Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Okay dumb question but ive entered church in 2 minor puppy (he will just be over six months) now say we win our class cause we are the only flat coat there and no other dogs enter any other classes for our breed does that mean (judges discretion aside) we automatically win bob ?

If you are the only one of your breed, yes you win BOB unless the judge refuses the award (which they can do, rare, but can happen) due to immaturity. Then you'll have to go back in for Best In Group and provided the BIG or RUIG winners are not from the minor class, you'll also have to go back in for Minor In Group.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember that the check chain you are using in the ring is, or should be, really fine. These aren't designed for actually correcting your dog, they are to show your dog with minimal distraction.

The idea is to train your dog to walk calmly on the show lead.

If you are having trouble getting your dog to the ring, then I suggest that you have a normal collar and lead and your show lead both on the dog to walk to ringside, then remove the normal collar and lead before going in the ring. :)

HTH

Remember that the check chain you are using in the ring is, or should be, really fine. These aren't designed for actually correcting your dog, they are to show your dog with minimal distraction.

The idea is to train your dog to walk calmly on the show lead.

If you are having trouble getting your dog to the ring, then I suggest that you have a normal collar and lead and your show lead both on the dog to walk to ringside, then remove the normal collar and lead before going in the ring. :)

HTH

Thanks for that. It's good to hear that they aren't for correction. Atti walks brilliantly on lead. I have a group of show dog people to show me how to correctly use one as well. I've noticed that one lady there used a thin almost shoe lace like lead to show her golden.

I am reluctant to get anything online as it's hard to tell what's what and I would prefer to look. Is leaving it till the day a bit risky?

• 2 weeks later...

I've a question for NSW showers -

my new puppy will be coming home from the 25th of November, and breeder has just let me know that she will be microchipped and BAER tested on the 24th (therefore papers will not be ready when puppy comes home, that's cool with me).

I was planning for our first show to be the Australia day long weekend, which would give me just under 2 months for paperwork to be processed (and over Xmas time too when offices close!)

So the breeder, seeing my plans to show my baby so soon, let me know that her papers will be coming a bit later but told me that in Tassie, they are allowed to show baby puppies with their number put down as "pending", is the same true for NSW? I must say I've never seen it in any NSW show catalogues, but as i'm still fairly "new" with only 7 or so shows under my belt, I thought I would ask.

I can just hope that everything comes through on time, and works out, but I don't mind if it doesn't because I can still show Cleo in neuter :)

• 3 weeks later...

my new puppy will be coming home from the 25th of November, and breeder has just let me know that she will be microchipped and BAER tested on the 24th (therefore papers will not be ready when puppy comes home, that's cool with me).

I was planning for our first show to be the Australia day long weekend, which would give me just under 2 months for paperwork to be processed (and over Xmas time too when offices close!)

So the breeder, seeing my plans to show my baby so soon, let me know that her papers will be coming a bit later but told me that in Tassie, they are allowed to show baby puppies with their number put down as "pending", is the same true for NSW? I must say I've never seen it in any NSW show catalogues, but as i'm still fairly "new" with only 7 or so shows under my belt, I thought I would ask.

I can just hope that everything comes through on time, and works out, but I don't mind if it doesn't because I can still show Cleo in neuter :)

I would suggest you contact Dogs NSW and ask them. I know that this rule is different from State to State.

No you can't enter a baby with the number "pending" - you must have their rego number on the form when you enter. I think you should be able to get your papers back in plenty of time. And most shows you can enter online and they close a bit later so don't stress :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't want to start a whole new thread so thought I'd try here. Does anyone know when the Adelaide Royal schedules are usually released? The show isn't until September.

http://theshow.com.au/showground/royal-adelaide-show/show-entries-results/schedules.jsp

There is also a pfd file on the web now.

Of course you may already know all this.

Good Luck

:thumbsup:

My question relates to putting the details of Sire & Dam on an entry form.

Do I add their pedigree name & kennel number or their titles, pedigree name & kennel number.

If I only did the former is the entry invalid?

It is for a local show, not a Royal or Specials.

Nervous VM

:)

My question relates to putting the details of Sire & Dam on an entry form.

Do I add their pedigree name & kennel number or their titles, pedigree name & kennel number.

If I only did the former is the entry invalid?

It is for a local show, not a Royal or Specials.

Nervous VM

:)

titles, names and numbers as it is often put in the catalogue as well. There is a separate space for numbers. Titles are part of their name, they are on the official rego certificate. But sometimes it does get squishy. You can usually get more in if you do your entries on the computer and then print them out. Is much neater and easier to read as well (at least it is for me, my handwriting is atrocious) Same as I have added 2 different phone numbers and my email address which I could never do if I hand wrote them :D

I'm loving using the computer entries now. Show Manager is my favourite, very easy to use and when I had an issue I asked on their FB page and he solved it straight away (I had a glitch with one of my dogs)

Makes it easy when you don't have a Cheque book (and the post office here don't understand why I get money orders for such small amounts)

• Troy unpinned this topic