Best Dry Food For A Puppy?

~Aimee~

We have our 15 week old cavalier on Advance puppy food. Most of the time she eats it fine but doesn't really love it nor hate it. We chose this brand as this is what our breeder was feeding her and didn't really know much about dry foods or which brand/s were best.

Is Advance an ok brand to feed? There are so many different brands on the market that it is very confusing. I have heard that Royal Canin is also meant to be good and was thinking of trying Ruby on that to see if she likes it better. When choosing a dog food what should I be looking for? I don't want to spend heaps on food so I am looking at buying something in the middle range in terms of costs. Can you buy sample bags of foods?

My new puppy wasn't keen on the food the breeder recommended either but have found he loves raw (he got so excited when I got the raw chicken necks out for the cats for dinner so I gave him one and he got stuck into it). So he now eats raw chicken necks and barf with a sprinkle of kibble. I put him on Eagle Pack Puppy but I can't say that puppy is overly keen on kibble at all so I think it will be the last bag I get of it. He will only eat a little of the kibble if it is mixed with his barf though.

My dogs will eat anything if they are hungry enough - they tend to eat anything.

Some of the bikkies they dont like, others they do. Advance bikkies were an on and off thing so my cat ate them when they didn't feel like them.

I find they like natural pedigree and they absolutely go crazy for the cat bikkies!!

Goodluck finding the right one!

Raw is great, as long as you don't mix the bones/raw meal with kibble. They digest at different rates & the bones will ferment in the gut if kibble is fed at the same time. I didn't know this until I went on a pet food forum. My pup gets a mix of Innova puppy & Supercoat Puppy with other things added in for breakfast & sometimes bones for dinner.

The things to look for in a good kibble is having meat as the 1st 2-3 ingredients, no corn. The ones with grains as the 1st ingredients are the ones to stay clear of.

Edited by luvsdogs

We feed our 4 month old GSP puppy with Advance. He is doing really really well on it, and seems to love the taste as well. Our breeder recommended the Advance, so we stuck with it (its easy to buy at our local pet stores also). We had a freebie bag of Hills Science stuff, but he did not seem as interested in it. Our vet has commented how well he is doing on the Advance, in regards to his growth, and his coat etc.

By the sounds of it, a lot of DOL people feed their dogs Orijen...I would be willing to try this but as yet have not seen any in local shops so will be sticking with the Advance...

We feed all our dogs Eukanuba and they do really well on it and seem to love the taste.

With samples, its worth asking in your local pet store because a lot of the premium foods have a money back guarantee in case you or your dog doesn't like it - so you can buy a big bag and try it for a few weeks to see how they go with it.

We use Supercoat puppy for dry food. I'll be changing back to RC when I start working again next week. However I don't see a problem with supercoat. My cats have it too.

&

The rest is raw food & veggies.

feeding a dog is really not that expensive I feed both my ridgebacks (1 year old) for $30 a week. Thats just raw food, with everything they need in it vegies, egg, yogurt we buy it all made up and ready to go, easy as. I think you should change to raw food, but if you want to feed your pup dry food I would go orijen as it has no wheat.

feeding a dog is really not that expensive I feed both my ridgebacks (1 year old) for $30 a week. Thats just raw food, with everything they need in it vegies, egg, yogurt we buy it all made up and ready to go, easy as. I think you should change to raw food, but if you want to feed your pup dry food I would go orijen as it has no wheat.

:) I totally agree.

Btw if you do want to feed dry Orijen is rated 6/6 on http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

could I ask you which brand you use? I'd love to find something raw, ready to go and not too expensive... Doing my own at the moment but I find it a bit time consuming and messy, and would rather spend this time training or playing rather than pulping vegies with my small blender!

could I ask you which brand you use? I'd love to find something raw, ready to go and not too expensive... Doing my own at the moment but I find it a bit time consuming and messy, and would rather spend this time training or playing rather than pulping vegies with my small blender!

Yeah its much better then doing it yourself here is there website http://www.caninecountry.com.au/ they have lots of great stuff. They make there food themselves and is cheap as 1kg is $3.25 and if you buy 10 1kg packets it's $30.00 they have a huge range from roo to turkey. They also have bulk bone products, nothing dodgy people quality food.

ETA: Woops sorry don't know if you live around the brisbane area as thats where they are located. But I'm sure if you ask in the Health / Nutrition / Grooming forum someone will help you out.

Edited by ridgeback-lover

Yeah its much better then doing it yourself here is there website http://www.caninecountry.com.au/ they have lots of great stuff. They make there food themselves and is cheap as 1kg is $3.25 and if you buy 10 1kg packets it's $30.00 they have a huge range from roo to turkey. They also have bulk bone products, nothing dodgy people quality food.

ETA: Woops sorry don't know if you live around the brisbane area as thats where they are located. But I'm sure if you ask in the Health / Nutrition / Grooming forum someone will help you out.

Wow that's a great site, anybody know if there is a similar place in Vic?

Thanks for that! When I read your post

first i went yeah! that's exactly what i want :birthday:

then i went: bummer that's only in Brisbane, was too good to be true :(

but I went to their website and they have stockists in NSW

soooo Thank you thank you thank you :p :mad