Please Report Pesticide Toxicity To....

kendall

Guest belgian.blue

Brilliant idea!

Never had it happen to any of my pets as I've refused to have it in my house tho ages ago my ex was determined to buy snail bait as the packet said 'pet safe' :rofl:

I put my foot down and it worked.

It's not just that. Read all the ingredients on dog products you buy unless they say "secret formula" :rolleyes: , then god only knows what's in the product. I have been looking at an organic pet shampoo. It contained cocoa butter. I would never use cocoa butter on a dog. Same goes for citrus extracts for dogs that spend most of their time outdoors. I test the pH of dog shampoos I buy and some don't even have the correct pH for a dogs coat. I make my own skin products so I'm going to make it for my dogs now. I don't want SLS's, parabens, artificial colours, DEA's, TEA's, Mea's and petrolatums in my own products and I don't want it on my dogs.

The industry for human cosmetics/toiletries isn't regulated enough so it would be common sense to suggest that dog products would be even less regulated.

In humans : 50 yrs ago we had a 1 in 100 chance of getting some form of cancer. Now we have a 1 in 5 chance (source= National Cancer Institute). Asthma has increased 58% in ten years (source= National Institue of Health). The auto-immune diseases have increased substantially. I believe it's the onslaught of synthetics we use and consume (preservatives). A study found more than 350 synthetic chemicals inhuman breast milk (source= Women's Environmental Network).

Why wouldn't this hold true for dogs? Auto-immune diseases have been linked to inbreeding (they use the old mathematical of COI to calculate). Instead of blaming line or inbreeding for the increased auto-immune disorders in the dogs. Did the researchers even think about all the synthetic chemicals in the environment rather than 100% blame breeding programs? Synthetics are in most dog foods, it's in dog grooming products, it's in any product that is imported from oversea's. Products get blasted with pesticides by AQIS before they can released. Dams can pass the synthetic chemicals onto their puppies (just like humans do).

Oh wow I went way off tangent there. But it is an issue I have close to my heart and wish to share it. I hope it gets people thinking outside the box. :laugh:

It's not just that. Read all the ingredients on dog products you buy unless they say "secret formula" :rolleyes: , then god only knows what's in the product. I have been looking at an organic pet shampoo. It contained cocoa butter. I would never use cocoa butter on a dog. Same goes for citrus extracts for dogs that spend most of their time outdoors. I test the pH of dog shampoos I buy and some don't even have the correct pH for a dogs coat. I make my own skin products so I'm going to make it for my dogs now. I don't want SLS's, parabens, artificial colours, DEA's, TEA's, Mea's and petrolatums in my own products and I don't want it on my dogs.

The industry for human cosmetics/toiletries isn't regulated enough so it would be common sense to suggest that dog products would be even less regulated.

In humans : 50 yrs ago we had a 1 in 100 chance of getting some form of cancer. Now we have a 1 in 5 chance (source= National Cancer Institute). Asthma has increased 58% in ten years (source= National Institue of Health). The auto-immune diseases have increased substantially. I believe it's the onslaught of synthetics we use and consume (preservatives). A study found more than 350 synthetic chemicals inhuman breast milk (source= Women's Environmental Network).

Why wouldn't this hold true for dogs? Auto-immune diseases have been linked to inbreeding (they use the old mathematical of COI to calculate). Instead of blaming line or inbreeding for the increased auto-immune disorders in the dogs. Did the researchers even think about all the synthetic chemicals in the environment rather than 100% blame breeding programs? Synthetics are in most dog foods, it's in dog grooming products, it's in any product that is imported from oversea's. Products get blasted with pesticides by AQIS before they can released. Dams can pass the synthetic chemicals onto their puppies (just like humans do).

Oh wow I went way off tangent there. But it is an issue I have close to my heart and wish to share it. I hope it gets people thinking outside the box. :laugh:

That is REALLY interesting...and very scary!!

Guest belgian.blue

Agree all the way!

I amuse myself reading the small print on anything in a package.

Reading through many dog treats they make me feel seriously ill that people actually spend money in this rubbish .. because they have no idea. I want a new shampoo for Ivy but everything I've seen is shite and I won't buy it.

Possibly the reason there are statistically more reported cases of cancer is due to a greater awareness of the need to screen. Also screening techniques today as opposed to 50 years ago would have changed dramatically. Our diets and lifestyle has changed (ie we eat more and exercise less), more stress etc etc.

I'm just saying....that's all. :laugh:

People die of cancer, it's recorded. If they didn't get screened for cancer, ended up with mets and subsequently died from that cancer, well that death is recorded as cancer. The statistics are there and yes that was my point about how the world we live in has changed.

It doesn't matter whether you are screened or not, the chances of getting cancer are higher than 50 yrs ago. That is a fact. Screening increases the chance of early detection and has nothing to do with rates.

I'm just saying :laugh:

People die of cancer, it's recorded. If they didn't get screened for cancer, ended up with mets and subsequently died from that cancer, well that death is recorded as cancer. The statistics are there and yes that was my point about how the world we live in has changed.

It doesn't matter whether you are screened or not, the chances of getting cancer are higher than 50 yrs ago. That is a fact. Screening increases the chance of early detection and has nothing to do with rates.

I'm just saying :whiteflag:

Great thread for lodging data on actual cases of adverse reactions to chemicals/products etc.

But do we really need another "everything is going to kill us" post.

Ps Virbac make a range of shampoos that are PH correct for dogs (available from your vet).

I haven't read the entire ingredient list so I'm not sure there isn't some type of carcinogen in it. I'm sure you'll point it out to me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Im not sure if this is the posting place (confused by prev replies) anyway I was wanting to post about the product Advantix. A fellow breeder of poodles used this product on her three dogs. All had a reaction. Minor symptoms were general unwellness and the dogs feeling like "they had ants crawling all over their body". One of the dogs even suffered a burn reaction to the application area. The manufacterer was contacted...they offered reimbursement for product. Apparently general opinion is swf are prone to such a reaction to this product. Interesting but I believe it must be more widespread.

If this is the wrong thread pls move to appropriate thread.

post-25842-1248848320_thumb.jpg Damage & hair loss

Regrowth (very slow and not healthy)

post-25842-1248821505_thumb.jpg

Edited by redangel

• 5 months later...

Bumping to remind people about reporting adverse affects.

redangel - sorry I missed your post. What a terrible reaction :) It might be worth your friend also reporting the issue through the site mentioned - not just to the manufacturer.

Edited by kendall

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think this service (subset of general forum) is functioning well. Toxicity and the question of 'what kills you in the long term' are very different quesions. My parent both lived to 75 yrs plus, and both died of cancer. If they had died at 60 yrs, the cause of death would have been different. It would be better if this section of the forum was used to report acute toxicity. Eg, my dog had fits after applying such-and-such a drug or pesticide.

That is REALLY interesting...and very scary!!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...