Cold Weather And Australian Cattle Dogs

Well, working cattle dogs often sleep out in the cold without a dog house or blankets so i guess as long as Chewy (i'm assuming you're talking about him?) has a place where he can snuggle down that's out of the wind he'll be fine. A dog house with lots of blankets sounds like a nice place for a dog to sleep! Zero prefers to sleep outside, but then again, he's a husky. He'd be happy to burrow down into the snow!

8 degrees is cool, but not overly cold :provoke:

If he's outside a lot, his coat will thicken up!

make sure his kennel faces away from where the cold wind normally blows..and that the 'doorway' is not overly large.

If he's not a chewer these days, then put a layer of cardboard under his blankets for insualtion, and make the blankets loose so he can burrow into them :hitself:

shredded paper makes a good bed, as dogs can 'nest' in it, and it holds in the warm air,doesn't harbour fleas, and you don't have to wash it!

our koolies sleep outdoors..they have kennels, and bedding, but some just dig 'beds' in the sand..even when it's frostyand showery.

Don't worry about him :laugh:

Well, working cattle dogs often sleep out in the cold without a dog house or blankets so i guess as long as Chewy (i'm assuming you're talking about him?) has a place where he can snuggle down that's out of the wind he'll be fine. A dog house with lots of blankets sounds like a nice place for a dog to sleep! Zero prefers to sleep outside, but then again, he's a husky. He'd be happy to burrow down into the snow!

Our pup is a long haired breed (Hungarian Puli) .. used to have a husky .. ditto about the snow LOL ... anyway back to the Puli .. I do admit I get concerned about the cold .. she is crated at night but outside during the day when we are out or inside when we are home. We came home two weeks ago to an absolutely drenched pup!! Silly mutt had stayed in the rain!! Her dog house is big enough for three cattle dogs but she obviously didn't see a need ... (see photo below!).

Whenever I put a towel to sleep on in the kennel she drags it out into the rain! I have resorted to putting a carpet mat (can be bought very cheaply ..between $2 - $10 from nearly all carpet places .. some people use them as mats for their cars .. come in different sizes) in the kennel. This has worked well as an insulator and also she can't drag it out as it is too stiff. I suggested this on one of the other threads on DOL ... perhaps even screwing the carpet squares on to the floor (on MDF someone else suggested), walls and roof .. depends on your dog house of course.

Anyway .. it's an idea.

post-16051-1209383792_thumb.jpg

Tango (GSP) is outside during the day with no coat and it can be as low as -2C when I leave for work. he has a pile of blankets in his kennel in an undercover area and a hessian bag hanging over the doorway ...stick my hand in the kennel when I get home and his body has warmed it nicely and it's quite cosy....

Our labradors sleep outside summer and winter, I admit that today they looked pretty cold but they all bundle up together.

They have two good kennels to share between four of them but often enough you'll find them out on the grass amongst the frost at 6 in the morning.

Like others if I put blankets in thier kennels they just become tug of war toys - why waster good blankets. But I like the carpet idea, might see if OH can tack it down a bit so it doesnt become a toy. :provoke:

ACD's are as tough and hardy as they come, so Chewy will be fine. I agree as long as the wind doesn't blow directly in on him, he can snuggle into the blankets he has and keep warm.

Chloe has many beds both inside and out, but many times would rather sit on the wet towels put down at the door way to stop the rain blowing in than in a nice soft warm bed. Go figure... :hug:

Tango (GSP) is outside during the day with no coat and it can be as low as -2C when I leave for work. he has a pile of blankets in his kennel in an undercover area and a hessian bag hanging over the doorway ...stick my hand in the kennel when I get home and his body has warmed it nicely and it's quite cosy....

Was going to suggest this too. Putting a blanket/bag over the door of the kennel makes it much warmer for them inside. Provided they will still use it of course. :rolleyes:

According to my mother a that is definetly not cold enough and a dog would never need a jacket.

According to me if I'm freezing my cootie off and I'm SMOTHERED in layers and layers and beanie and scarf and gloves.....it's cold for my girls. Regardless of whether they're used to it or not.

This weather is insane though...so cold already and winter hasn't even hit!