Best Dry Food For A Puppy?

~Aimee~

Its important at this age to stick with the kibble whether the dog is enthusiastic about it or not, if your consistent the dog should learn the habit. IMO a diet based mainly on high quality kibble is the best sort. I feed 2 serves of kibble during the day and a steak at night.

I feed Eukanuba. My dog is doing great on it. Because its so packed with good stuff serving sizes are very small. My dog is 20kg and I only feed 2 cups a day. I buy Premium so its a fraction more expensive but a 3kg bag is $28 and that lasts me 2 weeks, so $15 a week. Your dog probably wont eat half that, so you know its not as expensive as it sounds, its not like buying 3kg of meaty bites or something that will last 5 minutes.

IMO a diet based mainly on high quality kibble is the best sort.

Based on what Cal? Your dog might be doing well on high quality kibble but how do you know it wouldn't be doing better on natural food?

Dogs haven't evolved in the past fifty years or so since kibble was produced, how do you think they cope with cooked meat + grain? Cooked meat is more difficult to digest for any carnivore (esp dogs and other animals who can't rub two sticks together to make a fire :thumbsup:) and grain is very difficult for them to digest.... how do you propose a dog would gather large amounts of grain for itself in the wild?

Based on my experience and my vets latest round of advice. Since I made the change she couldnt be doing better. Iv fed an all natural diet to my dogs in the past and that was fine but this is better.

Hey look anyway, cya later. Thats what I think, if you disagree carry on and give your own advice :thumbsup:

Dry food (kibble) takes longer to work through the dog's digestive system than meat. So if you feed meat and dry at the same meal, digestion will be slower. Therefore, if there is bacteria, salmonella etc in the meat, because it is in the gut longer, there is more chance of the dog having a problem with it, than if the meat was fed by itself, as it would be digested before any bugs had time to take effect.

This is not very likely to happen, but more likely to happen if you feed dry and meat at the same time.

Or so it is said.

I think the best dry food for your puppy is the one your puppy likes & will eat.

They all prefer meat but a little dry is good & can be convenient when you go out or its so hot you dont want to leave meat around etc.

Each has their own preference & advertising makes it all so confusing, everyone wants to sell their product & states it is the best.

My small dogs have a big fresh feed in the morning & just graze at the mixture of dry I leave down later. They dont like the teeth cleaning ones so much so I mix just a few in with others.

Variety makes them less fussy too.

My cats love Hills Science diet but I found it made the dogs constipated,too concentrated I guess.

IMO a diet based mainly on high quality kibble is the best sort.

Based on what Cal? Your dog might be doing well on high quality kibble but how do you know it wouldn't be doing better on natural food?

Dogs haven't evolved in the past fifty years or so since kibble was produced, how do you think they cope with cooked meat + grain? Cooked meat is more difficult to digest for any carnivore (esp dogs and other animals who can't rub two sticks together to make a fire :rolleyes:) and grain is very difficult for them to digest.... how do you propose a dog would gather large amounts of grain for itself in the wild?

Exactly! :laugh: Dogs evolved to eat raw diets... not powdered substances put into a oven and baked...

And as far as eukanaba.... if i were feeding my dog kibble it would be a grain free (such as artimes/ eukanaba) or quality grain feed (such as Innova: but wouldn't touch the stuff unless i could be it from somewere else other than hell)... Dogs aren't ment to be eating corn with some traces of meat by product... they're bodies are designed to eat raw meat! :(

Then again i geuss it's what your dog does best on... :rolleyes:

Edited by Joshua

I'm feeding my little guy a mixture of raw and dry (orijen) ...

IMO raw is great, you should give it to your pup and see how they respond... Grizzly goes nuts for it! :D

Martha gets exactly the same. Believe it or not, she actually seems to prefer the Orijen to the raw.

Our pups are on Eagle Pack + Raw... But I'm switching over to Orijen + raw to give it a go. I'm going to swap them over to a BARF diet once I find a supplier I'm happy with.

I agree with the others though - just find a food that your dog does well on. Some dogs do better on one brand, others do better on another brand. It's just a matter of giving them a shot and seeing what works.

• 2 weeks later...