Schnauzer (miniature)

Troy

The Schnauzer (Miniature)

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=177 )

Group: Group 6 (Utility)

General Appearance: Sturdily built, robust, sinewy, nearly square, (length of body equal to height at shoulders). Expression keen and attitude alert. Correct conformation is of more importance than colour or other purely 'beauty' points.

Characteristics: Well balanced, smart, stylish and adaptable.

Temperament: Alert, reliable and intelligent. Primarily a companion dog.

Head And Skull: Head strong and of good length, narrowing from ears to eyes and then gradually forward toward end of nose. Upper part of the head (occiput to the base of forehead) moderately broad between ears. Flat, creaseless forehead; well muscled but not too strongly developed cheeks. Medium stop to accentuate prominent eyebrows. Powerful muzzle ending in a moderately blunt line, with bristly, stubby moustache and chin whiskers. Ridge of nose straight and running almost parallel to extension of forehead. Nose black with wide nostrils. Lips tight but not overlapping.

Eyes: Medium sized, dark, oval, set forward, with arched bushy eyebrows.

Ears: Neat, V-shaped, set high and dropping forward to temple.

Mouth: Jaws strong with perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. the upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.

Neck: Moderately long, strong and slightly arched; skin close to throat; neck set cleanly on shoulders.

Forequarters: Shoulders flat and well laid. Forelegs straight viewed from any angle. Muscles smooth and lithe rather than prominent; bone strong, straight and carried well down to feet; elbows close to body and pointing directly backwards.

Body: Chest moderately broad, deep with visible strong breastbone reaching at least to height of elbow rising slightly backward to loins. Back strong and straight, slightly higher at shoulder than at hindquarters, with short, well developed loins. Ribs well sprung. Length of body equal to height from top of withers to ground.

Hindquarters: Thighs slanting and flat but strongly muscled. Hindlegs (upper and lower thighs) at first vertical to the stifle; from stifle to hock, in line with the extension of the upper neck line; from hock, vertical to ground.

Feet: Short, round, cat-like, compact with closely arched toes, dark nails, firm black pads, feet pointing forward.

Tail: Docked: Set on and carried high, customarily docked to three [3] joints.

Undocked: Set on and carried high, of moderate length to give general balance to the dog. Thick at root and tapering towards the tip, as straight as possible, carried jauntily.

Gait/Movement: Free, balanced and vigorous, with good reach in forequarters and good driving power in hindquarters. Topline remains level in action.

Coat: Harsh, wiry and short enough for smartness, dense undercoat. Clean on neck and shoulders, ears and skull. Harsh hair on legs. Furnishings fairly thick but not silky.

Colour: All pepper and salt colours in even proportions, or pure black, or black and silver. That is, solid black with silver markings on eyebrow, muzzle, chest and brisket and on the forelegs below the point of elbow, on inside of hindlegs below the stifle joint, on vent and under tail.

Sizes: Ideal height:

Dogs 36 cms (14 ins)

Bitches 33 cms (13 ins)

Too small, toyish appearing dogs are not typical and undesirable

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

Is it true that in the make up of the Miniature that there is terrier and thus the Minis are more highly strung and also tend to bark more?

One of my clients did her Schnauzer research and was told this by a breeder. I've often wondered how much truth there is to it.

Edited by Clyde

I would like to know about the tail docking. Is there a reason why this is done? And do all/most/some puppies get their tails docked these days?

On a side note, I just love these little guys! :hug:

We own 2 of these little beauties.

Tails in Australia tend not to be docked anymore, however this is still common place abroad (USA especially).

There is a little bit of terrier in them, and in some classifications are classed with the terrier breed. They originally started out in Germany as ratters so will quite happily hunt around for them, and other little critters. They are also quite quick when they want to be, as well as very confident in their ability.

They are quite a little guard dog and will notify you of presence, and are also very happy little things that can bark with excitement, or just to alert. Neither of ours are excessive barkers, but will bark to communicate if the above conditions are met.

However, they are companion dogs as per the post, and after play time are quite happy to curl up on your lap or beside you.

There is a little bit of terrier in them,

Which terriers are in their development? Lovely little dogs.

I just googled this to find out and found this paragraph on a site called animal-world.com: 'The Miniature Schnauzer was established by crossing the Standard Schnauzer with one or more small breeds, such as the Affenpinscher or Poodle. This energetic companion was bred to be a farm dog, it excels at catching vermin'

The Poodle isn't classed as a Terrier though?

I'm not sure how accurate this is though...hopefully one of the Schnauzer Breeders can add more.

Edited by Aubrey

What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

I have owned minis for 25 years. On the committee of the Breed Club and run the breed rescue

Minis were bred in Germany primarily for ratting

They are very popular as a family pet.

13-15 years

Wonderful temperament, very much the clown, easy to train and love their family. A good companion dog and excellent guard dog. Excell in obedience and agility.

Daily walking (1/2 hr at least) is necessary as they are a fairly active breed.

As long as they joined an obedience club, and got good advice and mentoring from their breeder.

I wouldn't recommend a solo mini, if the family is all working full time.

Brushing daily/several times a week, and clipping approx. every six weeks. Show dogs are stripped.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Generally they are terrific with small children, but kids and dogs should always be under supervision. Fine for a disabled person as they are a wonderful companion, as long as the dog had regular daily exercise.

PRA, hereditary cataracts

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

I would ask to see parents of the puppy for temperament, and if they have eye certifcates.

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

Breeder /exhibitor 26 yrs

Germany & vernim hunter

Very popular to the point they suffer badly from BYB

12-15

One raised correctly very loyal,outgoing a real social butterfly

There not a breed that needs daily exercise but its a great part of mental activities.They will happily adapt to what each day brings

Yes

Yes

They are a high maintenance breed in the sense they need brushing & trips to the grooming salon or an owner dedicated to clipping them selves every 6-8 weeks

There not a boisterous breed but there a touchy/feely breed

PRA/Cataracts/heart/liver shunt/skin issues

PRA/Cataracts area must. Buying with your brain nor your heart is a must with any breed.ask lots of questions & make yourself a smart buyer.Your pup will live for along time & a well breed mini will rarely have vet visits.

There is a little bit of terrier in them,

Which terriers are in their development? Lovely little dogs.

There are many theories but the one most believe is there crossed with the Std Schnauzer & Affenpinscher.

Whilst there vernim hunting aspect places them as a terrier there not terriers & shouldnt act like a Terrier.

In Canada & the US there in the terrier grp.FCI the pinscher & *** grp(

UK there in the utility like Oz.

A few years back they wanted to change the classifications in Australia & place the minis in the terrier grp & the std /giants to the working grp.

We where happy to go into the Terrier grp & be amongst similiar coated breeds with judges that often understood this aspect .

Many breeders who had all the varieties didnt want them seperated because it was to much hassle to be in two grps.

What differences are there in temperament between the three sizes of Schnauzer? And why?

The 3 sizes have a different work history. The standard is the original size, dating back to the 15th century and was used as an all purpose farm dog. The giant was developed around bavaria (with crosses to Danes and other larger breeds) to be more a guard dog who would drive the cattle to market for sale the farmer would then tie the money in the dogs collar and while the farmer enjoyed himself at the pub that night, the dog would protect the money. Later they were used as cart dogs, butchers dogs and more recently in the police. The mini was bred down in size to be a ratter, but I tend to think this was a short lived occupation for this size as it very quickly became a pet.

The history of the schnauzer breeds is a little more complicated as originally in litters there would be smooth coats and rough coat, the smooths were what we now know as German Pinschers and the roughs are the Schnauzers.

Having traced my minis pedigrees back to the begining of the breed, there are a few min pins named in their including one called 'Ali Goller' so I wonder if this is where the 'terrier' aspect of the breed comes in?? Other suggestions have been the affi, but I have not seen any records that name affies and looking back to the times the breed was being developed, the affi and minis were separate colours.

As you asked about the working side of things, I will add that it is a shame that a significant number of Giant breeders are going for softer temperaments and less brains, making great sofa covers but not good if you want a dog to do any work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello Mini Schnauzer lovers and breeders, I have been annoying many breeders lately as I'm desperately trying to locate a mature female mini as a therapy type dog for my family. My sister is 45 and intellectually disabled and lives at home full time with my retired parents. Her much adored mini passed away NYE last year aged 14. Mum and Dad were going to get her a puppy this year however my darling dad has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and about to start chemo. A puppy would be too hectic for them. I met a lady at the dog park the other day who told me she met someone who has a schnauzer as a Medicaid dog for her epilepsy. My sister also has epilepsy. If there is anyone with some information that may be able to help me in like caring a bomb-proof beautiful and loving mature mini I would be most grateful. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

• 3 years later...

i have two of these.  They are intelligent and both have different personalities.  Was from different breeders but turns out on their family tree they share the same grandfather.

For grooming, i was worried about this before I got one.  But I don't think they are high maintenance at all.  For mine, they are not show dogs just family dogs.  I do clip them every 6-8 weeks during summer and leave their fur to grow during winter to keep them warm.  I hardly brush them at all, probably once every fortnight.  Sometimes their hair mattes up but i just cut it, no big deal.   They don't shed, so great for people with allegies.

• Like 1