How Can I Teach.....

Heidii

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my pup learning shy.. I made a how-to video

And the finished product

Firstly, that's about the most adorable thing I've *ever* seen. Im totally going to try teaching my staffy, Dexter, that tonight!

Second tho, I read another way to do it is to put something like a lead or some such over the dog's face, and as they wipe it off to give the command and reward... That said, the peg method looks WAY cuter

Here's my pup learning shy.. I made a how-to video

And the finished product

Firstly, that's about the most adorable thing I've *ever* seen. Im totally going to try teaching my staffy, Dexter, that tonight!

Second tho, I read another way to do it is to put something like a lead or some such over the dog's face, and as they wipe it off to give the command and reward... That said, the peg method looks WAY cuter

LOL yup, anything on their face (I suggested in the video, sticky tape or peanut butter) will work! The peg only works with long haired dogs, so I don't think I would try it on your staffy!!!!! Ouch!

Terranik, thank you so much for that video! I just spent the last 30mins teaching my pup that trick. Initially he thought it had something to do with the clothes peg so when I took it off, he went looking for the peg! Finally he got the association of putting his paws to his nose. But I think mine ended up more like nose rubbing rather than acting shy! And I go so tired of saying the word "shy" so many times I ended up just doing the action without any verbal command hehehe.

Don't worry if it looks like nose rubbing at the moment... You can adjust the behaviour to how you want it to look - just shape it. If you want him to hold his paw there longer, don't C&T so early.. You could try and wait it out (no C&T until you get a slightly longer behaviour) -- he might get frustrated and try it for longer... And then jack pot! Just fiddle around with it!

Glad you liked the video!

LOL yup, anything on their face (I suggested in the video, sticky tape or peanut butter) will work! The peg only works with long haired dogs, so I don't think I would try it on your staffy!!!!! Ouch!
The boy's so thick skinned, he wouldn't notice! Hahaha
Not sure how we actually taught it but he does it when we ask "who farted" .....
Ahhhhhahahahahaha i think i found my queue word!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It took me a little while to teach this to Spencer. I tried sticking a bit of masking tape on his snout, but he didn't care. I even tried an old hair scrunchie around his muzzle..not too fussed about that either. So finally I discovered that blowing gently on his nose triggered the paw swipe.

The end result is pretty damn cute!

C.jpg

It took me a little while to teach this to Spencer. I tried sticking a bit of masking tape on his snout, but he didn't care. I even tried an old hair scrunchie around his muzzle..not too fussed about that either. So finally I discovered that blowing gently on his nose triggered the paw swipe.

The end result is pretty damn cute!

Awww, cute! I've tried blowing on Satch's nose too, he gets up and walks away!

• 1 month later...

hahahahhah thats sooooo cute (and very very funny!!!) :laugh:

Thanks i am going to try with Teddy tomorow. I don't think i will have as much luck as ahsoka... teddy is still pretty hyper during commands

I tried this with teddy today but his hair was too short so the peg wouldn't stay on. I then used an elastic band and it works well! so those with short hair could give this a try.

He has not quite got the shy concept, when i take the elastic band off, he thinks i just want him to touch my hand so his paws doesn't reach his muzzle... did you have the same problem TerraNik when you first started with ahsoka?

• 2 weeks later...