Dectomax Injectable

gsdog2

Turkey Trot thank you so much for your reply. I have always had a lot of faith in my vet, however when my dog is being injected with a chemical I have not heard of I will still question him. After reading both your reply and Staff'n'Toller's advice I feel more confident about my girls appointment tomorrow. I will still ask questions, but it does seem that Dectomax is a fairly common treatment for Demodectic mange and from what I've read also has the best chance of getting rid of it permantly :wave:

Being in a tick area we give about 10 injections of Dectomax every day to dogs for both tick prophylaxis and treatment for demodex.

Am yet to see any adverse reactions - only positive results

Thank you so much for that feedback. From what I've read about Dectomax I did wonder whether she would also be covered for ticks, as I see that's why it's used on cattle (not that we have a problem with ticks).

I had quite a discussion yesterday with my vet re her treatment and his feelings are that the wash is risky to both human and dog. He also said he's tried both wash and injection and has had much better results from the Dectomax injection. I asked him about nutrition and he said that although it could play a part in Demodectic mange he didn't think in my dog's case it was necessary to give any extra supplements.

So, after speaking to my vet, and no-one on DOL experiencing negative effects from Dectomax injections I have decided to go ahead with the 6 week course of injections as I think it's going to give her the best possible chance to fight Demodectic mange :)

Edited by gsdog2