Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online: Norwegian Elkhound - Australian Pure Bred Dog Forums - Dogz Online

Jump to content

  • 9 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Norwegian Elkhound

#31 User is offline   Odin-Genie 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,370
  • Joined: 12-September 08
  • Location:NSW
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:07 AM

View PostNorskgra, on 17th Nov 2009 - 07:53 PM, said:

View Post~ShelleAndShyla~, on 17th Nov 2009 - 07:51 PM, said:

Was interested in a Elkie for my 2nd dog but have crossed them off the list cos of their tendency to bark :)

I will have to admire pics! :laugh:

Ours only bark if someone is around the house.

I second Norskgra's comment. My elky only barks if there is a reason. And his barking never last long. I've never had a problem with his barking.

#32 User is offline   Odin-Genie 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,370
  • Joined: 12-September 08
  • Location:NSW
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:20 AM

I am not going to get into a discussion about breeding since I know nothing about it. However, I would like to add that I got my elkhound from Elkie1 and she has been the most wonderful breeder I have come across. She provided me with all the info, kept in touch with regualr updates before I picked up Odin, continued to help and support later when I had any questions. I did not receive the same level of help from my other dog's breeder who has been breeding and showing for a very long time.

#33 User is offline   dee lee 

  • !
  • Posts: 8,543
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Location:sydney

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

View PostOdin-Genie, on 18th Nov 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

I am not going to get into a discussion about breeding since I know nothing about it. However, I would like to add that I got my elkhound from Elkie1 and she has been the most wonderful breeder I have come across. She provided me with all the info, kept in touch with regualr updates before I picked up Odin, continued to help and support later when I had any questions. I did not receive the same level of help from my other dog's breeder who has been breeding and showing for a very long time.



Oooh, Elkie1- can I have one of your Elkies? :laugh:
I am supposed to have narrowed down my breed choice butI have to admit I love the look of Elkies.

#34 User is offline   Ratty500 

  • Forum Member
  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: 15-January 09

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

View PostNorskgra, on 17th Nov 2009 - 06:48 PM, said:

Removed - Not worth it.


Agreed

as a elkhound breeder myself i didn't feel attacked by what norskgra had written.

How's The Move going Norskgra Settling in well??

This post has been edited by Ratty500: 18 November 2009 - 11:55 AM


#35 User is offline   Aziah 

  • ANKC Registered Breeder/Exhibitor
  • Posts: 11,614
  • Joined: 12-April 04
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Oh FFS no one said anyone was a bad breeder :laugh:

Getting all defensive at someone who's suggested that health testing is important (despite the fact it's not required to register a litter) only suggests to me that those getting their knickers in a knot don't bother health testing their own dogs!

#36 User is offline   Odin-Genie 

  • Forum Regular
  • Posts: 1,370
  • Joined: 12-September 08
  • Location:NSW
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

View Post✽deelee, on 18th Nov 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

I am supposed to have narrowed down my breed choice butI have to admit I love the look of Elkies.

:laugh: :) If you do get an elky we could have an elky meet since you are in Sydney too!!!

This post has been edited by Odin-Genie: 18 November 2009 - 03:16 PM


#37 User is offline   Norskgra 

  • Registered Breeder & Exhibitor, Proud MDBA Breeder Member
  • Posts: 9,328
  • Joined: 08-June 05
  • Location:Adelaide
  • State:SA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the support. I really appreciate it, especially when I haven't met some of you.

View PostRatty500, on 18th Nov 2009 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostNorskgra, on 17th Nov 2009 - 06:48 PM, said:

Removed - Not worth it.


Agreed

as a elkhound breeder myself i didn't feel attacked by what norskgra had written.

How's The Move going Norskgra Settling in well??

Thanks Ratty500. The move has gone well. We will have another trip to Sydney soon to collect the last of our stuff. We are really enjoying ourselves.

This post has been edited by Norskgra: 18 November 2009 - 05:15 PM


#38 User is offline   Ratty500 

  • Forum Member
  • Posts: 61
  • Joined: 15-January 09

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

View PostNorskgra, on 18th Nov 2009 - 05:02 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for the support. I really appreciate it.

View PostRatty500, on 18th Nov 2009 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostNorskgra, on 17th Nov 2009 - 06:48 PM, said:

Removed - Not worth it.


Agreed

as a elkhound breeder myself i didn't feel attacked by what norskgra had written.

How's The Move going Norskgra Settling in well??

Thanks Ratty500. The move has gone well. We will have another trip to Sydney soon to collect the last of our stuff. We are really enjoying ourselves.


Thats great

#39 User is offline   dee lee 

  • !
  • Posts: 8,543
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Location:sydney

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

View PostOdin-Genie, on 18th Nov 2009 - 04:16 PM, said:

View Post✽deelee, on 18th Nov 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

I am supposed to have narrowed down my breed choice butI have to admit I love the look of Elkies.

:) :) If you do get an elky we could have an elky meet since you are in Sydney too!!!

:thumbsup: Dont tempt me! I am being such a fickle tart in my breed choosing!

I especially like the fact that they have less fur than most spitz breeds (who I am a sucker for :champagne: ).

My main concern is that everyone keeps emphasising the huge amount of exercise they need.
My last dog was a high energy crossbreed who, when she was a pup, I needed to walk a minimum of an hour a day. She could go for a 40 min run with my OH, crash for about half an hour and want to go again! ;) We had to limit how often she did that because she just got fitter! :)

Is that the kind of energy level you guys are talking about? Or is it worse?

Also what are they like with kids? Are they affectionate? Very dominant?

(oh oh, here I go again... :champagne: )

#40 User is offline   Elkie1 

  • Breeder / Exhibitor / Elkieholic
  • Posts: 1,294
  • Joined: 03-September 06
  • Location:Bargo
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

View Postmersonmalinois, on 18th Nov 2009 - 07:37 AM, said:

View PostElkie1, on 18th Nov 2009 - 06:35 AM, said:

View Postmersonmalinois, on 18th Nov 2009 - 07:31 AM, said:

Elkie1, what health checks have you done on your dogs? How long have you been breeding? Just curious as you seem like a complete novice by the way you come across in many threads. I hope I am wrong and that you do health check your dogs and agree that health checks are important before breeding any dog.


I do health check my dogs before breeding and I do think it is important.


Excellent! Glad to know you are one of the NE breeders in Oz who take the health of the breed seriously. What tests do you do on your dogs? In my breed we do hips, elbows, eyes and often cardiac & thyroid. What do you feel is important for your breed?

eta: Oh yeah, how long have you been breeding?


All our elkhounds have a yearly all round thorough checkup by the vet, they also get a health check before we plan on going ahead with any mating. There hips are examined - not tested , their eyes, their heart rate ( as one of our bitches came from a litter which had a puppy born with a heart murmer), breathing but mostly basic routine health checks. But if requiered would no doubt do any further testing on our dogs if it was in the best intetest for them. We have a very close relationship with our vet and they personally know our dogs very well. They have given all our dogs the all clear in health.

As for how many years I have been breeding.

I have owned Norwegian Elkhound for 5 years now. done lots of research on the breed before we got our first. Was very selective with our second. We started show 5 years ago and was told to breed our bitch at 18 months of age with a certain dog. I believe the bitch was not raeady to be mated and planed for her to be mated at 2 years of age. The dog we planed on using first off became in my thought an undesirable match to her and so we used another dog. We have had three litters and started breeding elkhounds in 2007. Odin-Genie owns one of my puppies from the first litter,we own the only bitch, one went to Victoria and the last puppy went to another member of Odin-Genies family.

2nd litter, we used the dog we didn't use for the first mating to a differend bitch and had 5 beuftiful puppies. 2 oh which went to the in-laws of Rachelbuck. one of which went to a young boy with autisum.

3rd litter we had 6 puppies and lost two. the vet was in contact with us all through the development of the litter if we were to loos a third, all dead puppies would have went away for test. At that time, a virus was going around my area killing whole litters of puppies. Fortunatly, the remaning 4 survived. We show the two boys and the two girls went to Victoria.

All puppies are health checked (basic all over vet check - unless the vet requiers further evaluation) within 24 hours of birth and again at 6 weeks before we take any deposits. If the puppy does not seem well or moving as one should, we will imediantly have the vet do a check up on the puppy. We will never sell a puppy we don't think is healthy to a prospective buyer as I would not want to receive an ill puppy myself.

All puppies we have had are all very healthy and doing very well (from last contacts with owners) I have always told the new owners of our puppies if there is something wrong, we'd like to know. if they have a question don't hesitate to ring or email or even ask. I love nothing better then to know that the puppies we have produced are doing fine in which they are. (from last contacts with owners) :thumbsup:

ETA - The dog we are using next for stud had his kidneys tested in October ths year and came back fine.

This post has been edited by Elkie1: 19 November 2009 - 04:19 PM


#41 User is offline   Elkie1 

  • Breeder / Exhibitor / Elkieholic
  • Posts: 1,294
  • Joined: 03-September 06
  • Location:Bargo
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

View PostOdin-Genie, on 18th Nov 2009 - 07:58 AM, said:

View PostElkie1, on 17th Nov 2009 - 06:51 PM, said:

Another thing Norwegian Elkhounds can suffer from is sebaceous cysts. Luckily only one of mine has had one, and was easy to remove.

In experience, some elkhound can be allergice to different foods. an elkhound I know is allergice to beef products and Odin-Genie, Odin is allergice to Chicken products.

Actually, Odin is now perfectly fine with chicken. But he can't digest beef and pork. I give him lamb bones.


that's great to hear, now he can enjoy the yummy tast of chicken. He seem to now take after his uncle Taz :thumbsup:

#42 User is offline   Norskgra 

  • Registered Breeder & Exhibitor, Proud MDBA Breeder Member
  • Posts: 9,328
  • Joined: 08-June 05
  • Location:Adelaide
  • State:SA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

View Post✽deelee, on 18th Nov 2009 - 07:21 PM, said:

View PostOdin-Genie, on 18th Nov 2009 - 04:16 PM, said:

View Post✽deelee, on 18th Nov 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

I am supposed to have narrowed down my breed choice butI have to admit I love the look of Elkies.

:) :) If you do get an elky we could have an elky meet since you are in Sydney too!!!

:thumbsup: Dont tempt me! I am being such a fickle tart in my breed choosing!

I especially like the fact that they have less fur than most spitz breeds (who I am a sucker for :champagne: ).

My main concern is that everyone keeps emphasising the huge amount of exercise they need.
My last dog was a high energy crossbreed who, when she was a pup, I needed to walk a minimum of an hour a day. She could go for a 40 min run with my OH, crash for about half an hour and want to go again! ;) We had to limit how often she did that because she just got fitter! :)

Is that the kind of energy level you guys are talking about? Or is it worse?

Also what are they like with kids? Are they affectionate? Very dominant?

(oh oh, here I go again... :champagne: )

Elkhounds are very adaptable. If you want to run 5 - 10 km per day, they will happily run beside you but if you prefer to sit and watch TV, they are just as happy sitting with you.

I don't feel that they have the same energy level as your last dog. Mine get their exercise playing together in the backyard.

They are great with kids. They are very affectionate and loving. The majority of Elkies are not dominant.

#43 User is offline   Elkie1 

  • Breeder / Exhibitor / Elkieholic
  • Posts: 1,294
  • Joined: 03-September 06
  • Location:Bargo
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

View PostOdin-Genie, on 18th Nov 2009 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostElkie1, on 17th Nov 2009 - 06:43 PM, said:

View Post✽deelee, on 17th Nov 2009 - 01:01 PM, said:

What are they like with other dogs?
Are they gregarious or do they have a tendency to ignore them?


From personal experience,

My sister has a cross bred dog who gets along with all my elkies. My recent little puppy (5 months of age) loves nothing better then to play with all his puppy friends in sweepstakes :thumbsup:

We also have a bitch, socialised the same way all our elkies have been but since she had a urine infection as a young puppy, around the time when a dog lashed out at her and resulted in her splitting her ear open, she will not get along with anyother dog now. She is happiest on her own. But she loves greeting people in the comfort of her own enviroment.


From purely personal experience my elkhound is excellent with other dogs. He wrestles and chases dogs that want to play, leaves those alone who don't want to play. Most people in the dog park comment on his good doggy manners. He is very gentle with puppies and smaller dogs and often sits down in front of them to make them comfortable, but at the same time he is never submissive. If any dog gets too boistrous, he just walks away. He has the best possible temperament I could have asked for.



You know, Hannah also has a fantastic temprement. I would love if all my elkies had her temprement. She's just lovable and will sit with you all day. If she could lay on the lounge and watch TV with you she would. right now she is sleeping in my room as she has an eye infection. She is on antibiotics and may not begoing to Spring fair. But their is always another show. Her health is more inportant than a show.

She will see the vet for an examination tomorrow.

#44 User is offline   Elkie1 

  • Breeder / Exhibitor / Elkieholic
  • Posts: 1,294
  • Joined: 03-September 06
  • Location:Bargo
  • State:NSW

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

View Post✽deelee, on 18th Nov 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

View PostOdin-Genie, on 18th Nov 2009 - 09:20 AM, said:

I am not going to get into a discussion about breeding since I know nothing about it. However, I would like to add that I got my elkhound from Elkie1 and she has been the most wonderful breeder I have come across. She provided me with all the info, kept in touch with regualr updates before I picked up Odin, continued to help and support later when I had any questions. I did not receive the same level of help from my other dog's breeder who has been breeding and showing for a very long time.



Oooh, Elkie1- can I have one of your Elkies? :thumbsup:
I am supposed to have narrowed down my breed choice butI have to admit I love the look of Elkies.


:) Of course you can ;)

Warning though, they are like tim tams, you can never stop at one :champagne:

#45 User is offline   dee lee 

  • !
  • Posts: 8,543
  • Joined: 28-June 07
  • Location:sydney

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:35 PM

They are sounding better and better.

Are they hard to get? Are they expensive?

(getting to the nitty gritty here :thumbsup: )

Share this topic:


  • 9 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


Privacy Policy | Web Site Terms and Conditions