X 25mg phenergan twice a day and god help me if they are making them drowsy because they would be hurricanes without them!! :rofl: We do obedience, agility and they work with me in my dog training consultation too... no effect what so ever... so I wouldn't rule them out without a trial if you do need to swap antihistamines (as you sometimes do because resistance builds)... We use 6mg polarimine (my antihistamines) if we stuff up and run out and we used to use iramine, but developed resistance to it. Nice thing about using human ones is that they are cheaper!! :eek:

ETA: do you see Mandy or Sharon?

Edited by zayda_asher

We see Mandy at Murdoch and we had this big discussion 2 weeks ago about changing antihistamines when my dog had crashed and was in a bad way with her allergies.

Went with upping the dose as Mandy was sure Polarmine and the others would cause a drousiness effect and she knew this wouldn't be my first option.

We see Mandy at Murdoch and we had this big discussion 2 weeks ago about changing antihistamines when my dog had crashed and was in a bad way with her allergies.

Went with upping the dose as Mandy was sure Polarmine and the others would cause a drousiness effect and she knew this wouldn't be my first option.

Ok, we see Sharon (also at Murdoch if you haven't met her) which may account for the slightly different approach... but if you find upping the dose doesn't work try the others and see what effect it has... worst that will happen is that you loose a day to a drowsy dog... and you might not either, they might just keep on with the party and wonder what all the fuss was about! :rofl: As I said, my guys have never had an effect from any of the ones they've taken... Just give your self a day when your doing nothing and can observe for effects. I know a few dogs who take them with out drowsy side effects so its not a definite.

good luck

Edited by zayda_asher

I've used Claratyne for Flash with her hay fever and rashes. She used to get hay fever a lot more often when we lived in Charleville, so it's not as bad now. Probably because it's not as dusty here (although it would be rather muddy up there now!) The polaromine worked as well, but did make her drowsy.