Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Lump On Top Of Neck A Week After Vaccination - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Lump On Top Of Neck A Week After Vaccination Is this normal?

#1 User is offline   DogsLover 

• Dog Owner

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:21 PM

Hello Everyone,

We found a lump on top of my dog's neck (near the shoulder blade) a week after her last puppy vaccination. We ring the vet today and the vet nurse/receptionist said that it is normal and commented that the dog must have moved when the needle is in her. She advised us to massage the lump and it should go away about 5 days later.

Is this true? :laugh:

#2 User is offline   tramissa 

• Forum Regular

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

Yes :laugh: I started to freak out when it happened to Moo last vacc, then I realised what it was and about 10 days later it was gone.

#3 User is offline   puggy_puggy 

• Pug nut
  • State:VIC

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Yep some dogs can get a reaction to thier needles. Massage it when you think of it. It might take two weeks to totally go but it will.

#4 User is offline   DogsLover 

• Dog Owner

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for your response :cheer:

Haven't seen it in our other 2 dogs so was getting worried :laugh:

#5 User is offline   Cavandra 

• Groomer/Breeder/Exhibitor
  • State:NSW

Posted 25 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Yes this is a Vaccine reaction, and it should be reported .........

#6 User is offline   puggy_puggy 

• Pug nut

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

Cavandra, on 25th Jun 2008 - 04:48 PM, said:

Yes this is a Vaccine reaction, and it should be reported .........

Reported? Why?

I have never had this reaction happen in my own pugs but they always get an antihistamine shot before their injections anyway.

I have had it happen to a 4 year old foster of mine a year or so ago and know of others that have ahd it happen to their dogs..

Also my two foster pug pups had their 12 week needles a few weeks ago and one developed a lump and the other didn't. The vet used the same vile of vaccine for both the pups so I don't think it was anything to do with the vaccine just with how each pup coped with it.

#7 User is offline   showdog 

• owned by dogs
  • State:Overseas

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

"Yes this is a Vaccine reaction, and it should be reported ........"

I wouldnt consider this a reaction but a case of either the dog moving or the injection point being poor.

massage & keep an eye on it as occasionally they need draining.
I have had 1 dog get this who is a needle phobic & moved which is why he ended up with the lump

#8 User is offline   Cavandra 

• Groomer/Breeder/Exhibitor
  • State:NSW

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:47 AM

Vaccines are not administered as an IM injection, there is no reason to cause an abscess .......This reaction was the reason I switched to Canvac brand years ago......I have been coaxed back to Protech now, and so far so good........One of mine took 2 months for the abscess to go!

#9 User is offline   puggy_puggy 

• Pug nut

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Cavandra, on 26th Jun 2008 - 07:47 AM, said:

Vaccines are not administered as an IM injection, there is no reason to cause an abscess .......This reaction was the reason I switched to Canvac brand years ago......I have been coaxed back to Protech now, and so far so good........One of mine took 2 months for the abscess to go!

I wouldn't call the lump an abscess as it is not an infection. It's a reaction, inflamation, to the injection.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions