How Can I Teach.....

Heidii

He has not quite got the shy concept, when i take the elastic band off, he thinks i just want him to touch my hand so his paws doesn't reach his muzzle... did you have the same problem TerraNik when you first started with ahsoka?

How are things going after our PMs?

Thanks to the advice in here Iz is picking this up. Word is 'you stink' and action is holding my nose. I may be bias, but I think the overall effect has a whole heap of cuteness :laugh:

That sounds VERY cute indeed!!!!! :eek:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Alas, this didn't work for us. At night, when he's lying down - Elbie does little 'shy' motions that we call peekaboo but despite saying good boy the second he does it and trying to reward him, we haven't been able to get him to do it on command.

He has short hair so the peg wouldn't work and his fur is very shiny so tape and stickers all fall off him - in any case, he doesn't seem to notice their existence :D

He adores peanut butter but he didn't even seem to notice the dab on his face. Photographic proof below.

shy.jpg

He tried to beg, shake hands, do a high five in order to please us but just couldn't catch on that we wanted him to do a 'shy'/peekaboo gesture ...

Edited by koalathebear

You could always tie something loosely to his ear? like a ribbon? Let it dangle over his face

We're having a degree of success with getting tape, making a loop and sticking it above his nose where there's less fur :) He's making some progress - will post a video when he finally succeeds :o

Finally, a degree of success. Elbie's still doing it a bit fast but he is doing the "are you shy" gesture in response to a verbal command. We will work on getting him to cover his eyes more and keep his paw there longer.

We are still having difficulty getting him to crawl because he just wants to leap to his feet and chase after the food rather than crawl along.

Edited by koalathebear

We are still having difficulty getting him to crawl because he just wants to leap to his feet and chase after the food rather than crawl along.

He shouldn't be able to chase the food because it should be right in front of his nose, get him to drop & then crawl underneath something ie depending on how big he is, something like the rungs on a chair, or your leg when you are sitting on the ground with one foot flat on the ground etc.

He shouldn't be able to chase the food because it should be right in front of his nose, get him to drop & then crawl underneath something ie depending on how big he is, something like the rungs on a chair, or your leg when you are sitting on the ground with one foot flat on the ground etc.

Thank you! That's a great idea! He likes to leap over things (he's so kelpie :) ) but we have seen him crawling under chair rungs and the stool so that might just work :thumbsup: The funniest thing is that while he's doing all these complicated things - we just cannot get him to do a simple 'stand' and a 'stay' even though he will 'wait' forever when there's food on the line.

ETA: Here is

of "Crawling Training". Thank again for the tip. We'll keep working at it :thumbsup: Edited by koalathebear

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

God, I've really been struggling with this one!

The only way I can get the movement is to have a ribboon looped around her ears and then dangling in her face.

I started putting the hand signal on it after a few sessions, and I thought all was going ok... but now when i tried without the ribbon, she has no idea and ends up offering every trick shes got LOL

So i'm, guessing she's associating the ribbon and maybe thinks the command is "bat the ribbon away"???

any ideas?

I've tried smearing food on her face and putting sticky tape on it as well, but hasn't wokred

HAHAHAH that video is soo darn cute!

GOING TO SHARE THAT WITH A FEW FAMILY MEMBERS !

off to try that now with short hair dog so off to find dangly things,

you can get your dog to crawl by having he laying down and zig zaging the food a bit so his head follows the food and one paw at a time he follows it!

HAHAHAH that video is soo darn cute!

GOING TO SHARE THAT WITH A FEW FAMILY MEMBERS !

off to try that now with short hair dog so off to find dangly things,

you can get your dog to crawl by having he laying down and zig zaging the food a bit so his head follows the food and one paw at a time he follows it!

Dangling things didn't work so much for us but if you see here at the 3.13 mark, Elbie's getting pretty good at it. It took us about 3 different types of sticky tape, though before we could find one that actually stuck on his fur!!!

Elbie is one cute pup. Well done to you for teaching all those tricks. Have you thought of doing DWD with him?

Thank you! We love him a lot and while he is very food-motivated, he seems to enjoy training/doing tricks for the sake of it, so that makes it a lot of fun. He seems to love obedience class.

I love the concept of doing DWD but neither my husband nor I would fancy dancing around in the ring with him wearing a silly outfit.

At this stage we're hoping that one day he'll be suitable for agility ...

Elbie is one cute pup. Well done to you for teaching all those tricks. Have you thought of doing DWD with him?

Thank you! We love him a lot and while he is very food-motivated, he seems to enjoy training/doing tricks for the sake of it, so that makes it a lot of fun. He seems to love obedience class.

I love the concept of doing DWD but neither my husband nor I would fancy dancing around in the ring with him wearing a silly outfit.

At this stage we're hoping that one day he'll be suitable for agility ...

he'd be great at agility, he is such a clever little fella :love:

• 1 month later...

Elbie is very good at "are you shy?" I've been teaching Hoover the trick but have hit a bit of a strange stumbling block ...

Hoover does a beautiful 'are you shy' when I put tape on his face but he is clearly associating the action with the sticky tape rather than the voice prompt. As soon as he sees me bring out the sticky tape, he goes into a drop position in preparation of the trick.

I have been trying to pretend to put the tape on his face so that he does the action but he's such an alert little doggy that as soon as he realises he doesn't have tape on his face, he either doesn't do the gesture or just taps the ground a little. I only get the 'full' are you shy action if he actually has tape on his face. Any ideas on how to phase out the tape?

of Hoover doing 'shy' with tape.