Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Troy

What size crate (roughly) is best for a Cavalier.

I'm looking at a extra small crate and the caption reads:

"Would fit VERY SMALL dogs such as: Chiuhuahuas, Pomeranians etc.

50cm x 35cm x 35cm"

But I'm wondering if that would be a bit too squishy for a Cavalier (since they are a bit bigger then something like a Chiuhuahua)?

The next size up is small:

"Would fit SMALL dogs such as: Boxer, Shetie, Border Collie etc.

60cm x 42cm x 42cm"

But that sounds to big, especially when trying to crate train a puppy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What size crate (roughly) is best for a Cavalier.

I'm looking at a extra small crate and the caption reads:

"Would fit VERY SMALL dogs such as: Chiuhuahuas, Pomeranians etc.

50cm x 35cm x 35cm"

But I'm wondering if that would be a bit too squishy for a Cavalier (since they are a bit bigger then something like a Chiuhuahua)?

The next size up is small:

"Would fit SMALL dogs such as: Boxer, Shetie, Border Collie etc.

60cm x 42cm x 42cm"

But that sounds to big, especially when trying to crate train a puppy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I would go the larger crate (the SMALL)... I really cant see a boxer fit in it though :laugh:

I would prefer a bit of room for the dogs to turn around in. :thumbsup:

Yes the smallest one would be too small. I just took my tape measure and those dimensions match one of my crates. It is one of my smaller ones that would not give a big Cavalier much room to get comfy. None of mine are big so it's a handy size that I often use in the car but if you want to use the crate for extended periods of time once your dog is grown a slightly larger one may be better? No way would a boxer or border collie get in that crate :thumbsup:

My experience is that Cavaliers ae not happy alone during the greater part of the day. For people who work, I think they would be better with 2 Cavaliers - perhaps a puppy and an older Cavalier if you do not want to raise 2 pups together. Cavaliers are gregarious, and do better with companionship. If you cannot provide it, get another cavalier. They seem to recognize and like other cavaliers.

Larger dogs are, imho, fine, as long as a boisterous large pup is not allowed to monster a Cavalier. Mine integrate well with the boxers, but I ensure 1/2 grown boxer pups do not annoy the cavs.

Brushes - slicker, metal medium toothed comb, pin bristle brush. Also a bristle brush such as a Mason Pearson (you can mortgage your house for one). The comb is fine for the feathers and ears, and for separating the "pin" knots which can form behind the ears. The bristle brush brings the oil from the skin through the hair, which is very good for the coat.

post-438-1249647091_thumb.jpg

Re Cavaliers' eyes. This is what the Breed Standard says

Large, dark, round but not prominent; spaced well apart.

NOT prominent. IMHO, a dog which will have protruding eyes will show that as a pup.

post-438-1249649311_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jed

• 3 weeks later...

Question - Is it expected that you would pay more for a pup that is black/tan or ruby because they are not as common as bleinham and tri colours?

Thanks in advance.

PS> Have loved all the info in this thread, please more more more!!

Question - Is it expected that you would pay more for a pup that is black/tan or ruby because they are not as common as bleinham and tri colours?

Thanks in advance.

No price does not depend on colour. Many years ago there were fewer wholecolours but there are plenty about now. (The only ones here :laugh: )

Thanks in advance.

I agree with Gretel, the price of the dog should not be reliant on colour.

Guest rhapsodical78

I want to know if anyone here has has experiences with both the CKCS and the KCS and can tell me what the difference in temperament is.

I want to know if anyone here has has experiences with both the CKCS and the KCS and can tell me what the difference in temperament is.

My friend has had a few Charlies and I have helped a bit with lead training them as pups. The Charlies I have known have been more stand offish than Cavaliers and training is not so easy! A Cavalier will do just about anything for a treat whereas a Charlie will do it if they feel like it. If a Charlie decides they like you that's great but if they don't you can't do much about it :o A Charlie seems to be devoted to their 'person' whereas a Cavalier loves the world :D That's a generalisation and there certainly are different personalities in each breed.

A lady who i am associated with has both breeds and I agree with Gretels comments. They keen to be more devoted to one person, a little more resevered in their nature. A cavalier will go to all lenghts to please a owner where a Charlies seem to be a little more challenging to get their attention sometimes. However both breeds make lovely pets. :rofl:

Hi

According to some websites/ books, the typical life span of a cavalier is between 7 to 10 and MVD is the cause of it. Just like to find out if anyone have come across cavaliers that live beyond 11?

In addition, may I know what's the normal price range for a ruby cavalier puppy? With and without papers.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi

According to some websites/ books, the typical life span of a cavalier is between 7 to 10 and MVD is the cause of it. Just like to find out if anyone have come across cavaliers that live beyond 11?

In addition, may I know what's the normal price range for a ruby cavalier puppy? With and without papers.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi Muffin,

Yes some Cavaliers do live to their teens ;) Quite a few actually! Unfortunately MVD is prevelant in the breed and we do lose some at a younger age. A friend lost a few of her's last year aged around 14.

Prices probably depend on whereabouts you are located. I'm pretty sure all states now breeders are required to sell their pups with registration papers? I could be wrong though. Definitely in NSW all pups sold should have registration papers - either limit (not for show or breeding) or main. Prices would be starting at around $900 in Sydney.

What should a family expect to pay for a Limited Register pup from fully health tested parents?

I think this will vary quite a bit depending on area. I think most good breeders around Sydney are charging around $900 to $1000.

My family will be looking into a family pet by the end of the year (currently renovating their yard to suit a dog) and they are located in Canberra. I have suggested a Cav as I had one growing up and I think it would be the best suited breed for them.

Can anyone recommend a Breeder in or close to Canberra ?