Mast Cell Cancer

Staffyluv

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for asking, the old man is just fine.

He toddles off on his morning walk, comes home and has breakfast (a bit of my porridge this morning) with his mountain of meds, which are mostly vitamins etc, and then goes out to my office and falls asleep until lunch time.

Lunch is some carafate and milk thistle with a dentastick to keep his teeth good (he can't seem to chew up anything harder than this now). Then he sleeps again until dinner time... More meds, meat and veg then he has a play with the boys. Then more meds with some yoghurt at 9pm then off to bed...

His life is like groundhog day :laugh: - same thing over and over but he is happy enough and still well with no pain.. That is the main thing.

He was a mighty happy lad last time I saw him :rofl:

Couldn't decide between the ladies in the dining room/bar or the blokes watching State of Origin, so he tarted himself all over the place :laugh:

Thats my boy....

I am glad he is not a female - he would have a shocking reputation :(

• 5 weeks later...

He is still going as well.

He is selectively deaf now and only sees the toys you throw occasionally. His walks are only for 15 - 20 minutes of a morning and he tends to sleep most of the day away unless he has a visitor (he still refuses to acknowledge that they might be here to see us, not him).

He has a huge lump in his tummy that you can actually see now but I don't think it is MCT - I am more inclined to believe it is a large lipoma but nothing we can do about it because I refuse to put him through more surgery. He has had more than his fair share of surgeries.

All the support and good wishes do wonders - the power of positive thinking even from afar is what has kept us both going.

Thanks

Sounds like the Ollie boy is still doing well Jodie. I do hope it's just a lipoma on his tum. I guess by now you'd have a good idea just by how it feels to the touch.

The good wishes and support from the kind folk on DOL encourage us to keep going during the dark times and there are those dark days when we think 'this it it'.

You and Ollie are an inspiration and have been a great help to me in dealing with Sophie's cancer. Sending positive vibes Ollie's way.

I am pretty confident it is a lipoma Anne - it does not feel at all like an MCT. They are more like a hard pea just under the surface of the skin and this is a big round soft lump, just like the lipoma that was removed at the same time as his MCT.

He is still as well, actually better than expected because they did not think he would still be here at this stage.

Thanks for the good thoughts, they are always welcome.

The good fight continues

Jodie and Ollie

Just catching up on all our special dogs..

Has Ollie had some nice sunny days to laze around in?

Hope he's doing good today - pottering around enjoying himself...

has his new lump been diagnosed as lipoma - hope it doesnt cause him too much discomfort

Just catching up on all our special dogs..

Has Ollie had some nice sunny days to laze around in?

Hope he's doing good today - pottering around enjoying himself...

has his new lump been diagnosed as lipoma - hope it doesnt cause him too much discomfort

Yep the lazy old bugger loves laying around in the sun (inside on the comfort of the lounge of course).

No the new lump has not been diagnosed - we don't test anymore because we know there is no point. His MCT was already systemic when his first tumour was removed, so it will be the case that he gets more, eventually.

I seem to be able to tell an MCT now from a lipoma - they really are very different. With the MCT (more often than not) feeling like a hard pea just under the skin and the lipomas feeling like an encased lump of fat (much spongier - for want of a better word).

We just treat holistically with vitamins and supplements and he has a couple of meds to help his tummy which he has had problems with since the chemo but on the whole the boy is doing really very well (fingers crossed).

Not anymore but I used to get mine from All Natural Vet Care (they have a website) in Sydney. I am not sure if they order them in or they make them up there.

Ollie only used the herbs while he was on chemo to help his immune system cope with what was going on - absolutely amazing. I think he only got sick three times in six months using those herbs.

I will try to track down the website for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping him your thoughts - I have a soft spot for all the sick babies too. How is Callie going?

As well as can be expected - actually better (the oncologist did not think he would be here at this stage).

A couple of his MCT's were up a bit the other day and he has been off for a couple of days - not too bad because he still wants to go for a walk every morning and he eats his breaky but not that interested in dinner of a night (he will eat it if I put it out in the afternoon but not after about 6pm).

I am going to make an appointment with the vet soon, I just want a full checkup because it has been a while since he had a full check.

And I think his thyroid meds might need adjusting again too, so that is another thing to get checked.

Cheers

Jodie

Edited by Staffyluv

Glad i popped in.. give Ollies a big hugs from me.

L is doing well too. Celevrated her 11th Birthday on 19 August and we are now 6 years past the initial diagnosis and the advice to taker her home for a few days to say goodbye....... All thanks to the All Natural Vet Care crew

Hugs

Helen

I was thinking about Lucinda the other day and wondering how she was going - still giving the postman heaps :) I am happy to hear she is doing well, give her a big hug for me.

She is a little younger than Ollie - he was 11 on the 12th June this year. But you would not know it, he was at the park yesterday woofing at the birds to make them fly - cheeky old bugger.