Golden Retriever

Troy

• 4 months later...

After a lifetime of owning shelties and more recently Australian Shepherds I have been considering a Golden for my next big dog down the track and have been looking into the breed. For the most part I think they would fit in quite well but I have noticed they are quite doggy smelling. Shelties and Aussies seldom smell unless they really need a bath and I have never once patted them and come away smelling them on my hands. What is normal for Goldies?

• 2 weeks later...

Jackofhearts - Some bark heaps, and others bark rarely, it's probably something that you will need to discuss with the breeders and ask whether or not the lines have a tendency to be barkers. I have 3 goldens, my bitch rarely ever barks. You never hear her. One of my males was a terrible barker but has quietened down in the last year or two, he's now 6.5. My other one CAN be a barker at times, but nowhere near as bad as my other boy.

Edited by GoldenWei

• 1 month later...

my goldens never get smelly, i groom and bath them regularly - i ahvent bathed my bitch for over 3 months and she doesnt smell at all but is dirty to touch lol my boy gets smelly around the head as he often has ear trouble other then that they are not smelly at all

I have a cream and he can be hard keep clean but I can brush dirt out of his coat. And yes mine does have that doggy smell then I am slack when it comes to bathing him :o I think I just dont notice the smell anymore :laugh:

• 6 months later...

Anyone know who breeds dark golden retrievers? I have heard that the working lines are darker/red colour.

I have had a few Goldens which have been more cream but am looking for a new dog and want a change. Was also interested in Tollers but they seem too hard to find a liter or I will be waiting 1-2 years.

Anyone know who breeds dark golden retrievers? I have heard that the working lines are darker/red colour.

I have had a few Goldens which have been more cream but am looking for a new dog and want a change. Was also interested in Tollers but they seem too hard to find a liter or I will be waiting 1-2 years.

The darker goldens are a little harder to find Paulos. I have two very dark goldens, a female and a male, and siblings of both of these dogs are mostly, lovely and dark as well. Our dogs are all working dogs which as you have noticed, are often darker in colour.

There are very few litters around from the working lines. My male Golden hasn't been used at stud for 2 years now as show people don't want any working lines in their goldens, it appears, and there are very few field bitches out there. Even with my male having 0:0 hips and 0:0 elbows, clear eyes and heart and a great temperament and conformation, he has not been used by show people at all. If you pm me I can give you a contact who is hoping for a litter in 2 months time and they should be darker puppies. There are 3 male pups just whelped in W.A. last week who should be mid gold in colour, also from working lines.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I've been lurking on and off in this forum for a few years now, so desperate to have a goldie to call my own that I thoroughly enjoy listening all about your own lol! An opportunity has arisen for my family to adopt an 11 month old golden retriever boy who sadly is just too big and boisterous for his owner to handle. Big and boisterous would be an understatement - he's received next to zero training of what I can tell, not even sitting on command. A silly question it might be, but is it too late to train him, considering he's learned many bad habits and has zero discipline? And how do you go about starting training? I always imagined we'd start with a young puppy and training would just be par of the course but this dog is beautiful - just very naughty!