Dettol

belgavin

I've used it a bit before in the past - I just splash some diluted Dettol onto my JRT's dew claw when they get caught on something and there's any blood. Everytime I do so he ends up sitting down and licking his paw for a while, I think he likes the taste because most of the time he doesn't think to lick the claw until the antiseptic is applied. I know that there are no doubt other recommended creams or liquids out there to use on pet wounds but am I risking poisoning him by doing this? I use a very diluted small amount

You beat me to it settrlvr. I have a big spray bottle of betadine which I use for cuts and scrapes. Doesn't taste very nice! It does leave yellow foot prints though so use it outside. :confused:

Betadine is fantastic at killing bugs. We used it all the time when I was a nurse.

ok thanks for the advice. I know Dettol probably kills the bugs well but I'm worried now I could make him sick by using it earlier this afternoon. He sat down and licked his paw for ages after I splashed some on. I thought he'd the smell but apparently he likes it. Unless he actually doesn't like it and wants to lick it off!

Dettol is not great for tissue repair and it can cause ulceration of the mouth if it is ingested, even if diluted.

Warm salty water is a great alternative for cleaning wounds, then follow up with betadine as others have said (in whatever form you have - ointment, liquid, spray etc).

Dettol and dogs don't mix. Dettol has been known to kill dogs.

really? I understand if it isn't good for a dog but dying from it sounds a bit extreme, unless a dog ingested a whole lot. I've even mentioned to the vet in the past that I've used dettol for his dew claw problems and he said that's fine.

:laugh:

you could always get the dew claws removed, if accidents occur regularly....

isn't that a pretty major operation? The vet put him to sleep once to cut one right back to the bone; that kept it from growing back for a good 8 months. He told me if they needed to be taken out completely he'd have to cut much farther into the leg and it'd be an expensive exercise plus take a lot longer to heal. I wish it was done when he was a pup but too late now. I suppose if they keep being a problem then permanent removal might be the only answer

Calendula tincture is the best thing out for bathing wounds as it helps stop bleeding as well as having a soothing and antiseptic effect.

A few drops in a third of a glass of water is all you need. If a cut is bleeding badly, immerse it in the solution if you can or soak a makeup remover pad or similar in it and hold it over the cut for a few minutes. I have used it on bad knife cuts on myself and others to stop the bleeding very quickly, including a couple that really needed stitches - these healed well with the calendula tincture, then the calendula ointment and those butterfly thingies to hold them closed.

The good thing about calendula tincture, cream and ointment is that if the dog licks it all off the healing effect continues from within.