Teaching Dog To Signal No

all that glitters

I have spent a few days trying to teach Shyla to shake her head like she's saying no, except she only moves her head one way, and won't go the other way without hand guidance! I guess I just keep guiding her til she does both then "YES!!!" incredibly loud and treat?

Ha, I thought you were teaching her to signal "no" when she didn't want to do anything! :walkdog:

One of Kayce Cover's books or articles (which I have lost) talked about teaching a dog to signal "yes" or "no" by bumping different fingers (she asked if the dog wanted to toilet, for example, and it indicated yes by bumping her thumb with its nose, or no by bumping her little finger, depending on whether it wanted to toilet or not). Not sure if I believe the story. Although she seems to be completely honest and a good trainer, sometimes you see what you want to see. Would be cool if she had taught it, though!

I have spent a few days trying to teach Shyla to shake her head like she's saying no, except she only moves her head one way, and won't go the other way without hand guidance! I guess I just keep guiding her til she does both then "YES!!!" incredibly loud and treat?

i have a link on youtube you maybe interested in,just what u want i think.

bare with the video it was a competition someone was running and doesnt show you how to teach it until a minute and a half into the the video.She uses clicker to mark but just use your "yes".No need to yell the "yes"just keep the tone consistent.First step is to teach targeting.then two targets one each side.Get your dog to target one side,mark, but reward with food on the target on the other side. Anyway check out the video and youll get the drift.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chalk6666#play.../13/VpbAGvHFL-g

Edited by Piri

• 1 month later...

Another method which can be used for a different style of NO using the clicker is to gently place a cottonwool ball just inside the ear just enough to tickle the ear. As soon as the dog shakes its head to dislodge the irratation you click and reward. After a few times of doing this try without the cottonwool and if your dog is familiar with how the clicker works and has picked up on the idea it will give you a shake of the head to get a click and reward. After a few successful tries without the cotton ball you can then add a command. A discrete hand signal is also handy as then you can cue your dog when you ask a question and people won't notice the signal. Just watch with your signals though I found that my dog was mistaking the way I was holding the camera for one of her signals. ;) in this clip, but it will show you the other type of NO.

By the way, if you say YES when the dog says NO what are you going to use when you teach YES. :laugh:

That's the fun of training dogs lots of tricks you have to be careful what words you use in case you need those words for something else. Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Another method which can be used for a different style of NO using the clicker is to gently place a cottonwool ball just inside the ear just enough to tickle the ear. As soon as the dog shakes its head to dislodge the irratation you click and reward. After a few times of doing this try without the cottonwool and if your dog is familiar with how the clicker works and has picked up on the idea it will give you a shake of the head to get a click and reward. After a few successful tries without the cotton ball you can then add a command. A discrete hand signal is also handy as then you can cue your dog when you ask a question and people won't notice the signal. Just watch with your signals though I found that my dog was mistaking the way I was holding the camera for one of her signals. :) in this clip, but it will show you the other type of NO.

By the way, if you say YES when the dog says NO what are you going to use when you teach YES. :)

That's the fun of training dogs lots of tricks you have to be careful what words you use in case you need those words for something else. Have fun.

I second this!!! I used Ozjen's tip for my pup and it worked perfectly!!!!

Kikopup on YouTube has a great tutorial that shows how to do this.

yes i tried this using kikopup. I think i'm doing it wrong. he gets the idea of the target and moving his head side to side, but as soon as i remove the targets, he doesn't know what to do.

Any suggestions on how i can do this?

Edited by giraffez

yes i tried this using kikopup. I think i'm doing it wrong. he gets the idea of the target and moving his head side to side, but as soon as i remove the targets, he doesn't know what to do.

Make the targets smaller and smaller.

What are you using? If you're using a post-it or something, fold it in half or tear some of it off. Keep reducing it down until he's targeting nothing.

Make the targets smaller and smaller.

What are you using? If you're using a post-it or something, fold it in half or tear some of it off. Keep reducing it down until he's targeting nothing.

Actually i've taken the targets away (ie post it notes) and he can do it but he expects the object that the post it note was tagged to to still be there. Once i take him away from the object, he doesn't get it anymore. :laugh: Actually he runs back to the object and touches it :thumbsup:

Actually i've taken the targets away (ie post it notes) and he can do it but he expects the object that the post it note was tagged to to still be there. Once i take him away from the object, he doesn't get it anymore. :rofl: Actually he runs back to the object and touches it :laugh:

That's what Berri does, he doesn't want to sit and do it either, he stands up and leans into it rather than just turning his head. I think the treats were too high quality though, I was using sausage and he was too excited to think lol