Can I Safely Give Raw Chicken Wings To A Ten-week-old Pup?

Martha is a ten-week-old Lab puppy. I was feeding her Orijen but my stockist ran out so I got Eagle Pack instead. After doing a bit of research I don't think it's got enough meat in it and want to supplement.

How many chicken wings should I feed her? She's on 2.5 cups of kibble. I thought I'd give her 1.5 and a chicken wing — does that sound right?

I am having a similar problem with quantity of raw since my pup won't touch the dry food at all (have some Orijen on the way though). I usually give her 1 or 2 wings in a meal and then mince in the evening plus sometimes an afternoon bone.

are you going to feed chicken wings as a meal on its own, like is it going to be lunch or tea?

For dinner, I thought. So kibble for breakfast and lunch, then a wing for dinner.

I guess my questions are:

1. are chicken wings safe for a young pup, and

2. how much kibble do they replace.

Ness, how old/big is you puppy?

I think the puppy will need more than 1.5 wing for a meal.

I recall my dogs (dobermanns - so simmilar size to the lab) eating as many chicklen NECKS as many weeks they were.

12 weeks, 12 kg , 12 chicken neks for a meal

are you going to feed chicken wings as a meal on its own, like is it going to be lunch or tea?

For dinner, I thought. So kibble for breakfast and lunch, then a wing for dinner.

I guess my questions are:

1. are chicken wings safe for a young pup, and

2. how much kibble do they replace.

Ness, how old/big is you puppy?

Chicken wings are safe for pups, i feed my 7 month old Shih Tzu 2 wings as a meal and my rottie pups would eat 6 wings. I dont feed kibble but it would replace one of your kibble meals.

Chicken wings chicken frames chicken necks are all a fantastic way to get natural calcium into your puppy, and they love it

Edited by Guest

Ooops sorry pup is a 16 week old BC who is super fussy with food as it is. She will be on the small side apparently. She runs around like a mad thing though :rofl: .

Edited by ness

i find anything chicken works well with my pup. as soon as they have left mum its ok to start getting them sued to bones. i started with necks, given a few wings, and whne hse's really good she gets a frame.

the breeder i got her from used to throw a few carcasses into the pens and let the dogs go for it.

I have always fed wing to dogs. Never had any problems at all.

We have an elderly 3.5 kg Maltese, a 7kg 1 y/o pug, a 47 kg 3 1/2 y/o Rottie and her 10 m/o 37 kg daughter. All eat wings every week and never have any problems. As for quantity, the malt will eat 1 -2 depends on what else he eats, the pig um pug, will eat the same as the malt plus extra (not as much as she want though :confused: ) and the Rotties will eat 3 - 5 depending on what else is in the bowl. All dogs would gladly eat as many wings as they could, I feed other raw foods with their wings.

I have fed pups from 5 weeks on chicken wings and never had problems. I do sit with the pups while they are eating just incase.

2.5 cups of kibble sounds like alot to me for a 10 week pup? I would definately cut down on that and give a few chicken wings as one of the meals.

Really? I fed less of the Orijen, but my stockist didn't have any Orijen so I got Eagle Pack. I'm just using the pack itself as a guide — in fact that's the lower end of what it says she should get given her age and weight. I agree though — it seems like a lot to me also!

Having said that, she's in no way overweight, she's quite lean. She is growing VERY fast though.

By the way, she LOVED the chicken wings. I only gave her one for her dinner, and this seemed to do her. I might feed her even less kibble and go for two.

I find feeding all very confusing — lots of conflicting advice — but I'm trying to maintain her weight so her ribs are not visible but I can easily feel them, and so she has a defined waist when observed from above. But should I factor in her growth as well?

Guest Tess32

You could do half half as many others do and give kibble for breakfast and then meaty bones at night - chicken wings, chicken frames, turkey necks/frames/wings, lamb necks....all fine for puppies to eat.

2.5 cups of kibble sounds like alot to me for a 10 week pup? I would definately cut down on that and give a few chicken wings as one of the meals.

Really? I fed less of the Orijen, but my stockist didn't have any Orijen so I got Eagle Pack. I'm just using the pack itself as a guide — in fact that's the lower end of what it says she should get given her age and weight. I agree though — it seems like a lot to me also!

Having said that, she's in no way overweight, she's quite lean. She is growing VERY fast though.

By the way, she LOVED the chicken wings. I only gave her one for her dinner, and this seemed to do her. I might feed her even less kibble and go for two.

I find feeding all very confusing — lots of conflicting advice — but I'm trying to maintain her weight so her ribs are not visible but I can easily feel them, and so she has a defined waist when observed from above. But should I factor in her growth as well?

In a large fast growing puppy you should be able to feel it's ribs quite easily. I fed my older wei Eagle large growth puppy and he was always quite thin and i had to feed him more the the recommended allowance plus mince to try and get weight on him. I ended up giving up with eagle pack as he just stayed skinny. As soon as I switched him to orijen he gained weight instantly. I currently have my 12wk old puppy on Eagle Pack large breed puppy as I can't get any large breed puppy from orijen. I make sure to feed him the max for his age and weight due to the fact I know these biscuits don't have much in them. I also feed mince and my puppy is growing nicely. You can feel his ribs and back bone and my vet said he's the perfect weight for his breed and age.

Hope that helps. Just don't under feed your pup on Eagle pack or over feed it on orijen. When I get hold of some orijen for my puppy I'll cut his daily amount right back to make up for all it's extra protein.

Not a BARF expert by any means, but my lab pups are started on chicken wings etc from 5 weeks and by 10 weeks the manage 1/4 to 1/2 a chicken carcass for a meal, very easily. Personally I prefer the bones in the morning and dry at night. The bones take longer to eat and so they keep them busy during the morning and any upset tummies settles by mid afternoon instead of asking them to hang on over night!