Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Bitch Still Bleeding After Being Mated - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Bitch Still Bleeding After Being Mated

#1 User is offline   bel 

• BEL

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

I had my bitch AI'd just over 2 weeks ago. She is still bleeding a fair bit, with blood clots in it.

Temp is normal, she is eating really well, still bright and happy.

I took her to the vets tonight. She put her on antibiotics to cover for any infections.

Any ideas as to why?

This will be her last litter, so it is quite important to me.

regards
Bel

#2 User is offline   Rascal 

• Lil Rascals : Exhibitor / Breeder / Pug Lover / Midwife
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hi Bel,
Did she do this during/through her last pregnancy? My girl bleeds until she's mated spots (sometimes with fleshy discharge) until she whelps and then spots until the babies are weaned. My vets (both of them) reckon it is normal for her and that there is nothing wrong with her and to stop worrying. I panicked the whole way through her first litter. What have your vets said? Was she a surgical AI implant or was it fresh/chilled just administered?
Best of luck with her. Puppy kisses.
Rascal

#3 User is offline   bel 

• BEL

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

hi Rascal

She usually bleeds for a week after then it goes to a brown discharge and stops. She is passing fresh blood with clots.

Vet put her on antibiotics just as a precaution. I asked if she thought she maybe abourting, she didn't think so. She said her cervix is closed which is a good sign I guess.

A fresh Ai was done. She had 3 in total (I own the stud as well).

As I said before she seems normal in every other way. I have a four and half month old puppy and she wants to play with her.

Bel

#4 User is offline   Cockerlover 

• Paws 4 Thoughts
  • State:NSW

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

I have not eperianced this myself ,but i do know of another bitch who did as yours is doing, she went on to have a healthy litter ,try not to worry .

#5 User is offline   bel 

• BEL

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Cockerlover. Its hard not to worry. Will be happy once I know for sure if shes pregnant.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Bel

#6 User is offline   becks 

• Ho Hum
  • State:Overseas

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

Keep an eye on her, someone in one of my breeds had a bitch bleed for 3 weeks after mating, the bitch ended up having an emergency spay at that point and was fighting for her life.

#7 User is offline   bel 

• BEL

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

i am keeping a very close watch on her. The bleedings seems to have settled a little, she is extremely bright, still running and playing eating really well(which for her is unusual as she is usually picky). As I can't put her back in the yard with my other dogs (all males) she is penned during the day with my 5 month old girls, and at night she sleeps beside my bed.

The first sign of something abnormal she will be off to the vets.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions