Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Show Ring F A Q - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Show Ring F A Q Put stuff in here to help newbies :)

#16 User is offline   Bokezu 

• Vizsla enthusiast
  • State:TAS

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:04 AM

Don't forget that you will need an exhibit number holder for your arm, you can buy one from the vendors at the show.
Be careful walking past all dogs in crates, some will lunge and scare the daylites out of your puppy, if puppy has a really bad scare will hate shows for evermore. If you win a challenge (best dog or bitch of your breed) means you have won some points and you need to go and collect your challenge certificate or BOB cert from the office afterwards, don't forget because it can be hard to collect them after that day and you need them when your dog gets to 100 for proof.
Don't forget to put a stamp self addressed envelope in with your show entries. There is a computer program to download your own entry forms its so much easier than writing them out all the time.

eta link for Entry forms Australia

This post has been edited by Bokezu: 23 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

#17 User is offline   darwinroyal 

• Show Slave
  • State:NT

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

Show Manager Contact Details do NOT mean 24/7 attention. Show Secretaries/Managers are usually volunteers and have a life.

The affiliate has entered into an agreement by advertising an event. The exhibitor has responsibilities to ensure they have correctly entered into the agreement by completing the entry form correctly.

Show Managers manage shows. They are not your mother. They are not responsible for you finding somewhere to sleep.

#18 User is offline   mortonplace 

• owned by dogs
  • State:VIC

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

How many classes can be entered on the day?
Example if lm in the puppy class can l enter minor puppy also?

#19 User is offline   Bokezu 

• Vizsla enthusiast
  • State:TAS

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

No, you can only enter one class per dog :)

#20 User is online   cassie 

• Proud mum of 2 Giant Fluffies!

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

This information is helpful, good topic :) I had asked some other questions in another thread in The Show Ring but just noticed this thread so I might keep the questions in here from now on.

Can someone please explain what Sweepstakes are? I've heard people say "He came fourth in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes" or similar, what is this?

Also (thanks to another thread!) I have just worked out all the classes, and what winning them means, etc. When it comes to the Group judging, they have classes again, is that right? So you get Baby Puppy of Group, Puppy of Group, Junior of Group, etc...? Then out of all THOSE winners do they choose an overall Best In Group? Same goes for Best In Show? Or have I got this bit totally wrong... :)

#21 User is offline   RoxyNHemi 

• Forum Regular
  • State:WA

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

View PostBokezu, on 28th Apr 2009 - 08:37 PM, said:

No, you can only enter one class per dog :)

You can actually enter multiple of classes, but if you are awarded 2nd in one, you are automatically disqualified from the others as you are a second place getter.

I know one person who once entered her dog in state and open, there were 3 dogs in state and she was the only one in open, because she entered both, she had to participate in both, she got awarded 2nd in state, which meant she was already a beaten dog, and couldnt go in both.

IMO - Its a waste of money.

When it comes down to choosing if you want to enter your dog in Minor or Puppy, i go on maturity. If I have a very mature 8 month old, I may put it up to Puppy. But you must remember some dogs in puppy are almost 12 months.

#22 User is offline   RoxyNHemi 

• Forum Regular

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

View Postcassie, on 12th May 2009 - 02:50 PM, said:

This information is helpful, good topic :) I had asked some other questions in another thread in The Show Ring but just noticed this thread so I might keep the questions in here from now on.

Can someone please explain what Sweepstakes are? I've heard people say "He came fourth in Baby Puppy Sweepstakes" or similar, what is this?

Sweepies are a fun, yet still competitive class. They nominate an age group, and any exhibit in that age bracket is eligible to participate, usually the entry fee is about $5.

Usually there are 1st - 4th places. The entry fee goes back as rosette and the prize money. For winning 3rd in Puppy Sweeps this weekend, i got a rosette and $30.

All breeds go in together, instead of being broken down to breed / group and judges pick from a line up of all breeds. They can usually attract about 30 entries.

Hope this clears it up for you

#23 User is online   cassie 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

View PostCruiseNRoxy, on 12th May 2009 - 05:01 PM, said:

Sweepies are a fun, yet still competitive class. They nominate an age group, and any exhibit in that age bracket is eligible to participate, usually the entry fee is about $5.

Usually there are 1st - 4th places. The entry fee goes back as rosette and the prize money. For winning 3rd in Puppy Sweeps this weekend, i got a rosette and $30.

All breeds go in together, instead of being broken down to breed / group and judges pick from a line up of all breeds. They can usually attract about 30 entries.

Ohhhh ok. So do they just nominate an age group on the day? Or do you know in advance that this show on this date will have Puppy Sweepstakes? Are all age groups included - surely they wouldn't have Open would they? Heaps of dogs in there I'd imagine!

#24 User is offline   RoxyNHemi 

• Forum Regular

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

View Postcassie, on 12th May 2009 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostCruiseNRoxy, on 12th May 2009 - 05:01 PM, said:

Ohhhh ok. So do they just nominate an age group on the day? Or do you know in advance that this show on this date will have Puppy Sweepstakes? Are all age groups included - surely they wouldn't have Open would they? Heaps of dogs in there I'd imagine!

No, it will be advertised in the schedule what sweepstakes are available at the show. We are having a show coming up where they are having Baby, Puppy, Junior, Non Champion, Champion, Neuter, Veteran, Special Veteran sweepstakes.

#25 User is online   cassie 

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

I see, thanks :)

#26 User is online   cassie 

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

Just wanted to ask this question again, if someone wouldn't mind clearing it up for me I'd really appreciate it :rofl:

View Postcassie, on 12th May 2009 - 04:50 PM, said:

Also (thanks to another thread!) I have just worked out all the classes, and what winning them means, etc. When it comes to the Group judging, they have classes again, is that right? So you get Baby Puppy of Group, Puppy of Group, Junior of Group, etc...? Then out of all THOSE winners do they choose an overall Best In Group? Same goes for Best In Show? Or have I got this bit totally wrong... :laugh:

#27 User is offline   Kissindra 

• love is not caring when your favourite boots are eaten
  • State:QLD

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

View Postcassie, on 14th May 2009 - 06:19 PM, said:

Just wanted to ask this question again, if someone wouldn't mind clearing it up for me I'd really appreciate it :)

View Postcassie, on 12th May 2009 - 04:50 PM, said:

Also (thanks to another thread!) I have just worked out all the classes, and what winning them means, etc. When it comes to the Group judging, they have classes again, is that right? So you get Baby Puppy of Group, Puppy of Group, Junior of Group, etc...? Then out of all THOSE winners do they choose an overall Best In Group? Same goes for Best In Show? Or have I got this bit totally wrong... :banghead:

oh bugger, nevermind - I just went to check facts and am back to being confused :rofl:

check out this link though :rofl: http://www.dogsnsw.o...xhibit-your-dog

This post has been edited by Kissindra: 14 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

#28 User is online   cassie 

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

That link has answered my question, thankyou Kissindra! :banghead:

EFS

This post has been edited by cassie: 14 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

#29 User is offline   Owned by Shelties 

• Forum Regular

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

(b) gains a total of 100 points, of which twenty five (25) of these points are
gained after the age of twelve (12) months; may apply for such dog to be
known as a Champion.

So does this mean if u have a dog with say 91 points prior to 12 months they only need 25 after 12 months?? or do u need to get 34 points? So if it's sounding confusing.

#30 User is offline   Carluke 

• Breeder/Exhibitor

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

View PostOwned by Shelties, on 7th Jun 2009 - 03:38 PM, said:

(b) gains a total of 100 points, of which twenty five (25) of these points are
gained after the age of twelve (12) months; may apply for such dog to be
known as a Champion.

So does this mean if u have a dog with say 91 points prior to 12 months they only need 25 after 12 months?? or do u need to get 34 points? So if it's sounding confusing.

You only need 25 points after 12 months.

Cheers Kate

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions