Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Is It True That Dogs Have No Sense Of Time? - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

Is It True That Dogs Have No Sense Of Time?

#1 User is offline   myboy 

• Forum Member
  • State:QLD

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

Someone said to me the other day that it doesn't matter if I leave my boy for 30 minutes or 3 hours as he has no sense of time.

Is that true?

#2 User is offline   Staff'n'Toller 

• ~ Free Agent ~
  • State:VIC

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

It's thought that dogs have some sense of time but it is not in direct relation to ours.

I'm sure they have some idea like all animals - sun up/sun down etc.

#3 User is offline   puggy_puggy 

• Pug nut

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

The pugs tell me when it's dinner time every day.

#4 User is offline   FionaC 

• Yes I am a Conehead!
  • State:NSW

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

Yeah mine seems to know when its time for breakfast and dinner each day ..... :dancingelephant:

#5 User is offline   all that glitters 

• ...is sparkly!

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

This reminds me of something I read that said leaving a dog for 5hrs is the same as leaving it for 10hrs in it's mind.. it knows you have been gone a while but doesn't know HOW long. Hm!

#6 User is offline   WoofnHoof 

• formerly tkay
  • State:QLD

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

Time perception in people varies so who knows how dogs perceive time :dancingelephant: I do wonder how they interpret time passing and how much they understand about things to happen in the future or the past, it's interesting but still a mystery.

#7 User is offline   OSoSwift 

• Wished I was Wilbooked
  • State:WA

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:17 PM

I think they do, but as mentioned, maybe different to ours or maybe it doesn't matter to them as much?

MAny many dogs seem to know exactly what time on the clock they get fed so I am sure they do have some concept.

#8 User is offline   chichihuahua 

• Forum Regular

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:17 PM

I think they do have some idea. My dog is always very meh if I leave to pick up some milk down to street to super excited if I've just come home from a long day at uni. It's always going to be different if you left them for a week as opposed to just an hour.

#9 User is offline   joelle 

• Forum Regular

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:13 AM

my dog responds with great excitement whether ive been to the shop or to work........

#10 User is offline   joelle 

• Forum Regular

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

ooops gremlins....

This post has been edited by joelle: 09 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

#11 User is offline   Cazstaff 

• Forum Regular

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:34 AM

2 of my dogs know what time the kids get home from school. They will move to the front window to watch and wait. If the kids are late for any reason Sharni carries on like a pork chop! School camp week was great, even though she must have known Jack wasn't there she still carried on every arvo when he didn't come home :dancingelephant: .

Like others have said, if I just leave for a short time, say to drop a child at sport ect the dogs barely acknowledge me when I get back but if I have been gone for a few hours or more its all very exciting when I come home :champagne: If I have been gone for a weekend its hugely exciting and they follow me everywhere for hours!

So they must have some concept of time since they last saw me.

#12 User is offline   Red Fox 

• Forum Regular
  • State:SA

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

View Postjoelle, on 9th Nov 2009 - 12:43 AM, said:

my dog responds with great excitement whether ive been to the shop or to work........

:dancingelephant: Kei gets excited to see me again when I've only been outside checking the letterbox lol!

I do think that he has some perception of time though. He walkes OH up every morning at 6:45 on the dot, even when I sleep in.

#13 User is offline   wagsalot 

• Riley Riley Long Legs R.I.P

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Riley sits waiting at the window for OH to come home every day. He's always pretty close to the right time.

The bird starts getting excited too, but i think he tells by the noise of neighbours starting.

So...maybe Riley waits til the bird gets excited then goes and sits by the window :dancingelephant:

#14 User is offline   Tinne 

• Breeder/exhibitor/steward

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

My Saluki knew when the school bus came each morning & afternoon. In the mornings she would sit at the fence just looking out but of an afternoon she would cry & what I call talking until I let her out & on a couple of occasions she would jump the fence & race to the bus stop & wait there until the bus came. (We live on a farm & you can see the bus stop from the house). Now that my son has finished school she doesn't do any of that. :dancingelephant:

Just recently I was away (at a dog show) for much longer than I usually am (4 days) & all the dogs at home went far more berserk when I arrived than they usually do. Two of my dogs don't want to leave my side for long now & one of the cats must think I'm going to go again as she's sticking to me like glue. :champagne:

#15 User is offline   Diva 

• Forum Regular
  • State:ACT

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

From training competition stays, I think they have an excellent sense of time. If you usually train a stay for a specific time, the dog knows to the second when that time is up.

Mine also know exactly at what time I get up in the morning, not a peep out of them before that but I get a nose in the face if I'm a few minutes late.

Share this topic:

Old topic!
This topic has had no activity for over 365 days. Due to that, you will not be able to reply. Please create a new topic!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions