Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

I honestly think someone should change the title

Show Ring Faq looks like show ring fag

Maybe Show Ring F.A.Q

J

:hug:

Etiquette question: is it acceptable to ring a show secretary in the days leading up to the show and ask how many dogs of your breed are entered? Or is that considered totally unacceptable and rude? It's something that I only just thought of today, and I have been wondering about it...

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe Show Ring F.A.Q

J

:o

Agreed!! I have thought this the whole time! Even though i frequent this thread often, i still get a little suprised by what the title is and go :( show ring fag?! And then i work it out and remember how many times i've already done that :hug:

Edited by Bindii

Etiquette question: is it acceptable to ring a show secretary in the days leading up to the show and ask how many dogs of your breed are entered? Or is that considered totally unacceptable and rude? It's something that I only just thought of today, and I have been wondering about it...

In Tasmania when they get their numbers back they also get a break down of how many of each breed is in the group...is this another one of those things that could be National if we had a truly National ANKC?

In Tasmania when they get their numbers back they also get a break down of how many of each breed is in the group...is this another one of those things that could be National if we had a truly National ANKC?

I wish we had that up here in QLD.

Sounds like it is only in Tas cos we dont have it in Vic. :o

I think I've heard of some shows in NSW doing it also, but not 100% sure on that :hug:

Does anyone know the answer to my original question?

You can always ask, presumably they'd have done a breakdown after the close of entries to work out some form of a timetable.

And yes, it's standard in Tasmania to receive a breakdown of entries with your numbers. But we also have to post SSAE with ALL entries anyway, some States don't do that.

And also yes, some shows in NSW do it as well.

Maybe Show Ring F.A.Q

:D

Agreed!! I have thought this the whole time! Even though i frequent this thread often, i still get a little suprised by what the title is and go :D show ring fag?! And then i work it out and remember how many times i've already done that :provoke:

Edit: If you put an acronym in caps in a subject line it is auto-corrected to put everything but the first letter in lower case.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

NULL AWARDING and REFUSING CHALLENGE - what are these, and what is the difference between them?

Dogs can be refused challenge, or be null awarded.

If a dog is refused challenge, it doesn't get any points, but can still go on to compete for class in group etc.

If a dog is null awarded, it can not participate further in that show.

For example .... say 'Joey' is the only Labrador entered in the show, and he is in Puppy. He is awarded Puppy of Breed, but if he is then refused challenge, he doesn't get Dog Challenge, nor BOB, despite being the only Labrador entered. He is allowed to compete for Puppy in Group though, as he was awarded Puppy of Breed. An example of when a challenge may be refused is when the judge believes the dog to be too young.

In the case of being null awarded, Joey would not be awarded Puppy of Breed and hence would not be eligible for Challenge or BOB. Plus, he would not be able to compete for Puppy in Group. The reasons for dogs being null awarded can be varied, and sometimes in contradiction to the standard! (I assume in cases where the judge misinterprets the standard). Reasons I have heard for null awarding dogs are: dog too small, dog too big, dog not 'typey' enough, dog is lacking coat, dog not able to be judged.

A judge may elect to inform an exhibitor that she/he intends to null award a dog and give the exhibitor the opportunity to withdraw the dog from competion instead of being null awarded.

A null award or a refused challenge only affects the results of that one show.

In some other countries, dogs can be disqualified. In the US (?) dogs may not compete for titles after three disqualifications for the same reason. We dont have disqualifications in Australia, despite some of our standards referring to "disqualifying faults".

Edited: for missing 'n's an s's

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

I think I put this one in the wrong section, I ment to put it here :cry:

This section is great.

I am a new member that has done a couple of shows.

I have realised no one in my club will help you.

I have my mother inn laws bitch that i am taking in for the first time.

She still has boobs. Is this Ok in the ring?

When my mother inn law died my f/ inn law had her groomed

but her hair is growing. I have her now.

Ive been trying different shampoos, conditioners and just trying to groom her properly.

It's fun for me. The showing.

It gets me out and helps me remember my mother inn law.

Thank you again for the thread It's great

Two questions from me :heart:

So the correct way to enter sweepstakes on a NSW entry form is?

Oh and I have entered a show in 2 weeks time using oz entries, and I want to enter sweepstakes now as Tobes needs more practice with other dogs in the ring with him. So, oz entries wont let me because I am not entering a breed class at the same time. Do I ring the show sec and arrange it with him/her? I dont want to bother them uneccesarily as I understand it must be a tedious and often thankless job.

Bec

Oh and I have entered a show in 2 weeks time using oz entries, and I want to enter sweepstakes now as Tobes needs more practice with other dogs in the ring with him. So, oz entries wont let me because I am not entering a breed class at the same time. Do I ring the show sec and arrange it with him/her? I dont want to bother them uneccesarily as I understand it must be a tedious and often thankless job.

Bec

I would just ring them and ask, have entries closed by mail? If they haven't, mail it in :heart:

Newbie question- should i have received my exhibitors number by now for a show that's next Saturday?

So because no one else could answer, i answered myself! :thumbsup:

I called the secretary today who says that my entry is in, and my envelope should have absoloutely arrived by now, so it must have gotten lost in the mail... Boo! anyway so i have to collect it on the day.

So for newbies - yes, your number should have arrived by a week before the show.

Newbie question- should i have received my exhibitors number by now for a show that's next Saturday?

So because no one else could answer, i answered myself! :thumbsup:

I called the secretary today who says that my entry is in, and my envelope should have absoloutely arrived by now, so it must have gotten lost in the mail... Boo! anyway so i have to collect it on the day.

So for newbies - yes, your number should have arrived by a week before the show.

Mine usually arrive on the Monday or Tuesday before a show. I've not had any a full week prior.

• Troy unpinned this topic