Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Dark Blood 7 Days Post Mating - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Dark Blood 7 Days Post Mating Has anyone seen this and is it normal?

#1 User is offline   Whipitgood 

• Exhibitor & breeder, Midwife.
  • State:WA

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

My bitch was mated 3 times, last mating was exactly 1 week ago. She had pale "peach" coloured discharge around the time of the last mating. Now this morning ive noticed she has a very dark blood discharge from her vulva. Not a lot, but enough to spot her bed and have drops on the tip of her vulva.
Im hoping she isnt aborting any contents of conception :D
She has had a few "race arounds" with one of my other whippets once a day during their loony hour, but i wouldnt have thought this would affect a pregnancy and like most whippets - the run arounds are short bursts of energy then sleeping all day!
Does anyone have an ideas? I have started her on ABs and will do a swab.

#2 User is offline   fifi 

• breeder/exhibitor/vet nurse/wolfie rescue
  • State:QLD

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Good that you are doing a swab & AB's.

I'm wondering if its just the resuming of the normal end of her season ?

Keep an nose on the odour too.

fifi

#3 User is offline   Scales of Justice 

• Breeder

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

If its only 8 days since mating, its likely to be quite OK, probably just the finish of her season.

#4 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

Phew, thanks, i hope so! There is a yuk smell, but all my girls have that at the end of their seasons, whether they are mated or not. Im always mindful of pyo but ive never had it thank goodness. The smell is a purulant smell, but its never eventuated into anything on any of the girls.

#5 User is offline   Fordogs 

• Fordogs
  • State:NSW

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

One of my bitches did that last year, took her to the vet and she was swabbed and the vet said that it was just the end of her season but gave her AB's anyway but she continued to bleed for another 4 weeks and at full term delivered 8 healthy puppies. (I did worry lots but all was good in the end).

#6 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thats great Fordogs, thanks for letting me know, its comforting to hear it might be normal. I guess dogs are like humans and every pregnancy is different! :thumbsup: If she was a woman at this stage of conception i would suggest it may be implantation bleeding, but im not sure that happens with dogs! I care for pregnant woman and deliver babies every day - but its so much more stressful with my dogs! :thumbsup:

#7 User is offline   Scales of Justice 

• Breeder

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Whipitgood,

I don't like the sound of a foul smell. If it were me I think I would get the bitch swabbed to check for infections.

If you don't get a swab, watch her carefully for any abnormal discharge (besides blood), especially for pus.

If you have already started her on antibiotics, then you won't be able to swab her until she has been off the AB's about a week.

This post has been edited by Scales of Justice: 03 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

#8 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Just an update on this thread - i did an US on my bitch today, she would have been 3 weeks and 5 days - no puppies. :crossfingers:
Im guessing the dark blood was either an infection that stopped implantation or it was implanted embryos being aborted or not implanting properly due to runnning mad with the other dogs. Ive never kept my dogs from doing their usual activity during the conception phase, nor have i swabbed sires in the past prior to mating - but i will be next time!

#9 User is offline   SwaY 

• www.swayd.com.au
  • State:VIC

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

Im sorry to hear that :crossfingers:

#10 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Sway. Ill just wait another 7 months now! :welcome:
At least i can show her at the royal - i actually entered her just in case. Last time i missed the Western Classic because i didnt enter her thinking she would be pregnant and she wasnt. Learnt that lesson last time! :crossfingers:

#11 User is offline   whippets 

• Forum Regular

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Whipitgood, on 17th Sep 2009 - 02:07 PM, said:

Just an update on this thread - i did an US on my bitch today, she would have been 3 weeks and 5 days - no puppies. :crossfingers:
Im guessing the dark blood was either an infection that stopped implantation or it was implanted embryos being aborted or not implanting properly due to runnning mad with the other dogs. Ive never kept my dogs from doing their usual activity during the conception phase, nor have i swabbed sires in the past prior to mating - but i will be next time!

It shouldn't be because a bitch is running around after the mating. I'd be looking at the possability that your girl can't carry a whelp, especially since this is the second times it's happened. Don't go blaming the dog. I'm pretty sure I know who you used, he has recently sired a healthy litter.

#12 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

It shouldn't be because a bitch is running around after the mating. I'd be looking at the possability that your girl can't carry a whelp, especially since this is the second times it's happened. Don't go blaming the dog. I'm pretty sure I know who you used, he has recently sired a healthy litter.

Actually Whippets, i dont recall ever blaming the dog, i just said it looks as though infection may have stopped implantation and that i will do swabs next time. Whether it came from the dog or not is not a blaming process, it is merely and observation that transmitting infection during matings is a possibility and to prevent it happening in future i will consider doing swabs. It is something that happens, an unfortunate event. No body or dog is to blame. :laugh:

My bitch is a proven dam. Yes he is a proven sire many times over. Hence my conclusion that since she developed an infection post mating, that this may have stopped conception taking place.
Thanks for your input! ;)

#13 User is offline   whippets 

• Forum Regular

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Whipitgood, on 17th Sep 2009 - 02:07 PM, said:

nor have i swabbed sires in the past prior to mating - but i will be next time!

yes whatever

#14 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:14 PM

yes whatever

:laugh:

And i will. Like i said, blaming the infection - not the dog!

#15 User is offline   Whipitgood 

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

Thought i better give an update - Whippet babies expected here around 31st October!! :rofl: :rofl:
We did another US today and can see at least 5! :thumbsup:
Looks like the infection didnt affect implantation after all and she just took from her last mating! Soooo happy right now!

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions