Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Fading Puppy Syndrome - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Fading Puppy Syndrome We've lost 7 puppies from our litter of 8!

#1 User is offline   MooBoo 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

Hi all, we are just wondering if anyone has some info on fading puppy syndrome. :D We had a beautiful litter of 8 Dogue de Bordeauxs whelped on Monday. They were all little fatties and going great guns.

On Wednesday night/Thursday morning when I went in to check them, I found 3 seperated and when I picked them up they were really lethargic and limp, we tried everything we could but we lost 2 of them. We rushed the remaining 6 and mum to the vet as we didn't know what was happening, and we lost another 4 throughout the day there.

We picked mum and the remaining 2, 1 boy and 1 girl up that night to bring home, not expecting them to make it through the night. We have been feeding them every hour since Thursday night :) and they really picked up, they were putting weight on and suckling ferociously. Then this morning the little girl stopped suckling and died a couple of hours later.

We are so devasted. :cry: This is our first litter and we just don't know what to do. Is there anything we could have done to kepp them or is it just nature taking its course. Mum is very anxious and is trying to find her other pups. The vet tried to tell us that dogs can't count so wont know that there are any missing. What crap! She knows exactly what is happening, so does our other dog, who guards the pup, when mum is out having a break.

Any info you can give us would be appreciated, we are just wandering around like lost souls. It is heartbreaking :cry:

RIP little oompah loompahs, we miss you :cheer:

#2 User is offline   mersonmalinois 

• Breeder/Exhibitor/Judge
  • State:Overseas

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:31 PM

SO SORRY about your loss. :D My heart breaks for you and your family.

Did you have any of the puppies necropsied? You may be able to learn a lot from a post-mortem on a puppy or two.

Hugs to you and yours. :cheer:

#3 User is offline   MooBoo 

• Forum Regular

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

View Postmersonmalinois, on 27th Jan 2008 - 02:31 PM, said:

SO SORRY about your loss. :D My heart breaks for you and your family.

Did you have any of the puppies necropsied? You may be able to learn a lot from a post-mortem on a puppy or two.

Hugs to you and yours. :cheer:

We wanted to have a post mortem done but we simply couldn't afford it. We've maxxed out our credit card, we still have to pay the stud fee and we have 2 cars due for rego and insurance in Feb. We are broke.

#4 User is offline   goldielover 

• Owner/breeder

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now :cheer:

I agree with your comment that they can count. My girl needed a c-section last year and we lost 3 out of the 4 at birth due to uterine inertia, and she would bring 3 fluffy toys into the whelping box with her. So she knew she was having 4 even though she didn't even deliver them - it was awfully sad to see her cleaning the toys.

#5 User is offline   Stolzseinrotts 

• Home of the Mud Monsters
  • State:VIC

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

So sorry to hear about your bad news.

The only way to know what really went wrong is to have a puppy necropsied.

Again sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Oh and yes they most certainly can count!

This post has been edited by Stolzseinrotts: 27 January 2008 - 03:00 PM

#6 User is offline   Mjosa 

• Registered breeder exhibitor
  • State:SA

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:04 PM

So sorry to hear about the loss of your babies, keeping everything crossed that the remaining baby survives.
Terrible introduction to breeding.
When I have a bitch just about due to whelp, I get a piece of beef liver, cover it with water, boil it until the blood starts to run, seive it so as it is a clear liquid, cool to blood temperature and give 4 drops only on the tongue, repeat every four hours for the first 24 hours, then three times the following day, this has saved a lot of my puppies over the years, it is a recipe for saving fading puppies.
I usually make up the above a couple of days before whelping and put it into an icecube tray, then if and when I need it I just take a cube out place in a cup, put the cup in a bowl with boiling water, it is then the temp required without having to heat up in a saucepan.

#7 User is offline   Silverblue 

• breeder/exhibitor/groomer
  • State:VIC

Posted 27 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

This is all breeders worst nightmare.

Am very sorry for your heartbreaking loss

#8 User is offline   badboyz 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

Oh so sad for you MooBoo! :) It's moments like these that really test breeders. I have been through losing a whole litter a week before they were due. I really had to think whether I was strong enough to continue breeding or not. I hope your last little boy pulls through!

#9 User is offline   oakway 

• Forum Regular
  • State:QLD

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

Hi,
I am so sorry for loss. Nothing worse than losing pups.

Did you have the bitches milk checked.

Some bitches can have toxic milk and this can result

in puppy loss.

#10 User is offline   becks 

• Ho Hum

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

sorry to hear about your losses.

In my last litter i had 3 who died in the first couple of days, one lingered until 3.5 weeks old and 2 survived. They were on antibiotics for 3 weeks, nutridrops and supplemented with the bottle. The vet suggested it could be the herpes virus and to vaccinate future bitches when in whelp and 1 and 6 weeks post mating.

#11 User is offline   EISHUND 

• "Miss Swiss"

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

View PostMooBoo, on 27th Jan 2008 - 02:47 PM, said:

we still have to pay the stud fee and we have 2 cars due for rego and insurance in Feb. We are broke.

One single live puppy does not constitute a 'litter'. What does the stud contract say?

Sorry for your loss, how devastating to lose so many :D

#12 User is offline   Rysup 

• ~Ninja!~

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

I'd talk to the stud owner......not all stud dog owners are that heartless. I know I could never charge a fee when that sort of terrible disaster happened.

So sorry to hear of your loss, what a terrible start to breeding!

#13 User is offline   centitout 

• Forum Regular

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:26 AM

i would get bitch tested for herpes virus/infection and get the stud to do the same.4 of my babies decided to start giving up at the 6 day mark,by the 10 th day i took them in to get pts,but my vet gave it an almighty effort and all 4 pulled through and have never looked back.i was giving them the liver juice every hr for the first day and then 3 hrly for the next 2 days+antibiotics and she also told me to put them on liquified solids as well.
i too would never charge a stud fee if that happened to the bitches owners,only arseholes would do that.
very sorry it has happened to you,it is heartbreaking.

#14 User is offline   Cockerlover 

• Paws 4 Thoughts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:55 AM

HI: my heart goes out to you!its times like this that u wonder can you take the pain again!but although an awfull experiance ;especially your first litter;dont give up; its all part of being a breeder but happier times lie ahead IM sure; I would be getting the bitch/stud tested & God forbid the last baby dosnt make it ;have a pm done to confirm WHY!If you are strapped for cash pm me; I will pay for the post mortam; the stud owner should really assist you in this for thier own peace of mind ;but; not all are this way inclined ; my thuoghts are with you ;& time does heal the wounds of such a loss;sending you healing thoughts.

#15 User is offline   madredeperros 

• Mother to nutbars

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

Oh my gosh I am so sorry for you :D I can't offer any more advice then the others have already given so just know that we are all behind you & our hearts go out for you know matter what country each of us live in.

What a wonderful offer Cockerlover, that's really sweet! I was also going to suggest asking your vet if you could pay it off a little at a time, most are more than willing to help out in a terrible situation like this. When my blue boy died in '06 we were completely broke but because his full sister died the year before we needed to have a necropsy done. Our clinic paid for our gas money to get to the Vet University to have a proper necropsy performed & they paid for the $250 deposit & let me pay them back over 6 months later. I am still really thankful to them & am so glad the necropsy was done since it showed it wasn't a genetic reason they both died. It doesn't hurt to ask, they can only say no.

Good luck & give the remaining munchkin a huge hug from me.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions