Great Dane

Troy

Using the "Poodlefan Standard Meal Measure", how many chicken wings would it take to make up an adult Great Dane meal?

Feel free to use kilos if that's easier. :confused:

When he was with me, Hoshi ate the same amount of food as my pointers - don't know how many wings it would work out to but can give you an approx in chicken frames :eek: 2.5 chicken frames for dinner and one at breakfast (Hoshi was actually fed a premium quality dry food, with a homemade casserole and also lots of lamp flap and chicken pieces. BUT he really did eat the same amount as the pointers. He was very easy to get weight onto and maintain it. The Pointers are the opposite.)

They have had different purposes such as Guarding, Pulling men off horse back in war time and wild board hunting.

Fascinating. Thanks sas. Going off to google some more. Why do the Americans like them even bigger than the Danes in Europe?

They have had different purposes such as Guarding, Pulling men off horse back in war time and wild board hunting.

Fascinating. Thanks sas. Going off to google some more. Why do the Americans like them even bigger than the Danes in Europe?

Americans seem to like everything bigger. :eek:

Seriously though, alot of US breed standards seem to allow for the taller end of the spectrum. It isn't limited to Danes. :confused:

How did i miss this

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Owner & Exihbitor (breeder oneday)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

The origin of the name Great Dane is curious. The breed can be traced back to Germany, not Denmark as often thought because of the Anglo saxon Name

3. How common is it in Australia?

Low-Medium

4. What is the average lifespan?

i always say 8 -10 yrs of age

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

the breed is often referred to as a gentle giant. Great Danes are generally well-disposed toward other dogs, other non-canine pets and humans. As with all dogs, they should be supervised around young children. Great Danes can be protective and make good guard dogs. Some Great Danes — as with any breed — can have dominance issues, can be aggressive with other dogs, or chase small animals; however, this is not typical

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Perhaps 30 minutes although you could get away with 15 minutes depending on the dog.

Puppy exercise is minimal and if the owner isn't an experienced Dane Owner they need to follow their breeders instructions. ie let the pup play/ excaerice in the backyard they will tell you when they have had enough

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with? i agree with sas

Yes and No

They're a BIG dog so if you're not prepared to train the dog well you're going to have issues.

They're a deep pocket breed.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

I believe so

9. How much grooming is required?

Spray and wipe dogs there are lol very easy grooming

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

They will probably knock small kids over. they dont relise their size

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

DCM

Hip Dysplasia

Wobblers

H.O.D

pano

Bloat

entropian

hypothyroidism

Skin Condions can occur if in lineage

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Xraying of the Hips and Elbows to be on the safe side (Results should be lower than 20 although I personaly think that is high), testing of the Thyroid. Heart check but that is only current on the day it was taken. Meet the parents to check out the temperments, ask around about Breeders, Dane people will say what they think.

Overall a fantasic breed that ill never be withought

American Danes are no bigger than most Australian / English Danes. European Danes are probably not as tall but tend to be heavier in body and head. We have a US imported bitch. Same size as the Aussie bitches here.

American v Euro, as Shell said Euro tends to be heavier, 'some' Euro Danes aren't recognisable to us here as Danes with massive builds, huge heads and flews etc.

I personaly find alot of the American dogs to be really fine in bone.

American v Euro, as Shell said Euro tends to be heavier, 'some' Euro Danes aren't recognisable to us here as Danes with massive builds, huge heads and flews etc.

I personaly find alot of the American dogs to be really fine in bone.

Sorry I should have clarified. My comment re size was about mass, not height, and obviously I got the two regions (europe and USA) confused so thanks for the clarification.

Having visted the USA and been to a National specialty with over 700 dogs I can say I saw fine dogs, coarse dogs, average size dogs and small dogs. Also saw some very big dogs. I agree that there are some winners that are on the fine side but in the midwest where the breed is very strong I would not call them fine at all. They have a reasonable large gene pool over there and there is a fair bit of variation in styles of Danes.

That's interesting Shell, because that's not at all what is represented from photos from shows in America. On a whole the majority seem to be pretty fine compared to Australia.

I've also known a few people who have gone to the Nationals and have made similar comments.

Ask if their lines carry for the following DCM: Cardiomyopathy, Hypothyroidism, CVI: Wobblers.

Are these regularly tested for in Danes, Sway?

In Australia No.

We don't have to heath test to register puppies, for the amount of Great Danes breed very very few people test for anything.

I would say around 5% of breeders test for anything.

Hopefully it changes in the near future.

That's interesting Shell, because that's not at all what is represented from photos from shows in America. On a whole the majority seem to be pretty fine compared to Australia.

I've also known a few people who have gone to the Nationals and have made similar comments.

Depends what part of the country you are visiting. I found the Danes on the West Coast were a lot finer that what I personally would like. Danes in the midwest were wonderful Very strong esp in Harles and Fawns. None of the round bone you often see in harles here. Lovely broad flat bone. Dogs of good size. Sure there was the odd fine one but the majority were of normal size.

The US is such a big place. I found that the styles of Danes did vary from West to East.

I do feel the general quality has slipped a few notches over the last few years. Very hard to find anyone who line breeds these days. Dogs are such a mish mash of pedigrees.

Can we please have photos of good examples of the breed?

A couple of past favorites

boy.jpg

I have more but having photobucket issues so will post later

frontpagenews.jpg

joeydaneworldcover.jpg

Longos-Alana-Top-20.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Whoops... her. I like her, she's pretty.

Would I own a harl? no. Fawn fan here. Followed by mantle (but again, I wouldn't own a mantle unless it was a stunner.)

Ash this bitch is BISS CH Giant Steps Front Page News. I had the pleasure of seeing her go BISS at the Great Dane Club of America National Specialty in 1996 at Fontana Wisconsin. She is a lovely type of bitch beautiful mover although her markings are not perfect. She is the product of colour cross breeding. Fawn X Harle.

She is the type of bitch who could be any colour and still look beautiful.

Whoops... her. I like her, she's pretty.

Would I own a harl? no. Fawn fan here. Followed by mantle (but again, I wouldn't own a mantle unless it was a stunner.)

Ash this bitch is BISS CH Giant Steps Front Page News. I had the pleasure of seeing her go BISS at the Great Dane Club of America National Specialty in 1996 at Fontana Wisconsin. She is a lovely type of bitch beautiful mover although her markings are not perfect. She is the product of colour cross breeding. Fawn X Harle.

She is the type of bitch who could be any colour and still look beautiful.

Thanks for that Michelle. I have often wondered if people did cross colour matings with danes. I know that with cockers it's frowned upon to breed solids to parti colours but with so many new people involved in the breed, it has become quite common (even my mother did a solid to parti mating! Didn't think I'd ever see the day.) There are the inevitable mismarked pups but they are obviously pet homed.

How common is it in Australia?