Tracking

You certainly don't want anything which impedes movement in the dog. The y-front like the black dog model would be my pick. I used a comfortflex to start with but anything with a strap across the chest can cause problems for the dog if its not at the correct height. The y-front one is much more adjustable for the individual dog.

well she did it....our beautiful girl Zforce Rock Ina Frock TDX is now a Tracking Champion.....she passed her Test 8 under the wonderful judge Ute May with a score of Very Good.....it is bittersweet in that I now move on to Track and Search which I will absolutely love but have no dog doing Tracking but I am training to become a Tracking Instructor so will still attend on Saturdays to help people train their dogs and learn about map drawing and setting out tracks from start to finish....we now have 3 tracking champions in the family and hopefully they become Grand Champions in Track and Search :thumbsup:

Congratulations dezzyno.1. Awesome! You'll love Track and Search .. the dogslove it. Rory got his TSD title last weekend. Kirra bombed the first turn on her Test 6 night track .. but then was great .. of course.

Great that you're doing instructing.

our daughter Tamika has already passed her TSD 1 and I layed some night tracks last October for a trial and had so much fun so am looking forward to next season already and I am now officially a Tracking Instructor so will continue on with my duties as an instructor hopefully teaching other people to love tracking as much as we do.....congratulations on Rory gaining his TSD title and as they say Kirra there is always another trial....I am laying tracks for a big TSD trial for tracks 6, 8 and 10 in October this year again and as always will have so much fun....I really cannot wait until next season for us to all start with Track and Search :D

• 6 months later...

Well it is that time of the year where we start our tracking training (have started about 3 weeks ago).....have started training Dezzy and Pink in Track and Search and Tamika is training Jessie in Track and Search.....a very kind older lady has a dog who has got its Tracking Dog Title but as she is older cannot keep on going with the dog in tracking so has asked if I would handle her dog for her....I have said yes and she is a very fast and strong dog when on track and is a Weimeraner....her name is Mel and we are doing really well together in training

Our first trial in T&S is the last weekend in April and I am handling Dezzy and Tamika is handling Jessie....Pink misses out on this trial as she has a dog show the day before and will probably be too tired and then the second weekend in May I am handling Mel in our first trial together to do a Test 4.....loving that the season has started and we are back out there loving doing what we do us and our dogs......the club is also putting on a Tracking Workshop next Saturday and I have to lay a track which will be great....hope to have some great success this season both in tracking and track and search....looking forward to it :thumbsup:

I hoping to achieve some tracking goals this year too. So far so good in her training, getting lovely attitude and motivation, have to start working on my track lengths and aging. (and articles...always the articles :laugh: )

Our dogs kill the articles cause when we train we put a treat in the article.....will look forward to some great results in tracking and I hope you are loving tracking as much as we do....it is really a fantastic sport where you are one with your dog :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I am very pleased to say that T.Ch. Amerykus God Ov War aka Dezzy passed his Test 1 in Track and Search on 26/4/15 and T.Ch. Zforce Sweet Surrender aka Jessie passed her Test 2 on 26/4/15.......now looking forward to our next trial in July and keeping fingers crossed Dezzy and Pink pass Test 2 and 1 and Jessie gains her first Track and Search title passing Test 3....I am also busy trialling a Weimeraner for a lady hoping we pass on the weekend at our first trial doing a Test 4 :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to say that the Weimeraner I am tracking Fyreside Glitz and Glamour passed her Test 4 with a score of Good and we also go track of the day due to the judge not having judged me for some time said that my handling skills are much better than they used to be and that I now have beautiful handling skills....so proud....we also have another trial this weekend at Inverleigh hopefully to pass her Test 5 :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

sorry about not posting but have been very busy learning to become an obedience instructor and with tracking training and teaching people in a responsible dog ownership program as well as running around after dogs and kids have been very busy :D

we attended Inverleigh and passed our Test 5 with a score of good and also we have attended the German Shepherd Trial and passed our Test 6 with a score of good and also praise from the judge about my handling skills improving so much since she last saw me

the first week of July I get to handle two of my own dogs Dezzy and Pink for Test 2 and 1 for Track and Search and my daughter handling her dog Jessie to Test 3 in Track and Search which if they pass will be their first Track and Search title

at the end of July I have another tracking trial with Mel the Weimeraner and will be going for out Test 7 then have a couple of trials in August hopefully to gain our Tracking Champion title

I am loving every minute of tracking and track and search and love being out there with our dogs.....it is so rewarding whether you pass or not

will post back once I have hopefully more news to tell :thumbsup:

Thanks dezzyno.1 .. yes, we're fine. Taking a bit of a break while I work through Susan Garrett's awesome H360 agility online course .. and still teaching at dog club. Have added cat showing to the calendar with my two Norwegian Forest Cats - first purebred cats I've ever owned. They're nearly 18 months old and just gorgeous.

How nice to get not only the Qs, but also the nice compliments on your handling :thumbsup: . Have fun with the T & S.

great to hear Tassie....I used to show cats but they were only moggies....one I had won at the Royal Melbourne Show and I had lots of breeders wanting to use him to get his color but he was desexed :)

I am also becoming an obedience instructor and am nearly fully qualified as well as being a tracking instructor and helping on Saturdays with training

Dory The Doted One so glad things are start to happen for you and yes if a dog is too fast it has a good chance of missing the corners and those articles are very important....we use food in our articles for training to draw the dog to the article and it seems to work a treat :)

this Weimeraner I did training with on Saturday she was on rails....she was fast and took every corner and did the acutes like they were not even there.....I as exhausted by the time we got to the end but gee it felt so good and was so rewarding....the dog was ready to go back and do the track again.....I just hope she does this on her next trial which is at the end of July :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

what a weekend we had.....first of all Pink failed as she thought ducks on the lake were much more exciting than following someone's scent.....once I got her going again I had lost all trust in her and should have turned when she wanted to but didn't....lesson learnt.....Dezzy passed his Test 2 and it wasn't pretty but we passed and my daughter Tamika and Jessie passed their Test 3 and gained their first Track and Search Dog Title.....this means Tamika is the youngest in Australia to gain this title and Jessie is the first Amstaff in Australia to gain the title....I am so proud of these two and it has taken me a few days to recover from last weekend....back out to practice with the Weimeraner on Saturday and a trial in two weeks with the Weimeraner and we are going for our Test 7 :thumbsup: