Lump On Top Of Neck A Week After Vaccination

Hello Everyone,

We found a lump on top of my dog's neck (near the shoulder blade) a week after her last puppy vaccination. We ring the vet today and the vet nurse/receptionist said that it is normal and commented that the dog must have moved when the needle is in her. She advised us to massage the lump and it should go away about 5 days later.

Is this true? :laugh:

Yes this is a Vaccine reaction, and it should be reported .........

Reported? Why?

I have never had this reaction happen in my own pugs but they always get an antihistamine shot before their injections anyway.

I have had it happen to a 4 year old foster of mine a year or so ago and know of others that have ahd it happen to their dogs..

Also my two foster pug pups had their 12 week needles a few weeks ago and one developed a lump and the other didn't. The vet used the same vile of vaccine for both the pups so I don't think it was anything to do with the vaccine just with how each pup coped with it.

"Yes this is a Vaccine reaction, and it should be reported ........"

I wouldnt consider this a reaction but a case of either the dog moving or the injection point being poor.

massage & keep an eye on it as occasionally they need draining.

I have had 1 dog get this who is a needle phobic & moved which is why he ended up with the lump

Vaccines are not administered as an IM injection, there is no reason to cause an abscess .......This reaction was the reason I switched to Canvac brand years ago......I have been coaxed back to Protech now, and so far so good........One of mine took 2 months for the abscess to go!

Vaccines are not administered as an IM injection, there is no reason to cause an abscess .......This reaction was the reason I switched to Canvac brand years ago......I have been coaxed back to Protech now, and so far so good........One of mine took 2 months for the abscess to go!

I wouldn't call the lump an abscess as it is not an infection. It's a reaction, inflamation, to the injection.