Mast Cell Cancer

Staffyluv

Oh that's not good news at all Jodie. Sophie has been down the path of ligament repairs too, she's had both knees done. The first when she was 18 months and the second one a year later.

I do hope it all works out well for Ollie and the ligament doesn't rupture completely. Hopefully scar tissue will hold it.

Sophie's still confined to barracks too. It's awful not being able to walk them isn't it?

Keep us posted on Ollie please....and you are both amazing.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

If anyone has any questions about Mast Cell cancer - the pros and cons of chemo, treating with holisitic therapy, what mast cell lumps feel like/look like, or anything at all for that matter, feel free to ask and I will try to help by answering what I can with what I know.

There is link in the first post to a thread which contains our journey with MCT so far and that thread is actually in the main section of the health forum.

I will have this one in the palliative care section for those that would like to know more about MCT and just update his main thread with how he is going from time to time.

If I come across any new news on MCT or treatments I will update here.

Cheers

Jodie

Great Helen, you have much more experience than I do with this disease and many more.

I hope that Lucinda the wonder dog is still doing well, bless her she is amazing (as is your dedication to her).

Ollie is great. Even the cruciate ligament (which I decided not to have the operation to fix it) is not bothering him much - mostly he only limps a little when he first gets up in the morning. He was even running a bit at the park on Sunday (I posted some pics of him in a thread called Ollie dog in the photo forum - he looks so well).

Here is hoping for more time with them all and that they all stay as well as they are today.

Guest Willow

Jarrah had his final chemo two days ago.....the vet is really pleased with his progress, and is hopeful he will recover fully :laugh:

I feel as though I have been holding my breath for the last 6 months, and can finally breath again.

We`are having professional photos done to celebrate!

My thoughts are with all of you going through this......it's so tough to see your beloved dogs sick, but so wonderful that everyone can offer support to each other.

I haven't posted much about his illness, but simply knowing there were others out there who understood what we were going thorugh helped enormously.

Jarrah & his little mates, Hudson & Logan, 2 foster pups we looked after for a few days last week

hudsonjarrahtugowar.jpg

sharingthebed.jpg

That is good news Willow, chemo can be a hard road to travel (we did it). We also treat holistically with Vitamins and supplements and even the doggy oncologist cannot believe that Ollie is still here. It will be 3 years since he was diagnosed in October/November this year - and they thought he would only get another 18 months...

We sure showed em.

Good luck to you and Jarrah, I hope his tests stay clear for you.

Guest Willow

Staffords are tough & strong Staffyluv, and so are their owners!!!! (we don't have much choice do we?? :rolleyes: ) I'm sure Ollie has plenty of fight in him yet :o...he'll be showing 'em for a long time yet.

Good luck for your journey!

Cath

Thanks Anne, he had a ball - I am hoping OH comes with me again this Sunday because Ollie seems to have so much more fun when we are all there.

I think the leaves crunching under is feet help, he seems to enjoy that. He tries to catch them when they fall off the tree sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Nope, his leg has settled right down (vet can't believe it, this dog continues to amaze everyone) - but I don't allow him to run anymore. Occasionally he gets a little trot up at the park and I woo him up, saying no running old man...

He is doing as well as can be expected.

His best times are mornings and late afternoon (feed times ;) ). But he mostly sleeps the best part of the day away these days.

He looks well enough but the vet thinks that the cancer has a good hold on his stomach now because of the size of the tumours in there - we are just playing a waiting game and both of us are happy to wait as long as it takes.

Jodie,

You know that Ollie is always close in my heart.....; every time i look at Lucinda I send Ollie Dog a little prayer. Glad the leg is holding up... so is Dennys Dog who has an ACL problem which my vet felt needed surgery we are playing the waiting game with him .

Lucinda had a problem as well some years ago.. he leg was so bad that you could hear loud clicking as she walked. With rest and supplements she developed a callus there as did not require any surgical intervention.

Sending extra positive thoughts Ollies way.

Hugs to you and tummy tickles to Ollie

H

• 2 weeks later...

Ollie's leg is great (touch wood) and it only seems to bother him a bit when he has been sleeping for a while and then gets up - it is a bit stiff.

He is doing really well at the moment. He just celebrated his 11th birthday on the 12 June - a date that no doctor thought he would see.

I have noticed him of a morning or when he has had a long sleep - he seems to be very stiff when he gets up. So I am taking him, for a checkup this week and hopefully he can have another round of cartrophen injections to help with that. I am changing his Vit C to ester C when it comes in to see if that makes any difference. He is already on fish oil and glucosamine tablets.

Cheers

J

Ollie's leg is great (touch wood) and it only seems to bother him a bit when he has been sleeping for a while and then gets up - it is a bit stiff.

He is doing really well at the moment. He just celebrated his 11th birthday on the 12 June - a date that no doctor thought he would see.

I have noticed him of a morning or when he has had a long sleep - he seems to be very stiff when he gets up. So I am taking him, for a checkup this week and hopefully he can have another round of cartrophen injections to help with that. I am changing his Vit C to ester C when it comes in to see if that makes any difference. He is already on fish oil and glucosamine tablets.

Jodie that's great news that his leg isn't bothering him. He's probably got a bit of arthritis causing the stiffness in him. Hope the Cartrophen helps. He's a bit of a legend, the Ollie boy isn't he?

I hope the dear boy continues to do well. It's a great feeling when they reach a birthday the experts predicted they would never see.

Thanks Anne, he is a legend to me...

I never thought I would get this attached to an animal because I am such a logical person (being an Accountant and all). Normally my emotions don't get the better of me. I have even managed to separate from my alcoholic OH without too much drama or emotion (well not as much as most people seem to go through).

He is well enough in himself - I notice if he does not get his walk one day that he seems to be 'depressed' - not wanting to put human emotions on a dog but that is what it seems like. He just gets flat and does not try to play.

Have not had a chance to get him to the vet this week - the whole week has just slipped by. Will call them today because I just want him checked out again...

I am so proud of the little guy, he is such a battler that just seems to keep going. Bless him.

Give the girl a bug hug from me

Cheers

J