Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Best Dry Food For A Puppy? - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Best Dry Food For A Puppy?

#1 User is offline   ~Aimee~ 

• RIP little Lucy. May your star shine bright up in puppy heaven x

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:02 PM

We have our 15 week old cavalier on Advance puppy food. Most of the time she eats it fine but doesn't really love it nor hate it. We chose this brand as this is what our breeder was feeding her and didn't really know much about dry foods or which brand/s were best.

Is Advance an ok brand to feed? There are so many different brands on the market that it is very confusing. I have heard that Royal Canin is also meant to be good and was thinking of trying Ruby on that to see if she likes it better. When choosing a dog food what should I be looking for? I don't want to spend heaps on food so I am looking at buying something in the middle range in terms of costs. Can you buy sample bags of foods?

#2 User is offline   WreckitWhippet 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

If you want to spend less and use the best, go raw. :laugh:

#3 User is offline   Crest_Fallen 

• Forum Regular

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

My new puppy wasn't keen on the food the breeder recommended either but have found he loves raw (he got so excited when I got the raw chicken necks out for the cats for dinner so I gave him one and he got stuck into it). So he now eats raw chicken necks and barf with a sprinkle of kibble. I put him on Eagle Pack Puppy but I can't say that puppy is overly keen on kibble at all so I think it will be the last bag I get of it. He will only eat a little of the kibble if it is mixed with his barf though.

#4 User is offline   Joshua 

• Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:43 PM

I'm feeding my little guy a mixture of raw and dry (orijen) ...

IMO raw is great, you should give it to your pup and see how they respond... Grizzly goes nuts for it! :laugh:

#5 User is offline   KarriLab 

• Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

We feed our lab puppy Advance puppy biscuits in combination with raw chicken carcasses, lamb flaps and vegies (which helps lower the cost of feeding her). She seems to be doing really well on it.

#6 User is offline   Melissa4 

• Melissa

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

My dogs will eat anything if they are hungry enough - they tend to eat anything.

Some of the bikkies they dont like, others they do. Advance bikkies were an on and off thing so my cat ate them when they didn't feel like them.

I find they like natural pedigree and they absolutely go crazy for the cat bikkies!!

Goodluck finding the right one!

#7 User is offline   luvsdogs 

• Forum Regular

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

Raw is great, as long as you don't mix the bones/raw meal with kibble. They digest at different rates & the bones will ferment in the gut if kibble is fed at the same time. I didn't know this until I went on a pet food forum. My pup gets a mix of Innova puppy & Supercoat Puppy with other things added in for breakfast & sometimes bones for dinner.
The things to look for in a good kibble is having meat as the 1st 2-3 ingredients, no corn. The ones with grains as the 1st ingredients are the ones to stay clear of.

This post has been edited by luvsdogs: 06 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

#8 User is offline   Bjelkier 

• Hav-a-Sam

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

My little boy gets raw and pro plan, he loves it.

#9 User is offline   renee08 

• Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

We feed our 4 month old GSP puppy with Advance. He is doing really really well on it, and seems to love the taste as well. Our breeder recommended the Advance, so we stuck with it (its easy to buy at our local pet stores also). We had a freebie bag of Hills Science stuff, but he did not seem as interested in it. Our vet has commented how well he is doing on the Advance, in regards to his growth, and his coat etc.

By the sounds of it, a lot of DOL people feed their dogs Orijen...I would be willing to try this but as yet have not seen any in local shops so will be sticking with the Advance...

#10 User is offline   araluen 

• Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

We feed all our dogs Eukanuba and they do really well on it and seem to love the taste.

With samples, its worth asking in your local pet store because a lot of the premium foods have a money back guarantee in case you or your dog doesn't like it - so you can buy a big bag and try it for a few weeks to see how they go with it.

#11 User is offline   laffi 

• Agility, Obedience, Flyball and Dog Frisbee Addict

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:06 PM

I think the best food the the one that your dog is doing well on.

However I do believe that it's important to know how to rate dog foods and know how to read the ingredients.
I found these two sites the most helpful:

http://dogfoodanalysis.com/
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

#12 User is offline   Kyra 

• Forum Regular
  • State:WA

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:40 AM

We use Supercoat puppy for dry food. I'll be changing back to RC when I start working again next week. However I don't see a problem with supercoat. My cats have it too.
&
The rest is raw food & veggies.

#13 User is offline   Miss BeRidgierent 

• ridgeback-lover
  • State:QLD

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

feeding a dog is really not that expensive I feed both my ridgebacks (1 year old) for $30 a week. Thats just raw food, with everything they need in it vegies, egg, yogurt we buy it all made up and ready to go, easy as. I think you should change to raw food, but if you want to feed your pup dry food I would go orijen as it has no wheat.

#14 User is offline   laffi 

• Agility, Obedience, Flyball and Dog Frisbee Addict

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

ridgeback-lover, on 15th Oct 2008 - 02:01 PM, said:

feeding a dog is really not that expensive I feed both my ridgebacks (1 year old) for $30 a week. Thats just raw food, with everything they need in it vegies, egg, yogurt we buy it all made up and ready to go, easy as. I think you should change to raw food, but if you want to feed your pup dry food I would go orijen as it has no wheat.

:) I totally agree.

Btw if you do want to feed dry Orijen is rated 6/6 on http://www.dogfoodan...g_food_reviews/

#15 User is offline   fbaudry 

• Forum Regular

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

ridgeback-lover, on 15th Oct 2008 - 03:01 PM, said:

could I ask you which brand you use? I'd love to find something raw, ready to go and not too expensive... Doing my own at the moment but I find it a bit time consuming and messy, and would rather spend this time training or playing rather than pulping vegies with my small blender!

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions