Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Baby Puppy Losing Hair - New Photo 6 Weeks - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Baby Puppy Losing Hair - New Photo 6 Weeks

#1 User is offline   MissMonaro 

• Breeder/Exhibitor/Obedience
  • State:QLD

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Just curious if anyone had had any experience with a baby puppy losing hair.

Pup is just over a week old and started with skin peeling from stomach and pads of feet. First thoughts were that the mother was over cleaning pup and left at that.

Since then hair has started falling out of pups stomach.

Taken to vets today. They did a scraping and found nothing.

Mother has been on antibiotics from c-section and has just finished - so vet wants to wait and see if it improves now before we look at putting pup on any antiobiotics.

Vet also said that the pup was a bit distressed when they went in to get it out, so could be from that - but I'm not so sure thats the reason.

All bedding has been changed, whelping box cleaned again - just in case its an allergy to something that has been washed.

But I was just curious if anyone has ever seen anything like this before ?? I certainly havent.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

This post has been edited by MissMonaro: 21 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

#2 User is offline   mikelli 

• Forum Regular

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

No sorry I have not had this happen. I hope she is OK. It is a worry. My first thought would have been mum over cleaning
her....

#3 User is offline   Lab lady 

• Forum Regular

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

Hi MissMunroe,

Is the pup on wet towels? Just a thought if she is then it may be from being on a moist surface making the skin softer and with mums licking aggravating it. Mine seem to prefer to lie on the tiles and don't seem to like the wet towel.

I never come across this before so i really can't be much help...sorry

#4 User is offline   Joan of Arc 

• Joan of Arc

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thats a new one for me also but if the pup was a human baby and born like that I would be tempted to say that he was overcooked - a late baby.

#5 User is offline   cowanbree 

• Breeder

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

I have had this happen once in one of my earlier litters and concluded that the puppy hadn't been washed properly and the birth fluids were causing irritation. Had hair falling out in patches but soon came right

#6 User is offline   MissMonaro 

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone.

She is bald all on her underside. As if she has crawled over a bowl of Nair hair removal - that was why I changed the bedding etc.

No wet towels either - although have to say that my last litter did love to sleep on the cool mat that I had. I have a fibreglass whelping box and she does like to lie on that if she moves the bedding out of the way. But that was cleaned with disenfectant after the last litter...and its the same type I've used for ages.

Hopefully once she gets up on her feet might help as well.

#7 User is offline   ellz 

• Forum Regular
  • State:TAS

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:16 PM

Isn't Herpes Virus is it? I believe hair loss can be a symptom and it is also a leading cause of Fading Puppy Syndrome.

#8 User is offline   Patters 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

A 'strep'/'staf' infection? 13 years ago, I had a tonsilitis infection (diagnosed Strep....cocous - can't spell). Fat healthy puppies born, Day 4 woke up to biggest puppy dead and 4 (out of nine) sick. Antibiotics immediately!!! The sickest and littlest lost hair on tail, back legs and belly. Within 3 days, all were recovering! The little one never regrew the hair in patches on the back of his legs, but his tail and belly came back fine. This puppy is still alive today and has had no health issues, the other 3 also recovered totally.

I have been told that my infection couldn't cross to the dogs - but I don't believe this. I have never had any infection in my dogs or puppies proir to this, or since.

#9 User is offline   MissMonaro 

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:08 PM

ohhh now I am getting a bit concerned :thumbsup:

#10 User is offline   ellz 

• Forum Regular
  • State:TAS

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

If mum is on antibiotics, they will get them through her milk. I'd also consider supplementing them (and her) on Manuka Honey and plain yoghurt to help with the flora levels in their tums.

#11 User is offline   MissMonaro 

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

Ellz the mother is now off the antibiotics as of yesterday.

The pup is an only child....and is only just 11 days old today. Her eyes arent even open yet.

I can feed the mum on some manuka honey if she'll take it. She is already getting plain yoghurt with her food.

#12 User is offline   fbc 

• Forum Regular

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

Sorry MM, no help here but I am thinking of you as both our pups are almost the same age.
I cant wait till they are 3/4 weeks :rainbowbridge:

#13 User is offline   MissMonaro 

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that the puppy is now 2 1/2 weeks old. Eyes are open and she is up walking. Hears sounds. Started to wag her tail....and growl also.

The update on the hair though......it has started to grow back. Well okay she now has hair where she should have hair. Its not as long as the hair on her back yet...but at least she isnt bald.

The only thing is ....the hair is grey/silver. I am thinking it is just the undercoat and the black hair will come through as it grows.

This certainly has been something that I have not encountered before and I do have to say that with each litter I have, there always seems to be something new that crops up.

I have some photos and will post them later. But at present she is looking like a 2 tone labrador. Black on top...grey from about half way down her body, face and down her legs...and her feet have black hair on them.

#14 User is offline   Lab lady 

• Forum Regular

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

I was only thinking this morning about your pup. Glad to hear the hair is growing back, strange that it's a different colour. You could start a new trend :thumbsup:

Would you believe i have had about 3 calls this week wanting silver labs.....maybe i could send them your way :thumbsup:

#15 User is offline   MissMonaro 

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Would you believe i have had about 3 calls this week wanting silver labs.....maybe i could send them your way

Tell them not a full silver.....but u might be able to find them a black and silver lab..... :thumbsup:

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions