"give Me Space" Vest

I can come to your training sessions :cry:

I yell VERY loudly, - Do Not touch the dog it is working

Or - BACK OFF we are working.

Or - Leave the BLOODY dog alone.

I know I should be in Human Relations!

I think I might make a vest (for the dog)that says I am working GO AWAY.

Put a muzzle on her and I guarantee no one will come within ten feet :( Pretty silly when you think that a muzzled dog is probably safer to pat/bring your dog near than a dog wearing a warning vest. :cry:

I had a Rotti/Dane X who had to be muzzled and people gave us the widest berth. Yet I had another dog at training with a large, fluoro collar tag and people took no notice.

I guess people have preconceived ideas about what is 'safe' or not. :eek:

I can come to your training sessions :p

I yell VERY loudly, - Do Not touch the dog it is working

Or - BACK OFF we are working.

Or - Leave the BLOODY dog alone.

I know I should be in Human Relations!

I think I might make a vest (for the dog)that says I am working GO AWAY.

:( Me too. New people come with their lovely happy friendly outrageous bundles of joy, start walking toward me and Monah and I have to yell Keep Away!! of course that doesnt' work because their dogs love other dogs :cry: and are very friendly :D and I'm not to worry about it. :eek:

Yes you minga, but mine doesn't take kindly to the advances of strangers!!!!!!!! BACK OFF!

Put a muzzle on her and I guarantee no one will come within ten feet :( Pretty silly when you think that a muzzled dog is probably safer to pat/bring your dog near than a dog wearing a warning vest. :laugh:

I had a Rotti/Dane X who had to be muzzled and people gave us the widest berth. Yet I had another dog at training with a large, fluoro collar tag and people took no notice.

I guess people have preconceived ideas about what is 'safe' or not. :o

I had the same reaction when I muzzled my gsd at training,no one wanted to even stand next to us :wave:

If you use a wire muzzle you still will be able to use treats,it's a little tricky but can be done and does make you feel a lot more at ease especiallyif you need to do recalls and off lead work

The give me space vests do nothing, i had 2 and as others have said, i still had people run up to us at training, FFS, i wanted one that just said F Off, but i wasnt allowed (yes, i did ask)

Good luck, people dont care

I had someone telling me how cute it is how kaos growls at other dogs, i asked her did she realise that she was growling because she wanted to kill her dog?

She thought Kaos was just talking :thumbsup:

Put a muzzle on her and I guarantee no one will come within ten feet :) Pretty silly when you think that a muzzled dog is probably safer to pat/bring your dog near than a dog wearing a warning vest. :thumbsup:

I guess people have preconceived ideas about what is 'safe' or not. :)

I had the same reaction when I muzzled my gsd at training,no one wanted to even stand next to us :p

If you use a wire muzzle you still will be able to use treats,it's a little tricky but can be done and does make you feel a lot more at ease especiallyif you need to do recalls and off lead work

Have you tried one of the squeeze food tubes like the ones on Clean Run when using a muzzle? I haven't used one so can't say what they're like but have heard of them being used with dogs wearing muzzles to deliver food treats.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ing=food%20tube

Sorry don't know how to make a short link!

I would've loved one that said "f*** off, we're working" when I was training with Zero! So many people would bring their dogs close to him because he's a "snow dog" and I just wanted to scream at them.

i needed one that said - "seen snow dogs? remember the agressive husky? that's nothing compared to my dog! Seriously. Back the f*** off!"

Good luck Ruthless!

Yup, muzzle seems to do the trick.

I used to muzzle Rex on a rare occasion and nobody came anywhere near us. It was great LOL

I find it strange - in Australia muzzle is something evil, where I come from many dogs run around muzzled. the law is the dog must be on lead or if off lead must be muzzled. Muzzles dont worry me at the slightest, others here are horified by them!

Ruthless - remember in case fight breaks out back legs grab and swing in the air is your friend ;-) Remember when I did it? It was pretty spectacular :eek: I got an applause :)

Shell - just out of interest, you have written many times that Zero was very agro, and I can see you have done a wonderful job with him, which is to be applauded! :cheer:

Can you tell me - PM is fine - did you separate many dog fights that he was involved in? Has he caused injuries to other dogs? Did he seek fights or was he only defending himself when some dog run up to him?

Again well done, the speedy recovery is great to see.

Love the the Tshirt ideas LukeW, i think you need to go into business :). Elvis needs a vest that say's "Unless your a Poodle p**s off".

Edited by Clover

Shell - just out of interest, you have written many times that Zero was very agro, and I can see you have done a wonderful job with him, which is to be applauded! :swear:

Can you tell me - PM is fine - did you separate many dog fights that he was involved in? Has he caused injuries to other dogs? Did he seek fights or was he only defending himself when some dog run up to him?

Again well done, the speedy recovery is great to see.

Thanks!

Zero's a bit of a strange case because he used to be very very fearful of anything, but the more confident he got, the worse his dog aggression got. The fear took about a year to over come so that was when the worst of the dog aggression started and once he'd had that kind of reaction to other dogs a few times, the distance he would react at got bigger and bigger to the point where he just had to see something that looked like a dog and he would go off.

He wasn't involved in any dog fights that weren't with a dog on the loose (i was very careful about taking him out) - it happened twice, with 2 separate dogs, both border collies, and both times i had to break up the fight. He didn't do any damage to the border collies out on the street other than the mouth full of hair he got both times (when he went for the neck and got their neck hair instead) so we were very lucky. He on the other hand ended up with puncture wounds both times and that just made it worse.

I've seen both of those BCs since and neither of them seem to have a DA problem - I think at the time they came up wanting to play and copped the full force of Zero's DA. He would seek out fights and if i walked on the opposite side of the road with him, he would try and pull me across the street to get to the other dog, even if it wasn't even looking at him. I was able to stop him when i first got him but once he had gained some muscle, he could pull me out onto the road, and i pretty much stopped walking him or taking him anywhere after that. That's when I called k9 Force, about 18 months after I got him and 8 weeks after that, we were able to start group obedience training because he was that much better. :)