Shar Pei

Troy

I think by 14mths he should be more than capable of jumping into your car Pandii. All mine have no trouble jumping onto the outdoor table setting. The girls generally use the chairs to jump up, but Dylan can get onto the table without help. I think my guys all learnt to do this from each other, Charm being the first to learn from the naughty beagles. Jumping hurdles at agility is no trouble at the medium dog height. It is important with growing pups to discourage jumping, but once they are full size, (about 9mths) it should not cause problems.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mr Potatohead

I prefer the Windchill limited slip collars. I'm pretty sure my adult dogs all wear the Large size. They do adjust down smaller quite alot.

http://www.windchill.com.au/collars.htm

Limited slip or martingale collars are best, in my opinion, for shar pei, as with their wrinkly necks, large heads and tiny ears, they tend to slip out of regular flat collars.

Congratulations on the new baby!

Edited by badboyz

• 6 months later...
hi

my pei had been diagnosed with slightly high in T4. currently, he is on Addiction Vension grain free diet.

please advise on the care and diet required.

I don't know much about hyperthyroidism but this may help

Treatment When a dog is suffering from hyperthyroidism, there are three traditional methods of treatment. These include medication, surgery, and radioactive iodine treatment. In the case of medication, daily doses of specific pharmaceuticals can help to prevent the overproduction of thyroid hormones that this disease causes. In most cases, normal levels of hormone production can be reached in approximately one to three weeks. Depending upon your dog's preferences and needs, this type of medication can often be administered in different forms such as in a solid tablet, in liquid form, or as a gel that can be rubbed into the animal's ears.

In some situations, surgery may be required to treat this condition. This technique can involve the removal of either part of the thyroid or the entire gland. Radioiodine treatment is another possibility. This method uses radioactive iodine to kill the overactive cells of the thyroid. While this is considered one of the most effective treatments for hyperthyroidism, not all animals are good candidates for the procedure and a lengthy hospitalization is often required.

In addition to these traditional treatments, some homeopathic remedies can be helpful with regards to calming an overactive thyroid and reducing the symptoms of this disorder. Numerous natural substances have properties that are very beneficial in this respect. For example, bungleweed has properties which inhibit thyroid stimulating hormones, reducing the overactive production of thyroxine and triiodothyronine. This natural substance also relieves the irritability that can sometimes result from hyperthyroidism. It also helps to strengthen certain heart functions, as does hawthorn. Other useful homeopathic ingredients include lemon balm and valerian. These substances relax spasms, relieve tension, and reduce excitability. Homeopathic products geared towards treating canine hyperthyroidism may contain a combination of these ingredients, as well as other natural ingredients which have a beneficial effect upon an overactive thyroid.

If your dog is suffering from unusual symptoms, the most important thing that you can do is to make sure that he or she is examined by a veterinarian immediately. If a diagnosis of canine hyperthyroidism is made, the veterinary doctor can help you to select and implement the most appropriate treatment option for your individual pet.

Source: http://pethealth.petwellbeing.com/wiki/Dog_Hyperthyroidism

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

hi,

i was reading this post and find the shar pei a very interesting breed, are there miniture shar pei in australia ? i remember seeing a ad somewere with someone selling them , also is it possible to get white color shar pei ?

thanks jase

• 4 years later...

Hellooo brains trust,

I have a friend after a bear coat pei, she has one already and is thinking seriously about a pup.

Does anyone know who breeds bear coats at all? State not an issue, pm's would be most welcome.

Ta!

I don't think Ams is on DOL anymore but if you PM Coogie she might remember the breeder Ams got Avatar from as her breeder was considered a quality one. There were a few bear coats on Scumtree when I looked last week. I still haven't seen one in RL myself!

Ams had a few bear coats through the rescue, Dede who now lives near me, and also the little black boy who went to live in WA. You won't find it easy to get a quality, healthy bear, coat pup in Australia - they are outside the breed standard so most ethical breeders actively avoid lines that throw too many bear coats. The only breeder I know for bear coats is SandyShreu in NSW ,they are listed in the breeders section on DoL. Not sure if they are still breeding bear coats or not. I believe they imported their bears from the USA where both bear coats and flowered dogs are enjoying a bit of a renaissance.

I would avoid the scumtree ones like the plague, lots of crosses and byb dogs with the usual Pei health issues, exacerbated by lack of knowledge to treat early and indiscriminate pairings. I predict an explosion of bear coats (or more likely Chow mixes passing as bear coats) following the Facebook phenomenon of Tonkey or whatever he is called.

If I was your friend I would contact SandyShreu and ask if they can help.

Oh my, I just went and googled Tonkey and there are some pics where he looks more like a stuffed toy than a real dog. I was shocked when I saw so many on Scumtree (don't know why I torture myself and look) and even weirder there were quite a few husky x pei litters and now it makes me wonder if they are trying to breed for the Tonkey teddy bear look? Very sad for the pups themselves. I also noticed a few creams on there which you don't usually see a lot of and I wondered whether that was because of the current Paddington craze? People are idiots. All pei are unique and cute!