Shih Tzu

Troy

The Shih Tzu

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=200 )

Group: Group 7 (Non Sporting)

General Appearance: Sturdy, abundantly but not excessively coated dog with distinctly arrogant carriage and 'chrysanthemum-like' face.

Characteristics: Intelligent, active and alert.

Temperament: Friendly and independent.

Head And Skull: Head broad, round, wide between eyes. Shock-headed with hair falling well over eyes, not affecting the dog�s ability to see. Good beard and whiskers, hair growing upwards on the muzzle giving distinct �chrysanthemum-like� effect. Muzzle of ample width, square, short, not wrinkled, flat and hairy. Nose black but dark liver in liver or liver marked dogs and about one inch from tip to definite stop. Nose level or slightly tip-tilted. Top of nose leather should be on a line with or slightly below lower eye rim. Wide-open nostrils. Down pointed nose highly undesirable, as are pinched nostrils. Pigmentation of muzzle as unbroken as possible.

Eyes: Large, dark, round, placed well apart but not prominent. Warm expression. In liver or liver marked dogs, lighter eye colour permissible. No white of eye showing.

Ears: Large, with long leathers, carried drooping. Set slightly below crown of skull, so heavily coated they appear to blend into hair of neck.

Mouth: Wide, slightly undershot or level. Lips level.

Neck: Well proportioned, nicely arched. Sufficient length to carry head proudly.

Forequarters: Shoulders well laid back. Legs short, and muscular with ample bone, as straight as possible, consistent with broad chest being well let down.

Body: Longer between withers and root of tail than height of withers, well coupled and sturdy, chest broad and deep, shoulders firm, back level.

Hindquarters: Legs short and muscular with ample bone. Straight when viewed from the rear. Thighs well rounded and muscular.

Feet: Rounded, firm and well covered with hair.

Tail: Heavily plumed carried gaily well over back. Set on high. Height approximately level with that of skull to give a balanced outline.

Gait/Movement: Arrogant, smooth-flowing, front legs reaching well forward, strong rear action and showing full pad.

Coat: Long, dense, not curly, with good undercoat. Slight wave permitted. Strongly recommended that hair on head be tied up. Hair not affecting the dog�s ability to see.

Colour: All colours permissible, white blaze on forehead and white tip to tail highly desirable in parti-colours.

Sizes: Weight: 4.5-8 kgs (10-18 lbs)

Ideal weight: 4.5-7.5 kgs (10-17 lbs)

Height: no more than 27 cms (10.5 ins) at withers

Type and breed characteristics of the utmost importance and on no account to be sacrificed to size alone.

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportion to its degree and its effect upon the health and welfare of the dog.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

3rd time owner. And soon to be 4th!

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

Shih tzus originated from Tibet, China and were almost wiped out during the Communist Revolution. 14 shih tzus were then rescued and travelled to the US in 1950s. The breed itself was thought to have been created through the pairing of a Lhasa Apso and a Pekingese.

3. How common is it in Australia?

How should I put it? You are more likely to find a a 'Shih Tzu x' than a purebred nowadays. 

4. What is the average lifespan?

10-13 years. 

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Cheeky, friendly and often open to affection from anyone, not just the immediate family. My little Po orientates more towards people than other dogs and knows she's cute. They can also be difficult to house train and have extremely poor recall. Even though they look like they're suited for children with their friendly faces and soft hairy bodies, I personally think they are better meant for older owners. You will also end up spoiling them. I find it inevitable.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Minimal. They don't really need daily walks if you have a backyard or large house. As for walks, 30 minutes maximum in cool conditions. 

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

Easily, in terms of temperament and handling. The only tricky part is grooming and maintenance.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Shih tzus love to be around their owners but they're not as much of a velcro dog as a Cavalier or Chihuahua can be. I usually leave the tv on, adequate food and water and plenty of toys around to keep my Po happy.  

9. How much grooming is required?

A lot! Shih tzus should be properly groomed every 4-6 weeks. I regularly clean Po's face and paws with a wipe as their hairy coats tend to absorb anything they walk past. Brushing should be concentrated in particular around their ears to reduce matting. Unless you're showing your dog, most shih tzus tend to move around perfectly with a puppy cut.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

I find with shih tzus, it's the other way around. As shih tzus are small and quite soft dogs, care should be taken whenever handling them. 

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Consult your breeder or vet.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Who are the parents? Can I see either the Sire or Dame?

Shih tzus are relatively easy to integrate in to your daily lifestyle, especially if you're a homebody. So long as you are aware of the grooming requirements, don't expect a watchdog and don't handle them roughly, they're a great little dog with positive personalities that like to entertain and please.

• Like 1