What Size Travel Crate For A Golden Retriever?

blithespirit

Hello,

I'm bringing home my new golden retriever puppy in 2 weeks. :mad

I am planning on crate training him, and I decided to buy a travel crate to suit his adult size (as recommended elsewhere on these forums, I'll block off the back half of the crate while he's little to keep it an appropriate size for him).

I'd like to buy a crate which is suitable for air travel as well, because I'm planning to fly home for Christmas with my dog. I hoped that someone familiar with goldens can advise me on what size crate they use for flying their adult goldens.

Thanks in advance. :mad

blithe

You'd probably need one of the larger sizes.

To fit the specifications for air travel your dog needs to have enough room to be able to stand up and turn around in the crate, as well as lie down. I think it also needs to have a metal door rather than a plastic one, and a solid floor (rather than a cage type bottom where things can fall through).

I actually took my dog with me to the shop and tried out various sizes.

You'd probably need one of the larger sizes.

To fit the specifications for air travel your dog needs to have enough room to be able to stand up and turn around in the crate, as well as lie down. I think it also needs to have a metal door rather than a plastic one, and a solid floor (rather than a cage type bottom where things can fall through).

I actually took my dog with me to the shop and tried out various sizes.

Hi - we brought our male golden retriever over from UK and the crate was massive - jillybean is right, the dog has to be able to stand, sit and turn around. Im not sure about domestic travel but for the international flight they also require you to have a water bowl which can be refilled from the outside without having to open the gate. Airpets actually purpose built our crate and it's wooder.

Where abouts in Oz are you? Ours is for sale!! :laugh:

which crate.

Depends which airline you plan to travel.

QANTAS allow collapsible wire crates.Virgin only accept solid wire(not collapsible) or vari kennels(solid plastic).

Also depends which states your flying to(.For example the smaller planes can only fit certain sized crates)

As for size .It doesnt have to be able to stand up but it must be to turn around & lay down happily.

The wooden quarantine crates whilst tall are very narrow