Tracking

Hi Trina,

The book I use, my 'bible' is Tracking Dog - Theory and Methods by Glen Johnson. I live near Canberra, and all training and trials are in Sydney, so I need to do things on my own. Last year, myself and a friend used this, but due to health problems, I didn't get to trial. This year she got her TD with really only a VERY brief refresher.

I see you are in Melbourne. I would join the Tracking Club of Vic., they are a great bunch, and have a great weekend workshop in Shepparton that I would highly recommend! Also, go to a trial and watch. I found that to be SO helpful. And it's always good to see what it's supposed to look like. LOL!

Good luck, and have fun. It is the most thrilling/scary thing I have ever done. I just keep my eyes on her tail (the thing that I use to read her), keep the lead out of her way and stay upright. LOL!!!

Thank you so very much. There is track 1 trial at KCC park next month which I am going to have a look at and then start practising with them both after the baby is born. This is something I have been wanting to do with my girl since I got her just hadn't gotten around to doing it so had made a decision that next year we would attempt it. I will definatly be joining the Tracking Club of Victoria and attending one of their workshops, I had heard from others that they are really good too. Just thought with so many books around there are probably a few that are suitable to for beginners and knowing my luck I'd end up ordering one that was for experienced trackers :laugh:.

Thanks again for the tip on the book!

Happy Tracking and good luck with her TDX!

Trina :laugh:

Edited by TrinaJ

I also recommend Glen Johnson's book. It is excellent.

You would need to be retired to fit in his training regime though.

It could be hard to find at book shops and may need to be ordered. If you have trouble try the net or Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so very much. There is track 1 trial at KCC park next month which I am going to have a look at and then start practising with them both after the baby is born. This is something I have been wanting to do with my girl since I got her just hadn't gotten around to doing it so had made a decision that next year we would attempt it. I will definatly be joining the Tracking Club of Victoria and attending one of their workshops, I had heard from others that they are really good too. Just thought with so many books around there are probably a few that are suitable to for beginners and knowing my luck I'd end up ordering one that was for experienced trackers :rofl:.

Thanks again for the tip on the book!

Happy Tracking and good luck with her TDX!

Trina :eek:

This is a more local source for the book, if you spend $50 you get free postage and they have plenty of dog books at good prices. The tracking one is under $40 Aust. and no long waits for delivery.

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Home_Gard.../10720850/?cf=3

Thank you so much for starting this thread - and for the replies. Has anyone been able to source the Johnson book in Australia?

Hi to Syrinx! I think we were tracking buddies at Shep in April (GSD)

Fishpond Bookstore NZ sends to Aust and have it, see my other post for the link.

I'm thinking of getting into tracking with my Finnish Lapphund. Took her herding and she tracked the sheep around the ring before she got into herding mode! She's got a good nose on her!! That book looks like it will be a great start for us. I have no idea what I'm doing!

I ordered one from ebay: Linky

It's coming from the UK, but all up was around $36 Aussie.

Just to let those interested know, this book arrive today - so took nine days from UK to WA. Not bad :eek:

Oh, and it was $36 AUD including the postage costs :laugh:

I ordered one from ebay: Linky

It's coming from the UK, but all up was around $36 Aussie.

Just to let those interested know, this book arrive today - so took nine days from UK to WA. Not bad :eek:

Oh, and it was $36 AUD including the postage costs :laugh:

bugger, I just ordered and paid $44 for it.... oh well c'est la vie - cant wait to read it.

I'm thinking of doing tracking with Pele next year now that she's got her CD title. A friend in the USA who has just got a TD title on her 18 month old Bull Terrier has recommended "Enthusiastic Tracking" by William (Sil) Sanders. It arrived the other day from Dogwise. I haven't had time to look at it yet :laugh:

I've added the Johnson book to my "Wishlist" on Fishpond :laugh:

There are also lots of good articles available on the internet.

I started my last dog tracking with the run away method, which worked well for him. My current girl is starting with the scent pad method, which was recommended to me in order to teach her to run a more accurate track wherever possible (instead of just always trailing as my last dog did).

I don't think it matters what method you use, as long as the dog is "getting it" and having fun.

• 4 months later...
I'm thinking of getting into tracking with my Finnish Lapphund. Took her herding and she tracked the sheep around the ring before she got into herding mode! She's got a good nose on her!! That book looks like it will be a great start for us. I have no idea what I'm doing!

Me too, but mine is only nearly 4 months old :thanks:

A lady at obedience training last night talked me into tracking and said that her Norwegian Elkhound did his first trial at 6 months! That's amazing. So we're going to give it a go. Do I need to buy her a harness?

Fran - you don't need a harness immediately. If you are definitely going to stick with it, then you may as well get one straight away so she associates the harness with tracking... But otherwise you can get her a harness a little later. I just use Ahsoka's flyball harness - the only difference between it and a tracking harness is the added handle (for flyball).

Started training Kynan to track today and we did a 5, 10, and 20 metre track and he did great :) I am using the food drop method but I found ants to be a real problem. Not much of a reward getting bitten on the nose by ants! Has anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it?

• 4 weeks later...