Dock Diving

One of the dogs on the Dock Dogs team is jumping 23ft too!

Was that Joey?

Not sure what the dog's name is. The black Kelpie x BC. The owner is American I think?

Keith took Doc in yesterday (I was at agility, of course) and Keith did not give me much feed back on how the others went.

At the risk of causing a domestic :) Doc was getting much longer jumps for you at the previous session.

By the way, having just joined this forum, I have just read the previous posts about dock diving. There is a POSSIBILITY that we may become involved in dock diving more seriously, and we may set up some sort of pool, or some sort of "dock" on our dam out here at Castlereagh (half way between Penrith and Richmond.) But I doubt if it will be a full competition standard dock, especially since it is most probable that the dock we are using at the world dog games will be set up at Pitt Town, which is fairly close to Windsor, which is not that far from Richmond. We are just biding our time at this stage, looking to see people's enthusiasm after the world dog games.

I'd like to continue with the training, but I live near the airport. Windsor and Castlereagh might be a bit far for us :laugh:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of causing a domestic :) Doc was getting much longer jumps for you at the previous session.

Not likely to cause a domestic because Kieth is unlikely to read this, but your opinion is noted - I think Doc gathers more speed if you run with him. But I gather Doc had a lot of fun because Keith used his aqua soccer ball.

By the way, your discription of the dog sounds like Joey.

Le - now all I have to do is figure out how to put in a fancy signature . . . when I find the time.

Edited by canine fun sports

I did continue with the biblical theme, Josh and Moses. LOL :)) Noah isn't a bad name though, except the dog may get it mixed up with No, not just from the owner but from other people cursing their dogs. Actually I was quite happy with how Moses went. From a dog who rarely ever did flying leaps, and at the start only jumped about 3 feet he got up to about 12 feet, huge improvement for him. Josh pretty much stayed the same. I think this would be a low impact sport. I used to do agility with Moses but he used to get a sore back I think through doing the weaver poles. I think this could be a good cross sport. For me I would prefer to do this over tracking, I also like lure coursing, but for some reason is only a fun thing to do in Victoria and not competative. I did some herding with Tia, today at Erskine Park, she did really and they told me she would have passed her PT title.

Difference in jumps could be due to handler nerves yesterday. The last jump I did with Josh for the camera, I was told he looked really relaxed, probably because I was relaxed.

When I was talking to Lisa she told me in the USA when dogs compete often handlers who run with their dogs end up in the pool as well. :cheer: Would be funny to see.

Yes Josh is the Flatcoat Retriever who is 8 but acts like 1. It was about 18 months ago year that he was very ill and we thought we were going to lose him, but he has come back really well. In one year he got a twisted bowel, pancreatitus, and some other kidney problem. He is now really well and happy in himself.

Edited by whatevah

At the risk of causing a domestic :cheer: Doc was getting much longer jumps for you at the previous session.

Not likely to cause a domestic because Kieth is unlikely to read this, but your opinion is noted - I think Doc gathers more speed if you run with him. But I gather Doc had a lot of fun because Keith used his aqua soccer ball.

By the way, your discription of the dog sounds like Joey.

Le - now all I have to do is figure out how to put in a fancy signature . . . when I find the time.

Doc, was doing some great air walking, his legs were going while mid air :)

I agree, he got more distance with you Le, but great height still! And of course he had a blast again ;) His Aqua ball was looking very sad at the end though....

So what is the under dog thing about? How does it work?

Not entirely sure. They have a team of 11, they want one more. Four dogs showed potential on Saturday so we all get to train with the team for the next few weeks and I think we all get to take part in the mock competition on the 24th. After that they'll pick "the underdog". Apparently there's opportunities for the other three dogs to perform with the team at demos in the future if they're good.

They told us to look at YouTube movies to check out the different techniques. I came across this one ...

Go the SBTs!!! :)

hahaha I came across this one:

Good luck to everyone dock diving at the world dog games this weekend. To anyone who is going to watch, don't forget to cheer loudly for us - it excites the dogs, and hopefully, gives us a bigger jump. That's the theory, anyway.

Le (and Doc)

Edited by canine fun sports

Ok quizzed the US trainers about dock dogs and titles etc. This is how it works, there are a few divisions and which division you go into depends on how far your dog can jump.

There is Beginner Division for dogs that jump under 10 ft.

Junior Division for 10 ft - 14"9.

Senior Division 14"9 etc, and other divisions.

You compete against dogs in your own division and are placed accordingly.

Now just say your dogs stuffs up and it jumps only 2ft in one heat (they call them waves) then the next heat they jump 12 ft. You then get a leg in Begginers and one in Juniors division. Once your dog has jumped 5 in a row say Junior Division you then get that title.

So if the dock dogs was a competition that was ANKC registered, this weekend then Josh would have got his Junior title. But Josh being 8 mainly only jumps between 9 feet and 14 feet, so I would never expect him to get a senior title.

In this way I think I would just get his junior title and then give it away. They have had a jack russell jump 21 feet!

I think this could be a draw back of the sport.

We have been having a blast!!! Long days, yesterday we were there from 6:30am until 8pm. Thankfully today was shorter, and the live show was just fantastic, a real thrill to be a part of. Polo is jumpng well, although he's getting tired and jumping a bit shorter than usual, Friday really took it out of him with having to jump a lot for different media folk (but I love seeing him launching on TV :) )

The audience today was just fantastic, cheering loudly for each dog. I think the sport is a real crowd pleaser.