Half Black, Half Pink Nose. Is This Normal?

~Aimee~

My puppy is 8 weeks old and still has patches of pink on her nose. My breeder said that was normal and that it would gradually turn all black in the next couple of weeks. Someone else I talked to said that this is not normal and that a puppy's nose should have turned black by 8 weeks old. They suggested I give my puppy kelp vitamins to assist in turning the nose black quicker. When I asked my vet about it tonight she said that our puppy's nose is ok and that it wouldn't get blacker. It would just stay the same as it is now and it wouldn't do the dog any harm. But the person I was talking to earlier said that if my puppy's nose stays pink, it could be prone to skin cancer :laugh:

As you can see I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting advice. Can anyone help? Did anyone else have a puppy with a patchy nose and did it eventually turn balck or remain the same? Has it affected your dog in any way?

It can still colour up yet. I sold one of my Hav puppies as a pet because she hadn't coloured up as much as i liked but by the time she was 12 weeks and ready to go the colour was still coming thru. The kelp wouldn't do the puppy any harm. Dont give up yet.

The noses can still darken up till about 12 - 14 weeks. I have a show pup here of 13 weeks, who still has pink on the nose, I am not worried, every week there is a little more black. I know this is standard with this breed.

What colour is the muzzle and cheeks? And what breed?

And have you discussed this with the breeder?

Edited by Jed

Thanks for your replies.

Georgie-boy- Do you have any photos of Millie as a puppy so I can compare?

Jed- Ruby is in my sig. She is a cavalier and has a white muzzle and white/tan cheeks. I did discuss this with my breeder and she said the black should fill in within the next couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using kelp? Is it safe for puppies?

Rather than Kelp try Colormax. It should be available at better pet stores. Most of the show vans stock it or can order it in. It is an Australian product and seems to work.

Kelp if given in the wrong doses can act on the thyroid gland.

Colormax is a dog product tho i guess it can probably be used on cats too.

It has according to the bottle

L Tyrosine

L Cysteine Hydro chloride

Maltodextrin

Natural Beef Flavor

According to the bottle the first 2 ingredients are what gives pigment its colour.

Colour- Max

Thanks for your replies.

Georgie-boy- Do you have any photos of Millie as a puppy so I can compare?

I do...these were at about 9 weeks - they aren't the greatest and although it looks as though she has a full black nose - it is still quite pink around the outside. I wish I could find the one of her at 4 - 5 weeks as that was quite pink but I have no idea where it is - prob on my old computer!

picture093zq0.jpg

picture095ut6.jpg

<Ruby is in my sig. She is a cavalier and has a white muzzle and white/tan cheeks. I did discuss this with my breeder and she said the black should fill in within the next couple of weeks.>

Aimee I would expect it to take longer than a couple of weeks.

Hi, Aimee, I think it will fill in. But I wouldn't expect it to by 8 weeks. I breed cavs, and a lot of mine have a little pink on their noses when they leave home, but they all end up with black noses. After 12 - 14 weeks, you can begin to worry. I don't think feeding kelp etc. will work. the nose will colour before the kept has time to work, I think.

Don't know how helpful this will be but....I just got my aussie shepherd, she's a red merle and has a butterfly nose, two little spots of pink on each side :laugh:

As far as showing etc they allow colour on the nose up until 12 months of age and the breeder told me it will most likely fill in (she's just a pet dog so I'm not concerned other than needing to use sunscreen) so I assume sometimes it does fill in by then...

different breed though.....

Are there any breeders that can answer this question for me? I'm getting quite upset as someone on here has been PMing me insisting I use supplements and that if I don't it will be an error on my part and that I am increasing her risk of skin cancer. Now obviously I want the best for my puppy, I don't want her to get sick un-neccessarily. But I also don't want to harm her by giving her something I'm not 100% positive is safe. The vet hasn't backed it up, she said supplements weren't neccessary so I am very confused! :D

Are there any breeders that can answer this question for me? I'm getting quite upset as someone on here has been PMing me insisting I use supplements and that if I don't it will be an error on my part and that I am increasing her risk of skin cancer. Now obviously I want the best for my puppy, I don't want her to get sick un-neccessarily. But I also don't want to harm her by giving her something I'm not 100% positive is safe. The vet hasn't backed it up, she said supplements weren't neccessary so I am very confused! :)

Aimee there is no way I insisted that you used supplements. I stated that I was disappointed that you could not see the benifit of improving the pups nose. I did not keep a copy of my last PM but here is the previous one.

Hi Amiee,

Unfortunatley vets like doctors do not belive in alternate therapy.

I have never heard of colourmax.

I was suggested Kelp by a breeder. I have used it extensivly on my dogs with no ill effect. The youngest we starated at 4 weeks as his nose was a shocker and a Ruby. I have found that whole colours get a black nose quicker. He did not compared with his litter brother who had a very rocky start. Wthin 1 week you could see the difference.

I will look when I get home to see how much Idoine is it the tablets but they are human grade so I do not see a problem

Cheers XXX

As I stated in my last PM the kelp tablets are human grade so there is now way they would harm a pup.

As a breeder and I was to sell a pup with that much pink on its nose I be doing it disservice if I did not supply the new owners with kelp tablets and information for their use.

I plan on ringing to enquire about Colourmax on Monday.