Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For my last few shows I haven't got the numbers until the day before, but for the show this Saturday I received it a week ago. I guess it depends on the number of entries they need to sort through.

Come on all you experienced showies. Lets help the newbies by putting stuff in here!

i've written an article on how to show dogs in my website as well, and its not only directed at chis but for all breeds as i;ve owned other breeds in my life.

but atm took out some pages to do with showing as i had 24 pages :thumbsup: which is quite a bit of work to maintain when you work f/t and have dogs, so i am now coupling them together. but i had classes on there too, and the point system etc.

how to show a dog in australia

Edited by toydogs

Ohh well there you go! Good to know it's okay to receive them later, but in this case she did say i should have already received it.

...but i wont stress too much if i haven't received them by this stage in future.

Had the same experience myself last weekend. Numbers hadn't arrived by the Wednesday prior to the show so I gave the secretary a quick call. Turns out they were late sending them out (our regs state you're supposed to receive them a minimum of 7 days prior to the show) but it was a good thing I rang anyway because they STILL haven't arrived (and the show was last Saturday).

No great drama, she confirmed I was entered and I picked up a new set of numbers from the office on the day! :rofl:

No great drama, she confirmed I was entered and I picked up a new set of numbers from the office on the day! :)

Yep yep that's what i'm doing! and she confirmed and everything so that's wonderful.

I was just super worried that my entries hadn't been accepted or something, because i hadn't trimmed my entry forms on that one either :)

Hello :) There is a possibility that I may want to start showing one day :laugh: I am planning on going back and reading through this thread, but in the meantime, is this a place where I can ask stoopid questions?

For example, I am looking at the show schedule for a show show that runs over two days. They have all the groups of dogs listed on the first day, and then again on the second day. Is the second day for the champion judging or something? Or do they just spread the different breeds in a group out over two days? If that is the case, is there any way that you can tell which breeds will be on which day?

The 2nd day is another show.

Iv'e never known an all breeds show to run over 2 days.

That may be the case in Victoria, but it happens here in Tasmania.

For example, the Burnie Ag Show this year has Groups 2, 3 and 5 scheduled for Friday and the balance with Specials on the Saturday.

I tried to cut and paste but the formatting wouldn't work, but it is the show below, maybe someone can explain what it means

ACT JUNIOR KENNEL CLUB INC

CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW

SATURDAY 5 & SUNDAY 6 September 2009

$$$$ CASH PRIZES $$$$

Exhibition Park, Federal Highway, Canberra

Classes to be judged: 1,2,3,4,5,10 and 11 (dogs and bitches)

Judging Commences: 9.00 am each day with all Sweepstakes and ACTCA Guineas

followed by Groups as per schedule, breeds in alphabetical order.

On Saturday they have listed

3-6 mth Sweepstakes

Utility

Non-Sporting Dogs

General Specials

6-12 mth Sweepstakes

Terriers

Working Dogs

Veterans Sweepstakes (7-10 years and 11+

years)Gundogs

Hounds

Toys

and on Sunday they have listed

6-12 mth Sweepstakes

Working Dogs

Terriers

3-6 mth Sweepstakes

Hounds

Non-Sporting Dogs

General Specials

Toys

Neuter Sweepstakes

Gundogs

Utility

The 2nd day is another show.

Iv'e never known an all breeds show to run over 2 days.

That may be the case in Victoria, but it happens here in Tasmania.

For example, the Burnie Ag Show this year has Groups 2, 3 and 5 scheduled for Friday and the balance with Specials on the Saturday.

How bizzare. Would be ok if you sucked the first day as you would not have to go back. :laugh:

But if you won the first day you have to go back for the 2nd day.

My comments in red.

ACT JUNIOR KENNEL CLUB INC

CHAMPIONSHIP SHOW

SATURDAY 5 & SUNDAY 6 September 2009

$$$$ CASH PRIZES $$$$

Exhibition Park, Federal Highway, Canberra

Classes to be judged: 1,2,3,4,5,10 and 11 (dogs and bitches)

Judging Commences: 9.00 am each day with all Sweepstakes and ACTCA Guineas

followed by Groups as per schedule, breeds in alphabetical order. judging kicks off with the sweeps/special class followed by Groups 1-7 (which is dogs judged by breed in the group they are allocated to) Greys and Whippets are Group 4.

On Saturday they have listed

3-6 mth Sweepstakes for any breed of pup aged 3-6 months.

Utility

Non-Sporting Dogs

General Specials judged after all the Group rings have finished this is all the dogs that have one Best in Group or another class in group, Best in Show and Classes in Show are General Specials

6-12 mth Sweepstakes for all breeds of dog aged between 6-12 months

Terriers

Working Dogs

Veterans Sweepstakes (7-10 years and 11+

years)Gundogs

Hounds

Toys

and on Sunday they have listed

6-12 mth Sweepstakes

Working Dogs

Terriers

3-6 mth Sweepstakes

Hounds

Non-Sporting Dogs

General Specials

Toys

Neuter Sweepstakes for any Main Register neutered dog of any breed

Gundogs

Utility

So its one show per day, two shows in total. Both at EPIC (Canberra Show ground) and the shows kick off at 9.00 am with sweepstakes followed by Group judging and General Specials at the end.

sorry if I am being dense, but why would you have two shows on the one weekend in the same location with pretty much the same categories?

Different judges so (hopefully) different opinions. Chance for more points and more fringies. No travelling between shows so people can set up, let their hair down and enjoy themselves.

sorry if I am being dense, but why would you have two shows on the one weekend in the same location with pretty much the same categories?

Double the chance for challenge points. Different judges. Having more than one show in the one place pulls more entries.

You've got two triple shows in Goulburn before the end of November. :laugh:

I will probably come to Canberra for at least one of the days, if not both. If I do only turn up on one day would it make any difference which day I went to? Eridor I will definitely look you up :laugh: and hopefully will be able to meet some other DOLers too!

PF I will keep my eyes open for the Goulburn shows, it will depend on what shifts I am working though as to whether I will be able to attend. Would love to meet Howie :)

I would like to learn more about showing to see if it is something I would like to try. Not right now, as I work most weekends, but hopefully within a few years I will be able to change my job and then it may be a possibility ;)

Edited by Daisy

each day should be much of a muchness daisy.

The goulburn shows are advertised in the nsw journal and you cant view that online without being a member. I can find my journal and give you dates if you like.

each day should be much of a muchness daisy.

The goulburn shows are advertised in the nsw journal and you cant view that online without being a member. I can find my journal and give you dates if you like.

maybe I should become a member!

slightly OT - but interesting that you can't even find out show dates without being a member, it relates to some of my comments in another thread about getting more members of the public interested in and involved in dog shows. Wouldn't it be great if the shows were advertised and promoted locally.

• Troy unpinned this topic