Tracking

Hey Hey peoples of the tracking interest! Its Nekhbets OH :laugh:

Well did another training session with the furry chainsaw on meth and she did great. This is the second time out with her and she performed like a champ, two 20 metre tracks with her nose plastered to the ground. Extra wootage on that one. I am really seeing the improvement in her tracking hearing her take big snorts as she goes along.

Rogue is also.............how you say...............Crazy! She has no fear when it comes to climbing on, jump on, running over anything that get in her way.

A little excited if you can't tell :)

:laugh: can I join in - just back from taking my two girls out for there very first tracking training session. Finally after 10.5 years I have found a sport Ness is a natural at :):):laugh::love: Why didn't I think of trying it earlier.

:laugh: Uncle Zombie - Ness has trained me in lots of different sports in 10.5 years but she reckons tracking seems to be the easiest one on the planet so far. I mean you get to use your nose and get fed free treats at the end - sure why not.

Wow you taught the dog to type as well :)

I am just new to tracking myself but already I am loving it. The trainer can be a bit of a hard arse some times :laugh:

I would really like to get into SAR but it doesn't look to good for us in Victoria. I am going to try..................and not give up.

So tracking is back this season. :laugh:

Chip had only a couple of short training sessions last year, but after his summer break he is great. He's a bit strange, because I really don't know WHY he's tracking. He gets a ball at the end, but he soon drops it. He is a very soft dog who likes his cuddles and affection, and likes people, so perhaps he just likes getting praise and to meet a new person? I don't know but he does it!

Clover has come back much the same. She has missed a couple of articles in our last tracks, so it's something for us to keep an eye on. She finds articles very rewarding (it is a tug toy!), so I don't know why she hasn't picked them up. But oh well, it's a bit early to declare it as a problem yet.

I've been meaning to film a training session with Winona for "how I train the 'find' cue". Winona is only 17 weeks and I would like to document the training process... Wish me motivation...

I wish you all the motivation I can Leema..............lord knows I need the same some days :scared:

Maybe Clover was distracted a little bit thats why she missed the articles.

It looks like all the tracking is happening in SA at the moment and not much here in Victoria I think I am going to have to pack everyone up and go on a road trip :p

:D can I join in - just back from taking my two girls out for there very first tracking training session. Finally after 10.5 years I have found a sport Ness is a natural at :p ;) :hug::hug: Why didn't I think of trying it earlier.

:love::eek: I'm reckon she's been trying to tell you for years!

:D kiesha she probably has. I tried a game with Kenz at the park this morning. Put her in a stay then went and walked a short track, hid the ball behind a tree and returned. Didn't bother with making it formal and having her on-lead just wanted to see what would happen. Yep no brainer. Went and added another tree into the mix and again no issue. Might make a tracking dog out of her yet - might just need to find another way to go about it.

:) can I join in - just back from taking my two girls out for there very first tracking training session. Finally after 10.5 years I have found a sport Ness is a natural at :laugh::(:( ;) Why didn't I think of trying it earlier.

YAYYY Nessie ;)

Pele and I are hoping to get out next week with the northern suburbs group. Apparently it started today, I thought it was next week. Was too nice at the beach anyway :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where you could do tracking in the sydney area?

what are good qualities in a tracking dog?

also, is the love of sniffing stuff an advantage or disadvantage for this sport?

- I can see how it could be both, you want the dog to do something it enjoys, but at the same time if its too focussed on sniffing whatever takes its fancy then it can't concentrate on the real work lol!

Good qualities in a tracking dog? I'd say primarily the ability to be easily motivated, either by food or a toy on the track.

The very best tracking dogs I know also seem to love to track for its own sake, regardless of the reward, like they have a real passion for the track itself, but that's not something you can really test before teaching a dog to track.

I don't know if there is any relation between that and with liking just sniffing around for random things as you describe. I'd suspect that a dog that naturally uses its nose a lot has an advantage over a dog that doesn't, but haven't trained or handled enough tracking dogs to really know for sure.

Also, so much is down to the handler, how well they handle the line, how well they read the dog, can have a huge influence on how well the dog learns.

well when my dog becomes fixated on a scent she will not hear me or pay any attention to me even if I shove treats into her face.

I'm thinking of getting into tracking as a way of harnessing her love for sniffing but in a more productive way!

But maybe it doesn't work that way...

well when my dog becomes fixated on a scent she will not hear me or pay any attention to me even if I shove treats into her face.

I'm thinking of getting into tracking as a way of harnessing her love for sniffing but in a more productive way!

But maybe it doesn't work that way...

Sounds like you might have a tracker ready and waiting. All you need to do is harness that power for good :)

Hi,

Im so pleased I finally found a tracking thread....was beginning to wonder...for some reason it never crossed my mind to look in the dog sport section.

I am about to do test one up at Ballarat this weekend and I was doing fine but am now starting to stress. Has anyone got any last minute advice. I am so worried I am going to miss a corner or a sock.

RubyBlue - best advice I think is - trust your dog, and don't try to overthink things. Remember it's the one sport where the dog actually does know best. Just concentrate on reading what your dog is telling you. And hey - if it did happen to go belly up, you and your dog have had a lovely day out, and you still take the best dog home :thumbsup: - and there's always another day.

Thanks, good advice.

I know when she gets to a corner cause she starts running around like crazy....problem is her indication when she makes the turn is subtle and I tend to miss it when im relaxed and enjoying myself....being judged...well.....

Im sure Ill get better at it with time.

But yes...a nice day out with my dog is a good way to view it.

Hi,

Im so pleased I finally found a tracking thread....was beginning to wonder...for some reason it never crossed my mind to look in the dog sport section.

I am about to do test one up at Ballarat this weekend and I was doing fine but am now starting to stress. Has anyone got any last minute advice. I am so worried I am going to miss a corner or a sock.

Hi Ruby

The best advice I can give is just relax. If you have been doing fine up to this point then you should be all good. :)

On the other hand where abouts are because I am from geelong way and looking for people to track with.

Thanks, good advice.

I know when she gets to a corner cause she starts running around like crazy....problem is her indication when she makes the turn is subtle and I tend to miss it when im relaxed and enjoying myself....being judged...well.....

Im sure Ill get better at it with time.

But yes...a nice day out with my dog is a good way to view it.

Hi RubyBlue

I'll be up at Haddon all weekend - so come and say Hi! My names Kirsten and I have a Great Dane called Oscar. We'll be doing Test 2, but I'm also helping out stewarding & tracklaying.

I did Test 1 at the end of last year and was very nervous. Just remember it's only 400m and 2 turns. Seems like a lot - but it's not really. Although we always want our dogs to indicate an article, you don't have to indicate on a Test 1 to get a pass.

I'm not nervous... yet... LOL but I'm not expecting a pass, and it's only the beginning of the season - so lots of trials to come.

What breed of dog do you have?

Ill be going up to Haddon on Friday - Ive offered to help out too as Im a part of KODC. Ill look out for you. Milly is a lab.

I know the test is easy and we should blitz it but as soon the words 'test' 'judge' etc appear I become a nervous wreck.

We train with a group of other people from KODC on Saturday morning at Norton Park in Wantirna. Geelongs a bit far for regular visits but Id like the chance to train in different areas and with different people/dogs. When do you usually practice?