Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: What Is The Youngest Age You Can Desex Puppies? - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

What Is The Youngest Age You Can Desex Puppies? just a question, no pups involved.

#1 User is offline   joanne76 

• Forum Regular
  • State:NSW

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

I was just in the Breeders thread and read a post saying that all her pups are desexed before going to new homes.

What is the youngest age you can desex dogs? would the breed or size of the dog make a difference? Would a Labrador be able to be desexed earlier than a Chi?

I work in cat rescue and we get kittens desexed at about 8 weeks but for some reason i thought it was different for dogs.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

jo

#2 User is offline   WreckitWhippet 

• Forum Regular

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

8 or ten weeks, depending on the vet

#3 User is offline   joanne76 

• Forum Regular

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

So that is the same as kittens.

Thanks Again

#4 User is offline   MolassesLass 

• ANKC Breeder
  • State:QLD

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

My vet won't do them unless they are 6 weeks or older and 1kg or heavier (yes, similar to kittens).

This post has been edited by molasseslass: 06 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

#5 User is offline   Borderpower 

• Forum Regular

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

View Postmolasseslass, on 6th Jul 2009 - 12:16 PM, said:

My vet won't do them unless they are 6 weeks or older and 1kg or heavier (yes, similar to kittens).

Yep same...
Normally 6 weeks plus

#6 User is offline   Aussienot 

• Forum Regular

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

Two criteria must be met as a minimum (AWL criteria for desexing) : 8 weeks plus 1 Kilo in weight, to make the sedation safer. So yes, the larger the animal the more likely they will be at 1 kilo at 8 weeks. I can usually tell a "kilo" kitty just by lifting.

#7 User is offline   sandgrubber 

• Forum Regular
  • State:Overseas

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

Can and want to may be different. I don't like to desex before six months because it changes the way the dog grows, and the chance of complications (eg incontinence) is higher with early desexing.

#8 User is offline   Kirty 

• Forum Regular
  • State:VIC

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

Actually sandgrubber, there is no difference between desexing at 6 months and desexing at 8 weeks. If you want to prevent growth differences, you need to wait until the dog is mature (12-24 months). I read a paper on this recently but can't find the link now. Will get my friend to email it to me if anyone wants to read it.

#9 User is offline   Kyra 

• Forum Regular
  • State:WA

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

Kyra was desexed at 8 or 9 weeks.. can't fully remember, she was a rescue and had to be done before she came to me. She hasn't had any problems, however we bought our sharpei from a registered breeder who told us its best to wait until he's 18 months to desex him and all i had was problems, he was trying to hump kyra and all sorts of crap so he lost his bits about a fortnight ago now.
Much prefer them to be done as pups, they recover quicker and there's no dramas.

#10 User is offline   Ams 

• Forum Regular

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:23 AM

View PostKyra, on 6th Jul 2009 - 09:22 PM, said:

Kyra was desexed at 8 or 9 weeks.. can't fully remember, she was a rescue and had to be done before she came to me. She hasn't had any problems, however we bought our sharpei from a registered breeder who told us its best to wait until he's 18 months to desex him and all i had was problems, he was trying to hump kyra and all sorts of crap so he lost his bits about a fortnight ago now.
Much prefer them to be done as pups, they recover quicker and there's no dramas.

My shelter likes having smaller puppies, like chi's desexed at a slightly older age so they get done at 12 weeks. (My two Lhasa Apso X fosters go back this am YAY).

#11 User is offline   Teebs 

• RIP Atlas, I love you

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

My vet will do anything as long as it is 1kg or heavier.

#12 User is offline   BittyMooPeeb 

• Lil Tacker
  • State:ACT

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

Vets round here generally dont desex until 6 months old. It would be great if the effects of early desexing was the subject of some good studies, so we knew for sure which school of thought was the more correct.

#13 User is offline   willis08 

• Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

View PostBittyMooPeeb, on 7th Jul 2009 - 11:30 AM, said:

Vets round here generally dont desex until 6 months old. It would be great if the effects of early desexing was the subject of some good studies, so we knew for sure which school of thought was the more correct.

There is some really interesting reading on this from vets in the U.S , especially on large breeds that are de-sexed before they have finished growing.

#14 User is offline   callee 

• Forum Regular

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

View Postwillis08, on 7th Jul 2009 - 11:39 AM, said:

There is some really interesting reading on this from vets in the U.S , especially on large breeds that are de-sexed before they have finished growing.

I'd love to read this, do you have link?

#15 User is offline   willis08 

• Forum Member

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

View Postcallee, on 7th Jul 2009 - 12:12 PM, said:

View Postwillis08, on 7th Jul 2009 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'd love to read this, do you have link?

I can't remember the site, I googled " dog neutering side effects "

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions